Short Course - 30 credits at SCQF level 9 or 30 credits at SCQF level 11 | ECTS points 15
Applications Now Open
- Holistic consultation through analysis of consultation models and assessment tools
- Pharmacology; pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drugs
- Critiquing evidence base practice to inform decision making
- Non-medical prescribing influences on practice
- Prescribing within a team context
The University regularly reviews its courses. Course content and structure may change over time. See our course and module disclaimer for more information.
The module is delivered using a blend of face to face teaching (5 single study days) and online materials including online chat, virtual classroom and discussion forums. In addition, you will engage with directed and self-directed learning activities supported by the module team.
This course is assessed through practice portfolio and exam.
The Disability & Dyslexia Centre advises and supports students who disclose a sensory or mobility impairment, chronic medical condition, mental health issue, dyslexia and other specific learning differences. Applicants are encouraged to arrange a pre-entry visit to discuss any concerns and to view the facilities.
Study Skills Support
The Study Support Team provides training and support to all students in:
- Academic writing
- Study skills (note taking, exam techniques, time management, presentation)
- Maths and statistics
- English language
- Information technology support
- Valid registration with the Health and Care Professions Council or the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Nurse/midwives and relevant allied health professionals are required to have a minimum of three years relevant post registration experience and have been in the clinical field in which they intend to prescribe from for at least one year preceding application
- Demonstrate an ability to study at degree level for level 9 and honours level for level 11-written approval from the employer that requirements of the local prescribing clinical governance infrastructure are fulfilled
- Written confirmation from a designated prescribing assessor who meets the criteria outlined by the National Prescribing Centre
For new intakes course fees are reviewed and published annually for each mode of delivery. Tuition fees are fixed for the duration of a course at the rate confirmed in the offer letter. For further information see:
Taking this course, you will have access to some of the world's best facilities.
We've invested more than £100 million in the development of our campus, new facilities and new resources.University Wide Facilities
Apply for School of Nursing and Midwifery short courses by requesting an application pack by email.
Have a question about the course? Get in touch with the Nursing CPD team and we'll do our best to help.