The oil and gas industry is currently extending the frontiers of current technologies as well as adopting a vast array of new innovative technologies.
Meeting these objectives demands a quantum leap in integrated technical know-how in terms of fundamental principles and development of new technologies.This is the key driver for the integrated research and development programmes in oil and gas reservoir and well technology being carried out by the Petroleum Engineering Research Group at IDEAS Institute (RGU).
The Petroleum Engineering Research Group is made up of a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists with expertise in oil and gas engineering, well engineering, geomechanics, material engineering, CFD modelling, Acoustics/NDT, instrumentation and control and fluids engineering.
Integrated Petroleum Engineering and Real-Time Solutions
- Well Engineering[Drilling, Completions and Drilling Fluid Technologies]
- Multiphase Flow Assurance
- Integrated Sand Management
- Unconventional Reservoir Management[Heavy Oil, Shale Systems]
- Well Integrity/Decommissioning/Abandonment Solutions
- Horizontal Well Production Optimisation and Application to Improved Oil Recovery in Shale Oil and Highly Permeability Reservoirs
- Optimising Heavy Oil Production from tight sands through Underbalanced Horizontal Well drilling with CO2 Injection
- Seismic Modelling of Hydrocarbon Reservoir Properties
- Reservoir Characterization Using Integrated Sequence Stratigraphic, Dynamic Modelling, Neural Networks Approach in the Interpretation of Well Tests on Deep Offshore reservoirs
- Real-Time Stuckpipe Prediction and application to drilling mechanics optimisation
- High-angle HP-HT well integrity and cement failure
- Multiphase Solids Transport in HP-HT Deepwater Wells
- Realtime virtual sensing for gas production optimization in HP-HT Production System
- Optimum discretization for a VoI assessment in an E&P project considering the risk of version attitude of the decision maker
- Numerical and Experimental study of Interaction between Oilfield Chemicals and Formation Rocks and Integration with Sand Failure Prediction
- Petrophysical and Geomechanical Characterisation of a Marginal Field
- Performance of Scale Inhibitors in Sand Producing Reservoir
- Improving Reservoir Uncertainty analysis using an integrated phased modelling approach
- Numerical Modelling of Oil-Water Immiscible Flow and Heat Transfer in a Porous Media
- Sand Management Network – Phase 8[JIP]
- Granular Subsurface Seal – [OGIC/Resolute Energy]
New Projects Proposals
- The Development of an Integrated Real-Time Solids Monitoring System [Value: £580K over 3 years]
- Decommissioning Options Optimisation Model for Offshore Structures; [Value: £89040 over 3years]
Petroleum Engineering Research StaffPetroleum Engineering Research Staff
Petroleum Engineering Publications
OYENEYIN, M.B : Improved Heavy Oil Recovery Techniques: Fundamentals and Field Application , Springer Publications, (In Progress)
OYENEYIN, BABS. (2015). Developments in Petroleum Science, Volume 63 - Integrated Sand Management for Effective Hydrocarbon Flow Assurance. Elsevier Publishers. Online version available at: http://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpDPSVISM1/developments-in-petroleum/developments-in-petroleum
Oluyemi G., Ola, O. and Paswan, R, “Fluid Flow Partitioning in Fractured Porous Media: Experimental, Mathematical and Numerical Modelling” In: Advances in Petroleum Engineering, Vol 1: Refining (Ed. Pant, K. K., Sinha, S. and Bajpai, S); USA; Stadium Press; 2015.
Oluyemi G., “Polymer in Petroleum Production” In: Encyclopedia of Polymeric Applications (Ed. Munmaya Mishra); Taylors and Francis; (under review)
IBIYE IYALLA, ELANKUMARAN ARULLIAH and DAVID INNES. :’’A Critical Analysis of Open Protocol for Subsea Production Controls System Communication’’. Oceans’17 MTS/IEEE Conference, 19-22 June 2017. Aberdeen..
ADAMSON, M., MUHAMMAD-SUKKI, F., AB AZIZ, N. F., IYI, D., Ramirez-Iniguez, R., Bani, N. A., Abubakar Mas’ud, A., Munir, A. B. & Mohd Yasin, S. H., 2017. “Development of a Control System for a Domestic Grid-Connected Wind Turbine”, in PACE International Conference on Science and Technology, 25-27 July 2017, Four Points by Sheraton, Penang, Malaysia.
DRACO IYI, REAZ HASAN AND ROGER PENLINGTON (2013), Effect of Emissivity on Heat and Mass Transfer of Humid Air in a Cavity Filled with Solid Obstacles. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications: An International Journal of Computation and Methodology. Volume 67, Issue 5, 2015. Publisher: Taylor and Francis Inc.(http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10407782.2014.937261)
ELIZABETH W., OLUYEMI G., YATES, K. AND AKINSANYA, A. R. “Geomechanical effects of Oilfield Chemicals on Sand Failure in Reservoir Rocks,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2017 (submitted)
TEBOWEI R., HUSSAIN M., OLUYEMI G., ISLAM,S. AND DROUBI, G. “CFD Modelling of Transition of Solid Transport Regimes in Horizontal Pipelines,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2017 (accepted May 2017)
WILCOX, BOMA , BABS OYENEYIN & SHEIK ISLAM: ‘’HP-HT Well Integrity & Cement Failure’’ SPE Paper No 184254, August 2016 P.E.G.
IDAHOSA, G.F. OLUYEMI, M.B. OYENEYIN, R. PRABHU : ‘’Rate-dependent polymer adsorption in porous media’’, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 143, July 2016, Pages 65–71 , doi:10.1016/j.petrol.2016.02.020
TCHAMBAK E., OYENEYIN, B AND OLUYEMI G. “The Prospect of Deepwater Heavy Oil Production Using CO2-EOR,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Jan 2015; 37:3; pp 318-325; DOI: 10.1080/15567036.2011.585373 etc.
Vilela M., Oluyemi, G. and Petrovski, A. “Value of Information and Risk Preference in Exploration and Production Oil and Gas Projects,” SPE Annual Caspian Conference and Exhibition; Baku, Azerbaijan; November 2017
Ani, Maureen, Oluyemi, G, Petrovski A. and Gomari R S. “Reservoir Uncertainty Analysis: The Trends from Probability to Algorithms and Machine Learning,” SPE Intelligent Energy
Past Members and Collaborators
- Dr Amol Bali (BP Aberdeen)
- Dr Kelani Bello (University of Benin, Nigeria)
- Dr Eben Adom (DNV Aberdeen)
- Dr Ibrahim Younes (Baker Hughes)
- Dr Eric Tchambak