Our main Garthdee campus is well served by a number of bus routes, and Aberdeen is easily accessible by air, train and car. Excellent public transport links and easily accessible campuses make it very easy for you to find us.
First Aberdeen services 1 & 2 operate between the City Centre and the Garthdee Campus. Services 1 and 2 travel from the Bridge of Don to Garthdee and back, via Union Street, every 4 minutes or less at peak times.
Ticket options available to both staff and students:
- Pay the driver on the bus for a single fare or a day return (students must show ID card)
- Staff and students: a weekly/4 weekly/12 weekly pass can be bought in advance
- Students: an academic year ticket is available
Tickets can be purchased using the mTicket mobile app. It is a convenient way to purchase and store your bus ticket.
Where to buy tickets in advance
- All tickets are available to buy from First Travel Centre, 47 Union Street, Aberdeen
(Monday to Friday 09.00 - 17.30 and Saturday 09.00 - 16.30 ) and the First Depot, King Street, Aberdeen
- Student Weekly/4 Weekly/15 Weekly/Carnet tickets are also available to buy from Student Union Shop, The Sir Ian Wood Building, Garthdee
(Monday to Friday 09.00 - 16.30)
Robert Gordon University encourages cycling as a healthy, cheap and environmentally friendly way to get to University.
There is cycle parking across campus, and there are lockers and changing facilities in most buildings.
The best way to cycle to Garthdee is along the old Deeside Railway Line, but more experienced cyclist may choose to use alternative routes.
Garthdee Campus is best accessed from the station by either taxi or bus from Aberdeen Rail Station.
Taxi will take approximately 15 minutes and will cost around £12.
If you are travelling from Aberdeen Rail Station, you can add a PlusBus ticket to your train ticket, giving you unlimited bus travel around Aberdeen. Bus numbers 1 or 2 are covered by this and take you straight to the Garthdee Campus.
Bus directions to Garthdee from Aberdeen Rail Station
- Exit the station via the steps across from the Station Hotel.
- Cross Guild Street at the pedestrian crossing and turn to the left.
- Enter the Mall Trinity, approximately 10 yards ahead. Proceed straight through the Mall Trinity and exit on to Union Street.
- Turn to the right and proceed to the first bus stop.
- The number 1 or 2 buses will take you to Garthdee. The bus will take approximately 30 minutes and will cost £2.60. A PlusBus ticket will cost you £3 for unlimited use of buses in Aberdeen or £2 if you have a Railcard.
Aberdeen Airport is 7 miles north of the City Centre. Several airlines operate direct scheduled flights to Aberdeen, from UK and European airports, which include
Getting to Garthdee From the Airport
The Stagecoach 727 services operates a regular frequency from the airport to the city centre. It costs £2.90 and will take approximately 35 minutes (longer at peak times).
From the city centre to Garthdee, the number 1 or 2 First buses will take you to the Garthdee campus.
A taxi from the airport to Garthdee will take approximately 25 minutes (longer at peak times), and will cost approximately £20.
Robert Gordon University operates a lift sharing scheme as part of its Green Travel Plan to encourage the reduction of vehicles travelling to its sites.
The aims of the Lift Share scheme are:
- to reduce the impact of single car occupancy on the local environment
- to offer staff and students an alternative to lone driving wherever possible
- to utilise the limited car parking resources as efficiently as possible
Priority is given to those who choose to lift share. To encourage lift sharing, the cost of permit is reduced and dedicated car share bays will be available near each building on the Garthdee Campus.
Lift sharing is when two or more registered drivers, who reside at different addresses, share the journey to and from the University by car. A lift share team can include both staff and students.
Applications for lift share permits are open each April-July for staff and returning students, and new students will have the opportunity to apply once the have received their enrolment information and RGU login details.
For those who do not already have a Lift Share partner, Robert Gordon University work with a Scotland wide Liftshare scheme who have an online search facility to help you find someone to share with. Even if you are not a car driver, you can still use the online search facility to find someone to share the journey with.