Alternative Accommodation


Alternative Accommodation

There are many options to choose from if purpose built student accommodation is not for you or you are looking for visitor accommodation.

RGU Accommodation

RGU has self-catering accommodation at four sites across the city, which are a great option for many students. The RGU Accommodation team can help you choose which option is best for you, and can be contacted via:

Alternative Accommodation

We’re also aware that for many students (including those who would like to live with family or dependants), halls may not be the best option for you, so RGU ResLife can provide you with advice relating to other options available.

If you want to discuss the options available, you can contact the RGU ResLife team via:

  • Email:
  • Phone: +44 (0) 1224 262019
  • In person at the Student Help Point: Monday – Friday, 11:00 – 15:00
  • At one of our Drop-in Sessions at the Student Help Point: Wednesday, 10:00 - 12:00 and 14:00 - 16:00

ResLife also produces the Moving On Guide annually, which provides students with top tips and advice around finding accommodation in private halls and private flats. It will also give you some useful information about what to look out for and some things that you may wish to consider before signing a lease for a property:

Private Rented Sector

There is a large private rented sector in Aberdeen which has become more flexible and affordable in recent years.

Whilst the majority of landlords and agents operate in accordance with legislation and good practice, you should take extra care to ensure you aren’t affected by rogue landlords, scams or illegal practices. We would strongly recommend that you read the advice from RGU:Union Live Right and Shelter Scotland before you sign any leases or hand over any money and if in doubt, you can contact the ResLife team directly.

Within the private rented sector, you can look for a room in shared accommodation (sometimes with a resident landlord) or rent a whole flat either by yourself or with a group of friends.

Locan letting agencies and key websites on this page will list local properties available for rent. Please note, we do not endorse any specific websites or agencies. We strongly advise that you confirm all relevant details and follow the advice contained on the Shelter Scotland website.

  • RGU:Move is a Facebook group created and maintained by RGU students, for students across Aberdeen to search for and advertise properties to let, room vacancies within flats or for people looking for flatmates.

Private Accommodation

A number of local letting agents are confirmed registered members with the Scottish Association of Landlords. This is not an exhaustive list.

Other websites also list properties available to rent, which are posted by various landlords and agencies:

Guarantors and Rent in Advance

Landlords or letting agents will likely ask for a UK based guarantor (someone who is prepared to pay your rent if you default). If you are unable to provide a UK based guarantor, your landlord may ask you to pay a certain amount of rent upfront (usually between 3-6 month’s rent) as an alternative.

There are several guarantor schemes available in the UK, which your landlord or letting agent may point you towards. Please ensure you fully understand any upfront cost and ongoing fees that such schemes entail before you sign up.

You can find out more about upfront rent (Rent in advance):

Please note: the University is not able to act as a guarantor for students.

Short Term and Visitor Accommodation

You might be looking for accommodation for visitors or somewhere to stay for a short while.

RGU Accommodation has short term lets (maximum four weeks) available for students and non-students in our Woolmanhill Flats student accommodation. Please note, this option is not suitable for students with children or other family members. For more information, please email

Hotels or short-term lets in private accommodation may be the best option for students who have children or other family members with them. There are many different websites can be used to find such options including:

For visitor accommodation and tourist Information:

Accommodation Locations

Further Information

If there are any other topics or information you would like to see on this page, please let us know via

Cookie Consent