Medical Services

Support & Advice Services 

Medical Services

It is important to register with a doctor (GP) as soon as you arrive in Aberdeen.

During this time when pressure is on our health services, we wanted to provide you with some useful information to help you manage any health concerns or issues as they arise. We have been asked to share with you different means and alternative methods of receiving medical support and care. Where appropriate, this may include visiting a pharmacy, optician or dentist before contacting a GP. 

View these useful resources from Aberdeen City Health and Social Care Partnership:

GP Practices

We want to advise you that most of the Aberdeen GP practices opened their lists on the 28th July 2023, while there are a number of practices that aren’t open to new patients, other Aberdeen practices are open and accepting new patient students (based on postcode).

NHS 24

If it's a non-life threatening emergency, and you need medical assistance urgently out-with your surgery opening hours call NHS 24 on 111

The NHS 24 111 service provides urgent health advice out of hours, when your GP practice or dentist is closed.

It's sometimes referred to as 'unscheduled care services'. This means that the service is there for you, in the out of hours period when other sources of support such as your doctor or dentist are closed. We deal with the majority of calls during:

  • Monday to Thursday, 6.00pm to 8.00am
  • 6.00pm on Friday to 8.00am on Monday

People across Scotland can access the service, on landlines and mobile phones free of charge, using a number that is short and easy to remember.

Local Medical Practices and Pharmacies

Find out where the nearest Pharmacies and Medical Practices are in and around Aberdeen.

Dental Services

The NHS can also offer dental services, subject to availability. Search for a dental practice near you:

Important health advice for students

Registering with a Family Doctor/Medical Practice/ General Practitioner (GP)

  • If you are unwell during your time as a student, you may need to receive treatment from a local Family Doctor/General Practitioner (GP). New students will receive information about which GP practice to register with in the RGU Student Handbook.
  • If you are a returning student who has not already registered with a GP, you should refer to the information provided on the NHS Scotland website to locate the GP practice which is closest to your place of residence.

Meningitis ACWY Vaccination

  • Health Protection Grampian advises that ALL international students who are under the age of 25 and at University for the first time should make sure that they are vaccinated against Meningitis ACWY BEFORE coming to the UK. 
  • Further information about the importance of the vaccination can be found at Immunisation Scotland.

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

EEA students will not be removed from the UK or refused entry solely because they do not have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI), however please be aware that it is a requirement for EEA students and their family members to have CSI.

The UK government does not accept access to the National Health Service (NHS) as meeting this requirement and has said it will only accept one of the following as evidence of CSI:

We would advise that EEA students obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued from their country of origin prior to coming to the UK to cover them for their stay as a student.  This card should be free of charge.  Students are also recommended to take out comprehensive private medical insurance to cover them for all eventualities.

Costs of Medical Treatment with the NHS

The National Health Service (NHS) is a publicly funded healthcare system of the United Kingdom and provides free health and medical care for all UK citizens.

UK students

NHS services are free for UK students.

EU Students

Students from EU countries may be eligible for free treatment or services from the NHS through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) system. Find out the latest guidance:

International Students

Student visa holders of over 6 months validity

As part of your visa application you will be required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). The cost is £470 for every 12 months stay in the UK.

Paying the IHS entitles you to routine healthcare under the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK. We advise you to register with  GP should you require medical treatment and/or attention.

Student visa holders of less than 6 months validity

If you are coming to the UK as a Student visa holder of less than 6 months validity, you are advised to take out private medical insurance before you arrive in the UK.

You can register with a National Health Service practice but please be aware that as a private patient you will have to pay for consultation, treatment, and any medication.

Cookie Consent