Now, more than ever, is the time to ensure your workforce has the right skills and capabilities to help support your organisation’s future success.
Graduate Apprenticeships (GAs) are designed around the needs of business and industry and allow employees to continue to work while they earn their degree over the course of up to four years.
Working in partnership with RGU to build the workforce of your future, GAs involve business in the learning process so that it fits seamlessly with your operational priorities and supports the skills needs for your organisation’s future success as our economy recovers.
Developed by Skills Development Scotland, in response to employer demands, Graduate Apprenticeships:
- Address national skills shortages in key areas, such as digital technology and construction
- Allow employers to shape their workforce in line with business demands
- Offer a high value, low cost option for employers to retain and upskill staff
START February 2024
New pathways include:
- Architectural Technology
- Building Surveying
- Construction Management
- Quantity Surveying
Find out more about our courses:
- Graduate Apprenticeship in MSc Cyber Security
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BSc (Hons) Construction and the Built Environment
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BEng (Hons) Engineering: Design & Manufacture
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BEng (Hons) Engineering: Instrumentation, Measurement & Control
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BA (Hons) Business Management
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BSc (Hons) Data Science
- Graduate Apprenticeship in BA (Hons) Accounting
To be eligible your employee must live and work in Scotland in a role related to the course topic.
You can take on a new recruit specifically to undertake a Graduate Apprenticeship or enrol an existing employee.
RGU use a blended learning approach supported by our Virtual Learning Environment, with online lectures, discussion forums and access to course materials. This is complemented by on-campus sessions at RGU in Aberdeen to exchange ideas with their peer group and tutors.
Apprentices apply their learning and skills to solve workplace problems. RGU will support participants with structured learning and reflective practice, while company mentors will help them to apply theory to workplace reality. Assessments can link to your employee’s job, typically via portfolios or projects they do within your business.
Employer & Mentor Benefits
- Suitable for new and existing employees
- Mould recruits from the outset
- Access high-quality staff training at no extra cost
- Designed with industry for your business needs
- Develop and retain skilled employees
- Enhance productivity, morale and service quality
- Mentor peer-group discussions and training opportunities
- Dedicated support from RGU’s course delivery team, including the GA Mentor Consultant
- Opportunity to develop a close working relationship with RGU and access project funding streams
- Opportunity to participate in innovative teaching, learning and assessment methods
- Study towards your degree without taking a break from employment or building up student debt
- Support from your employer and mentor to undertake work-based learning and protected time for study
- Access to subject matter experts in your business
- Applying your new learning into practice through work-based projects
- Apprentice peer and study group support
- Dedicated support from RGU’s course delivery team, including Course Leaders and the GA Success Coach
- Opportunity to become part of the wider RGU student community, including RGU’s Student Union and clubs
- Fantastic career prospects both during and after your studies
RGU has decades of experience in working with employers to design programmes that enable employees to study and learn new skills while maintaining workplace productivity.
As a transformational work-based learning initiative Graduate Apprenticeships fit with RGU’s strengths and ethos.
Our engagement with employers has highlighted the importance of offering a flexible approach which allows the apprentice to spend as much time as possible in the work environment, only coming to campus when necessary. Our delivery model support the learning needs of apprentices regardless of their location.
Each year Scottish Apprenticeship Week shines a light on the vital role apprenticeships play in supporting people, employers and the economy.
2022 EVENT recordings
Watch a recording of the 2022 event to find out more about the benefits of work based mentoring in a learning environment and how it can benefit your business.
Watch a recording of the 2022 event highlighting current cyber security concerns in relation to technology-related risk management, from the context of ICAS subject Risk & Technology.
TESTIMONIALS AND CASE STUDIES
Find out more about the experience of being a Graduate Apprenticeship student.
George is an Assistant Accountant with TaxAssist, who is studying for the Graduate Apprenticeship in BA (Hons) Accounting
Find out more
Please get in touch to discuss how we can work together.
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 1224 263119
"Overall, the experience has been great. It has been very challenging at times, but I have gained so much from the GA that sacrificing some of my own time has been well worth it. There is a huge sense of satisfaction that comes from submitting an assessment and achieving good grades.
"The course has given me an opportunity to expand my network within EnerMech and get to know people throughout the business. I have grown as a person while completing the GA course, gaining confidence and a better understanding of myself."
- Callum Duguid, Contract Support Engineer and Graduate Apprentice Student, EnerMech
"One of the main things which appealed to me about the GA programme was the blended learning route. Not only am I learning the underpinning theory of accountancy processes and concepts, I am able to take what I learn and apply it in my day-to-day job.
"I feel as though having this GA programme to progress through has allowed me to gain more knowledge and insight into the company. The main benefit for me is being able to put the learning materials into practice in my role. It really demonstrates to me how this programme is allowing me to develop."
- Emma Finegan, Accounts Assistant and Graduate Apprentice Student, IKM Testing UK Ltd.