Arbitral Award Writing
Applications Now Open
On this course you will learn about the key component parts of an arbitral award, how to analyse the facts and legal issues in an arbitration and find out about the legal and formal requirements of an arbitral award.
This is an optional non-credit bearing six week course, consisting of four weeks online tuition followed by the award writing assessment.
By the conclusion of this course, you should be able to:
- Analyse the facts and legal issues in an arbitration with a view to preparing an award
- Discover the different types of arbitral award
- Analyse the key component parts of an arbitral award
- Gain knowledge of the legal and formal requirements of an arbitral award
- Understand the importance of reflecting reasons adequately in an award
- Grasp and apply the peculiarities that arise in the drafting of an award with cross border (international) implications
- Work and study with flexibility
- Help and support when you need it
- 93% of our distance learning students say 'it has been worth the investment of time'
Assessment will be made by way of open book assessment at a venue arranged in accordance with the University’s procedures:
The marking scheme will be identical to that adopted by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators for their award writing exams. The passmark will be 50% but for CIArb Fellowship exemption purposes the passmark will be 70%, as per CIArb’s equivalent assessment.
The Disability & Dyslexia Centre advises and supports students who disclose a sensory or mobility impairment, chronic medical condition, mental health issue, dyslexia and other specific learning differences. Applicants are encouraged to arrange a pre-entry visit to discuss any concerns and to view the facilities.
Study Skills Support
The Study Support Team provides training and support to all students in:
- Academic writing
- Study skills (note taking, exam techniques, time management, presentation)
- Maths and statistics
- English language
- Information technology support
This course is for arbitrators, mediators and adjudicators, or anyone with a professional interest in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
For new intakes course fees are reviewed and published annually for each mode of delivery. Tuition fees are fixed for the duration of a course at the rate confirmed in the offer letter. For further information see:
Students who successfully complete this course with a grade of 70% or higher will be exempt from the Fellowship examinations of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Module 4 (Arbitration and International Arbitration Pathways).
Please note: this only applies to students who have passed the Institute’s Arbitration or International Arbitration Modules 1, 2 and 3 or are eligible for exemption from the Institute’s Arbitration or International Arbitration Modules 1, 2 and 3 via passing the equivalent modules on the accredited course of a Recognised Course Provider to Membership level.
- Taking this course, you will have access to some of the world's best facilities.
Taking this course, you will have access to some of the world's best facilities.
We've invested more than £100 million in the development of our campus, new facilities and new resources.University Wide Facilities
Applicants can apply direct to the University using our online form.
Have a question about the course? Get in touch with the Course Leader who will be delighted to help.