Robert Gordon University is committed to supporting new and expectant student parents at our university.

Working in partnership with RGU: Union, the Student Life Department at RGU provides advice, support and assistance to those who are managing the various responsibilities of academic life, pregnancy and parenthood.

RGU adopts a flexible approach and makes every effort to provide access to learning and enable student parents to achieve their full potential without comprising both academic standards and its responsibility to be fair to all students.

This information is intended to assist prospective students to the university and also visitors with children.

For a comprehensive guide for current students, visit RGyoU.

Where can you take your child on campus?

Open Spaces

You are welcome to take your child into the following open spaces on campus:

  • RGU: Union (including Kaim Cottage)
  • RGU Sport 
  • The following areas of the Sir Ian Wood Building: level 2 front atrium, bar and refectory areas and the back amphitheatre; level 3 reception and ‘main street’, also the library tower and associated stair and lift access between level 3 and level 5.
  • The main foyer and stairwell of the Health and Social Care Building incorporating the art exhibits and the cafeteria space (levels 1 – 4).
  • The main atrium space of the Aberdeen Business School Building incorporating the cafeteria spaces (level 3).
  • The Garthdee grounds. Intermittently - specified areas of the Gray's School of Art and Garthdee House when art and heritage collection exhibitions are held (this is subject to the conditions surrounding specific events).
  • Graduation activity areas on and off the campus (which may change from time to time) where special assessments and mitigation measures are adopted year by year taking account of the likely attendance of children/young persons

Breastfeeding Facilities

Under the Breastfeeding etc. (Scotland) Act 2005, RGU upholds the right of those in charge of children under 2 to breastfeed milk in the open spaces listed above. If student parents prefer private facilities for breastfeeding, the first aid rooms located around the University provide suitable facilities where expectant or breastfeeding mothers are able to lie down and rest, and feed or express milk, provided the rooms are not in use for first aid purposes. 

The following rooms have been designated as First Aid Rooms:

  • Aberdeen Business School - 306
  • Gray’s School of Art - GA21
  •  Health and Social Care - H418
  • Garthdee Annexe - SB10
  • Sir Ian Wood Building - N302

Baby Changing Facilities

Baby changing facilities are available at the following locations -

  • RGU Sport (male and female toilets) - Level 2
  • Faculty of Health and Social Care - 416
  • Sir Ian Wood Building - N316

Nursery facilities

Based at the Garthdee Campus, Treehouse Early Care Centre is a purpose built facility that provides high quality care and education for children aged 3 months to 5 years.

Treehouse front playgroundOpen Monday to Friday, 7.30am - 6pm, the centre is staffed by high quality professionals to support your child's learning, physical development and emotional wellbeing. Our day to day curriculum programme supports your child's skills and self esteem interests to encourage learning.

If you would like further information about the Treehouse nursery please phone 01224 861840 or email

RGU Union

There may be some students at our university that have extra care responsibilities at home. RGU: Union is here to help student parents, should the balance between work, caring and studying become difficult. RGU: Union offers a free Advice Service, supporting students to make the best of their university experience. The Advisor is independent from the university and can help with anything from filling out extension forms to discussing study options.

RGU: Union also has a President of Education and Welfare with responsibility for representing our diverse range of students. There is a Student Parents' Group that you can join once you are a student, where student parents can get together, chat and provide the Union and university with vital feedback on their experience of being a parent while studying at RGU.

   Financial Assistance for students who are parents

Childcare Fund

The Childcare Fund is available to help towards the cost of registered or formal childcare – formal childcare includes childminders, after school clubs, day care, sitter services and providers of pre-school and education.

Students must be full-time “home” UK students on an undergraduate course or postgraduate students on an eligible course who have been awarded the Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).  

Eligible postgraduate coursesBefore applying to the fund, students must first have taken out their full entitlement to a student loan.

Students who are not eligible for the payment of their tuition fees are not eligible. However consideration for assistance with childcare costs can be considered from the Discretionary Fund.

Please note, EU students, students studying Nursing and Midwifery courses and part-time students are not eligible for assistance from this fund.  

Awards are discretionary and are based on personal and financial circumstances. Not all students who are eligible to apply for support from this fund will be assisted. Students who are successful will have their award paid in monthly instalments by BACS directly to the Childcare Provider throughout the academic year. Payments made are additional to any loan entitlement and students must apply for their full loan entitlement before assistance is given from the fund.

Application forms can be downloaded and once completed returned to the Student Help Point alternatively a paper copy is available from the Student Help Point in the Health & Social Care building.

Guidance Notes for Discretionary Fund Application Form (PDF 94KB)

Discretionary Fund / Childcare Fund Application Form (PDF 196KB)

Referee's Report (PDF 74KB)

Students from England, Wales and N Ireland are eligible to apply for childcare grants. Details can be obtained from the appropriate student finance website.  Students who are eligible for this support are not eligible to apply for assistance from the Childcare Fund.

Students from England
Students from Wales 
Students from Northern Ireland

Tax credits

Students and their families could receive more money through the tax credits.   Students with children are entitled to claim Child Tax Credit which the Inland Revenue will pay to those who are responsible for at least one child, whether or not they are in paid work. Students who work more than 16 hours a week could also be eligible for Working Tax Credit. Extra help is also available to those who have a disability or who are caring for children with a disability.

Further information on tax credits:

HM Revenue & Customs website   Helpline: 0345 300 3900.

Discretionary Fund

The Discretionary Fund is available to assist students in financial difficulty to continue their studies.

Assistance cannot be given for the payment of tuition fees but other course related costs, accommodation, travel, living costs, etc can be considered. Before applying to the fund, students must have taken out their full student loan entitlement. All “home” UK students, undergraduate and postgraduate, full-time and part time, are eligible to apply.

Application Forms are available from the Student Help Point in the Health & Social Care building.

Completed Application forms should be returned to the Student Help Point. Please ensure you return all documentary evidence to support your application and a completed Referee's Report to prevent any delay in processing your application. 

Further information - Email Financial Assistance

Lone Parents’ Grant

Students who are widowed, divorced, separated or single with at least one dependant child may be eligible for the Lone Parents’ Grant of £1,305 from SAAS.

Further details can be obtained from the SAAS website 

SAAS - Living-Costs Grant

Short Term Emergency Loans

You can apply to the University for an Emergency Loan if you suddenly find yourself in financial difficulty.

As these funds are extremely limited, the maximum loan that can be made is capped at £600.

Short-term emergency loans are available on a discretionary basis to assist students with an immediate financial crisis.

Short-term emergency loans are not grants and must be repaid nor are they a solution to long term underfunding or cash-flow problems.

You should familiarise yourself with the following terms and conditions before applying for an emergency loan:

  • Emergency loans are only issued to students registered on a Full Time Course
  • Emergency loans are only issued for essential maintenance costs such as food; travel to and from University, essential medical costs and essential consumables/toiletries.
  • Emergency loans will not be issued to fund tuition fees, library fines or any other fines which could have been avoided.
  • If you are in the final year of your course you are not eligible to apply for an emergency loan after your course end date regardless of graduation date.
  • Additional information may be requested to support your application.

Application Process

You can apply for a short-term emergency loan by attending a drop in session at the Student HelpPoint in Garthdee on a Monday and Thursday from 9.30am – 2.00pm, or contacting Student Finance outwith these times.


Short-term emergency loans are interest free. A repayment date will be agreed during the meeting, taking into account when future income is expected. It may be possible to set up a repayment plan.

Students who fail to repay an emergency loan may:

  • experience registration delays
  • be refused future loans
  • be referred to the University's External Debt Collection Agency to recover the outstanding sum and this may adversely affect your credit rating. You will also be liable for any additional recovery costs.

Dependants' Grant

You can claim this income-assessed grant for your husband, wife, civil partner or partner.

You cannot claim this grant for another student. If your husband, wife, civil partner or partner has any income, this may affect your entitlement. SAAS will pay up to £2,640 to cover the full 52 weeks from the first day of the academic year of your course.

Further details can be obtained from the SAAS website:

SAAS - Living-Costs Grant