Health & Safety Committee
Constitution, dates, agendas and the minutes of the meetings of this committee.
Health and Safety Committee Constitution
To contribute to the provision by the university of a safe and secure environment for work, study and visit both on- and off- campus to ensure that the university’s reputation is of the highest standing relative to its strategic intent.
The H&S Committee will consider and advise the university on the health, safety, welfare and wellbeing aspects of all RGU policy, procedure and practice relating to staff, students, visitors, contractors and others within RGU campuses and related off-site activities.
Remit/terms of reference
The role of the H&S Committee will be to:
- Ensure effective and representative two way communication and consultation between staff, students, trade unions, other stakeholders and the management of the university.
- Advise the university on emerging issues, significant changes, proposals and recommendations regarding the university’s policy, procedures and practices having properly assessed the issues and implications.
- Monitor the H&S performance of the university and review the completion of any actions arising from routine audits, incident investigations or external regulatory interventions.
- Recommend to both SPARG and SGC steps which can be taken to promote and sustain a positive H&S culture within the university having properly considered options and implications.
The number of management representatives on the H&S Committee must not exceed the number of employee representatives and vice-versa.
Permanent committee membership
David Briggs (Exec Dir HR)
Mary Haxton (PA to David Briggs)
- Dean of FD&T (or appointed nominee – Head of School)
- Dean of FHSC (or appointed nominee – Head of School)
- Dean of ABS (or appointed nominee – Associate Dean)
- Director of Estates (or Deputy Director) – representing all departments
- Dean of Students (or Student Services Manager)
- Director of RGU SPORT (or Sport facility Manager)
- EIS appointees (2)
- Unison appointees (2)
- UCU appointees (2)
- Unite appointees (2)
- Student Association President (or nominated executive member)
- Aramark (local manager)
- Graham FM (local manager)
- Grampian Health Board (partner/ manager from Garthdee Campus)
- Navitas (local manager)
- Treehouse Nursery (local manager)
- Head of Human Resources
- Head of Occupational Health & Environmental Safety
- Faculty H&S Coordinators FD&T, FHSC and ABS (supporting Deans)
Additional non-permanent members
In attendance by invitation – examples only
- Any RGU manager or employee for relevant agenda item
- Head of Library Services
- Accommodation Services Manager
- Insurance Officer
- Fire Safety Advisor
- Occupational Health Provider Representative
- Local H&S Coordinator (specific / outstanding issues)
- Other Competent Persons as and when required (RPS, LSO, etc)
Frequency of Meetings
The H&S Committee will meet at least 3 times a year and the meeting schedule will be published one year in advance. It is expected that meetings will not be cancelled or rearranged without good justification and the Convenor will have the deciding authority on this point.
The expectation is that all permanent members of the H&S Committee will attend each meeting. However if this is not possible then a nominated substitute can attend provided they have been:
- Nominated by the permanent member & approved by the H&S Committee (RGU staff).
- Nominated by the permanent member (non–RGU organisations).
In order to enable the efficient and accurate flow of information the nominated substitute should be identified to the H&S Committee and their attendance notified within 2 weeks of the draft agenda being issued.
Where a substitute has been agreed it will be the responsibility of the Committee member being substituted to ensure the substitute is fully briefed and able to fully contribute to the meeting.
As a minimum expectation any meeting of the committee will require a quorum of at least 4 management and 4 employee representatives in attendance.
Publication & Communication of Agenda and Minutes of Meetings
The draft agenda will be circulated by the secretariat 4 weeks before the planned meeting date. Any items members wish to add to the agenda should be submitted to the Convenor via the secretariat not less than 2 weeks before the meeting date.
The draft minutes of the meeting will be produced by the secretariat within 2 weeks following the meeting date and circulated to all members for comment.
Comments on the draft minutes must be submitted to the Convenor via the secretariat within 2 weeks following the draft circulation. The finally approved minutes will then be published once the Convenor has considered any comments or queries raised by members.
The minutes of the meetings will be reported formally to SPARG within the Quarterly H&S Report by attaching as an appendix and by further update in the body of the report. This report is also subsequently considered by the Staff Governance Committee.
The agenda and minutes will be made available to staff and students on the university website. Additional paper copies will be supplied to the managers of staff groups who do not have computer access; these will be displayed in an appropriate manner on the H&S information boards. Contractors will be supplied with electronic copies through their nominated contacts.
Standing Agenda Items
The committee has agreed that the standing agenda will be divided into 2 parts: agenda A – items for consideration and agenda B – items for noting.
Apologies for absence
Minute of previous meeting
Report from Head of OH&ES – progress against annual H&S plan
Consideration of audit reports and actions
Consideration of incident investigations and actions
Consideration of reports from enforcing authorities and actions
Consideration of strategic H&S issues arising at local membership level
Consideration of current policy developments
Current statutory developments
Minutes of Estates and Faculty H&S Committees
Minutes of local H&S Committees (groups)
Reports from embedded contractors (if appropriate)
Date of next meeting - reminder only as pre-set