ISAK Anthropometry Course
Applications Now Open
The University offer both ISAK level 1 and level 2 courses, and an opportunity for re-accreditation for those whose accreditation is due for renewal or has lapsed for less than 2 years. All anthropometry equipment is provided and final assessment is in the form of a practical exam.
The course includes:
- Direct lecturing, practical training and technique coaching by qualified ISAK instructors
- 125 page 2011 current edition ISAK manual (Stewart, A., Marfell-Jones, M., Olds, T. & de Ridder, H. (2011). International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment. International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, Lower Hutt, New Zealand) for detailed measurement descriptions
- Proforma sheet templates for transcribing measurement data
- Excel spreadsheet tool for post-course measurements
- Copies of all lecture materials
A precise timetable will be sent to participants once enrolled.
The course format consists of theoretical and practical components. It includes lectures and interactive seminars/demonstrations delivered over 6 hours, and participants working in small groups measuring and being measured as an integral part of the learning process.
The course is delivered by both the School of Health Sciences and the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences.
Level 1 is undertaken over 3 consecutive days, whilst level 2 is undertaken over 4 days. Re-accreditation requires attendance for only 1 day.
There will be a practical exam that includes provision of volunteers to be measured.
The courses are delivered by ISAK-certified trainers and are hosted at the Robert Gordon University's Garthdee campus.
For Bed & Breakfast accommodation, see the Scottish Accommodation Index website.
We have provided a list of various hotels that offer RGU Corporate rates. To be eligible for these rates when booking, please quote “RGU/Robert Gordon University”.
- Radisson Park Inn, Justice Mill Lane
- Norwood Hall, Garthdee
- Jury’s Inn, Union Square
- Douglas Hotel, Market Street*
If staying in the city centre, information about transport to and from the Garthdee campus is also available.
* No corporate rates but the pricing is very competitive
The Disability & Dyslexia Centre advises and supports students who disclose a sensory or mobility impairment, chronic medical condition, mental health issue, dyslexia and other specific learning differences. Applicants are encouraged to arrange a pre-entry visit to discuss any concerns and to view the facilities.
Study Skills Support
The Study Support Team provides training and support to all students in:
- Academic writing
- Study skills (note taking, exam techniques, time management, presentation)
- Maths and statistics
- English language
- Information technology support
These courses are ideal for sport and exercise professionals, sport scientists, physiotherapists, nutritionists and dietitians who require accurate anthropometric assessment and profiling.
- Appropriate loose clothing that allows for measuring during practice (e.g. Running shorts, training top, vest etc) worn to enable easy access to shoulder, abdomen, arm and leg regions.
- A clipboard and ball point / felt tipped pens (at least 4) / dermographic pencil or eye-liner
- Cleansing wipes to remove penned marks
- Laptop / netbook / tablet / USB memory pen drive
- Your own anthropometry equipment if you prefer (clearly labelled if so)
- Business cards (many useful contacts are generated in ISAK courses)
- Reference texts:
- Stewart, A.D. & Sutton, L. (Editors). Body Composition in Sport Exercise and Health. Abingdon, UK: Routledge (220 pp).
- Anthropometrica, by Kevin Norton and Tim Olds, published in 1996, reprinted 2000, 2001 by University of New South Wales Press;
- Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics in Sport, Edited by Tim Ackland, Bruce Elliott and John Bloomfield; Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- External Candidate: £325
- External Candidate (student): £275
- RGU Staff: £220
- RGU Undergraduate Student (PALS/Health Sciences): £125
Please note that student status will be monitored.
- Re-accreditation for ISAK (L1 or L2): £100
Fees include all your instruction together with any printed materials that are required to complete the course.
The following course-related costs are not included in the course fees:
For new intakes course fees are reviewed and published annually for each mode of delivery. Tuition fees are fixed for the duration of a course at the rate confirmed in the offer letter. For further information see:
This course is accredited by ISAK
Taking this course, you will have access to some of the world's best facilities.
We've invested more than £100 million in the development of our campus, new facilities and new resources.University Wide Facilities
Have a question about the course or how to register? Get in touch with the Course Leader who will be delighted to help.
All applicants for the ISAK Level 1 can apply direct to the University with our online form.
Apply now for ISAK Re-accreditation direct to the University with our online form.