If university accommodation is not for you, or you want more information about short term accommodation, there are a number of options you can consider.
Purpose Built Student Accommodation
In addition to the accommodation available to book through RGU, there are several private companies who operate purpose built student accommodation throughout the city.
Depending on the provider and the site, you will usually have the option to rent a studio flat or individual bedrooms within a cluster flat. The weekly cost normally covers your rent, utilities and internet bills, and some have extras such as gyms, social areas and on-site staff to support you during your stay.
The advantage of staying in purpose built accommodation is that you will be living with other students studying at RGU, University of Aberdeen and North East Scotland College. Like RGU accommodation, your lease length is normally shorter than if you rent from a private landlord and will normally be fully inclusive of bills.
Things to consider:
- Total cost for the full lease period rather than just the weekly price.
- The length of lease you require.
- What is included in your rent.
- What represents best value for money.
- Your lease is binding for the full period and could result in you paying for accommodation when you don’t need it.
- If you withdraw from your course for any reason, you would normally still be liable to pay rent for the full duration of your lease.
Private rented sector
There is a large private rented sector in Aberdeen which has become more flexible and affordable in recent years.
Whilst the majority of landlords and agents operate in accordance with legislation and good practice, you should take extra care to ensure you aren’t affected by rogue landlords, scams or illegal practices. We would strongly recommend that you read the Advice for Private Renting in Scotland (PDF 381KB) before you sign any leases or hand over any money and if in doubt, contact the Reslife Advisor who is a trained lease advisor.
Within the private rented sector, you have options to look for a room in shared accommodation (sometimes with a resident landlord) or rent a whole flat either by yourself or with a group of friends. The links below can help you with your search for suitable accommodation. We do not endorse any specific websites or agencies. We strongly advise that you confirm all relevant details and follow the advice contained in the Advice for Private Renting in Scotland guide.
- RGU Studentpad is a website for landlords to advertise their property specifically to students. RGU ask the landlord to confirm they have a landlord registration number, energy performance certificate, tenancy deposit scheme, HMO licence (if applicable) and Gas Safe certificate (if applicable) before the property is advertised on the site. There is usually a mixture of single rooms and entire properties listed.
- RGU:Move is a Facebook group created and maintained by RGU students, for students across Aberdeen to search for and advertise properties to let, room vacancies within flats or for people looking for flatmates.
Shared Accommodation (where you just rent one room in a property):
- Accommodation for Students - mainly aimed at finding a room or flatmate for shared accommodation
- Easy Roommate - mainly aimed at finding a room or flatmate for shared accommodation
- Roombuddies –mainly aimed at finding a room or flatmate for shared accommodation
- Spareroom - mainly aimed at finding a room or flatmate for shared accommodation
Private Accommodation (where you rent an entire property either by yourself or with friends):
- Aberdeen Leasing Agents List (PDF 334KB) - A list of some but not all Leasing Agents in Aberdeen.
- ASPC – Listing of properties for rent rather than shared accommodation
- Citylets – Listing of properties for rent rather than shared accommodation
- Lettingweb – Listing of properties for rent rather than shared accommodation
- Rightmove – Listing of properties for rent rather than shared accommodation
- Zoopla – Listing of properties for rent rather than shared accommodation
Short Term and Visitor Accommodation
If you are looking for accommodation for visitors or somewhere to stay for a short while, there is a wide range of tourist and short term accommodation available in the City.
At peak times, this may get fully booked so we would advise that you try and plan ahead as much as possible. The following links are not endorsed by RGU and are provided for information only.
- Visitor Information Office (Visit Scotland) - email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1224 288828
- Bed and Breakfast List (PDF 118KB)
- Aberdeen Holiday Lettings
- Citybase Apartments
- FlipKey - Short term accommodation
- Parkhill Luxury Serviced Apartments
- Scottish Youth Hostel Association
Further advice on finding alternative accommodation:
- Reslife Adviser: T: 01224 262193 E: ResLife@rgu.ac.uk
- In person at the Student Help Point: 09:00 and 17:00, Monday – Friday, September to May.
- Moving On Booklet (PDF 770KB) - advice for students moving out of university accommodation
- Advice for Private Renting in Scotland (PDF 381KB).