After You Apply

International Students

After You Apply

Find out about what happens once you have applied to Robert Gordon University and how you can prepare for coming to join us in Aberdeen.

Your Offer

Once you have submitted a complete application to us, we will do our best to get a decision to you within one week.

Please understand that this timeframe alters depending on what course you are applying to and also the time of year you apply. If you have any queries about your application, we are happy to answer these over the phone or through email.

I have received a Conditional Offer, what do I do now?

Most international students will initially get a conditional offer of acceptance. This means we are happy in principle to accept you to study at Robert Gordon University but you must meet certain conditions first. The most common conditions are:

  • Completing an existing course (for example passing your Bachelors before coming to do a Masters with us). Please upload your degree documents to your Apply Yourself record or email the Admissions Office with these.
  • Proving that your English language is good enough for University-level study. In this case you should send us a copy of your IELTS or TOEFL certificate as soon as it is available. Please upload these documents to your Apply Yourself record or email the Admissions Office with these.
  • Making a pre-payment (deposit) for international students. In this case you must arrange to pay the  University before we can release an Unconditional Offer. To find out how to do this, please visit the Making Payment page. 

How do I get an Unconditional Offer and CAS letter?

Once you have fulfilled the conditions of your Conditional Offer, we will issue your Unconditional Offer and CAS number and statement. The UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) requires CAS numbers and statements for all student visa applications.

The personal CAS number we issue will link directly to the UKVI database to facilitate your visa application. Your CAS statement confirms that:

  • The University is prepared to offer you a place on a course,
  • You have met any academic conditions that were asked of you 
  • You have paid your pre-payment of your tuition fees as stated on your offer letter.

Regarding pre-payments, this means when we have received your payment in our bank account here in Aberdeen, which may be several weeks after you transfer it, if you are making an overseas bank transfer.

The pre-payment policy of the university can be downloaded:


At Robert Gordon University, we have a policy for asking students to pay a deposit before an Unconditional Offer is made.

This is in order to:

  • Support the University's administrative and financial processes as well as the provision of immigration advice from UK Immigration authorities
  • Maintain a rigorous check to prevent fraudulent or frivolous applications
  • Ensure consistency of approach in line with our general duty to promote equality of opportunity in terms of the University's Equity and Diversity Policy.

The pre-payment for students beginning their studies is required - the exact amount you are required to pay will be stated on your offer letter. This must be paid before a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) number and statement will be issued and sent to you, which are required for you to begin the visa application process.

It is important to understand that the deposit is normally only refunded if a student fails to secure a visa to enter the UK as a student. For example if you pay the deposit and successfully arrive in the UK but then decide you want to study at a different institution, you will lose the deposit that you have paid.

When should I pay my deposit?

For the correct dates for the intake you are applying to, please use our Application Deadline information which includes the deadline for paying your deposit.

To receive your Unconditional Offer in plenty of time so that you can apply for your UK student visa, you should pay the deposit as early as possible. 

In some countries (Pakistan and Nigeria, for example) it can take many weeks at busy times (June - September) to obtain a UK student visa. We therefore recommend that you pay your deposit earlier than the dates provided in order to ensure that you have sufficient time to get your visa.

How should I pay my deposit?

ATAS Certificates

Do I Need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate?

An ATAS clearance certificate will be a mandatory requirement for some Postgraduate Research, Postgraduate Masters and some Undergraduate students in science, engineering or technology disciplines.

You do not need an ATAS Certificate if you are a UK/EU/EEA national.

You do need an ATAS certificate if:

  • You require a student Entry Clearance or Visa to commence study in the UK.
  • You wish to study within certain subject areas (list provided at the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) website) at a UK University where the exit award will be a Doctorate Postgraduate Masters Degree by Research or a Masters Degree.
  • You are applying for a visa extension and your subject area falls within the list provided by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Check for ATAS eligibility.

Should the course you choose to study at Robert Gordon University require an ATAS certificate, we will notify you.


We recommend that you book and confirm your accommodation before you leave your home country.

  • RGU Accommodation endeavours to provide accommodation to non-UK students who apply in advance.
  • University accommodation is limited and not guaranteed, however, and you must apply in plenty of time.
  • For full information, visit the Accommodation pages.

Deferring Entry

The possibility of deferring entry will depend on the status of your current application and the conditions you have met as part of it, therefore each request is considered individually.

If you think that you would like to defer your studies, you can contact the Student Admissions Service to assist you.

Course content and academic entry requirements can vary from year to year, therefore, students may only be able to defer entry for one academic year.  If you wish to be considered for a future intake, please email Admissions and one of our Admissions Officers would be delighted to help.

Cookie Consent