Find out the latest guidance and information about the impact of COVID-19 on the University.

COVID-19: Advice for Staff, Students and Community
Immigration Advice for Current & Prospective Students

Studying at RGU

Immigration Advice for Current & Prospective Students

Advice for current and prospective international RGU students about visas, working and travelling.

Travelling to Scotland


This will depend on the country you are travelling from, or any countries you are travelling through.

Since 4 October 2021, the international travel traffic-light system to protect public health has been revised by both the Scottish and UK Governments, making it more streamlined for travellers. The green and amber country lists are now gone, but the red list will remain for countries deemed to have high COVID-19 case rates or variants of concern.

Red List countries and areas

The full Red List of countries and areas is available from the Scottish Government website. This information is regularly updated, so we recommend checking this often as countries can change status quickly.

If you have been in a country or area on the Red List at any point in the 10 days before you travel to Scotland, you’ll need to:

When boarding your plane, you will need to provide proof that you have taken the test, and that the result of the test was negative. You may also be asked to provide proof of a negative test when you arrive in Scotland.

On arrival in Scotland, you must quarantine in the hotel you’ve booked for 10 days. If you test positive for COVID-19 while in quarantine, you may need to quarantine for longer.

We have in place support measures related to the costs incurred from mandatory hotel managed quarantine for new students coming from Red list countries. If you are travelling from a Red list country, please check your email for our communications to you about this support.

Countries and areas not on the Red List

Students arriving from within the Common Travel Area, or other parts of the world which are not on the Red List, do not need to complete any period of quarantine or self-isolation providing that they have not travelled out with these areas in the 10 days before their arrival in Scotland.

Current Students

My 90 day visa vignette has expired and I need to travel to the UK.  What should I do?

The Scottish Government has announced strict measures which require anyone arriving in Scotland from outside the UK, from Monday 15 February, to quarantine in a designated hotel for 10 days and at a cost of £1,750, at present paid by the traveller.

In light of this, we are advising all students who were scheduled to commence in-person teaching at RGU to very carefully consider the Scottish Government guidelines, the public health considerations and the financial implications associated with travel at the current time. We would recommend that students, not currently in the UK, strongly consider continuing your learning through our comprehensive online provision.

However, if you do need to travel, please note that you must not travel to the UK if the Entry Clearance vignette has expired. You will not be given entry into the UK if you do.

Instead, you must apply for a 'replacement BRP visa'  which allows you to travel into the UK once only. This costs £154.

You are advised only to apply for a Student visa or apply to replace an expired vignette, when you are confident you can travel to the UK.


The lateral flow testing the Scottish Government is providing through the University is different to the PCR testing commonly required for travel.

PCR test providers include:

None of the providers are affiliated with the University nor do we endorse the services they provide.

I am continuing my studies (inside or outside of the UK), but have become unwell due to the Coronavirus, what should I do?

Any student who has had their study impacted due to self-isolation/illness relating to COVID-19 should complete either:

  • Coursework Extension Form - Self-Certification; or
  • Deferral Request Form - Self-Certification.

Find the forms in the Student Forms section of the Applicant and Student Forms page:

These forms should be completed and submitted through your RGU email account to your School at the designated email address:

My visa is due to expire and I need to continue my studies, what should I do?

Prospective Students

What should I do if visa centres are closed?

If you are from Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East you can visit TLScontact website for more information. Students from all other countries visit VFS Global for the latest updates for guidance, they regularly update the website with relevant information for your home country.

Are there extended deadlines for CAS?

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is a unique reference number given to you by your immigration sponsor (usually your educational institution) to study in the UK. A CAS number is required for the Student Route visa process. We will offer flexibility where possible and will provide more detailed information on dates nearer the time.

What access is there to NHS Healthcare for Coronavirus diagnosis and treatment for Overseas visitors?

Emergency Legislation - The National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2020 has been introduced so that all overseas visitors in Scotland will not be charged for the diagnosis and treatment of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Other questions?

If we didn’t answer your question, you can log a query with the Student Immigration Team via ASK RGU and a member of the team will be in touch.

Cookie Consent