AwardMRes | MPhil | PhD | EngD
Start DateFebruary and October
We develop original ideas through to applications, with particular emphasis on implementation for wealth creation and life-quality improvement.
We have several laboratory suites specifically designed for research and promote a dynamic environment without traditional discipline-related barriers; which has benefited the development of multi-disciplinary Research Groups which are Well Engineering, Multiphase Flow Modelling, Condition Monitoring, and Advanced Materials. The related subjects of Energy, Environment and Sustainability (EES) extend across a range of significant research activities within our Design & Technology Research subjects.
We welcome proposal submissions from students to undertake research in the following indicative areas, although other areas will be considered:
- Advanced Material Engineering - Dr James Njuguna & Kristof Starost
- Asset Integrity - Dr Ghazi Droubi
- Cfd Modelling - Dr Draco Iyi
- Chemical Engineering - Dr Morgan Adams & Professor Edward Gobina
- Clean Technology - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Coatings - Dr Nadimal Faisal
- Communications Theory - Dr Sam Burgess
- Condition Monitoring - Dr Nadimal Faisal & Dr Sha Jihan
- Corrosion - Dr Nadimal Faisal & Dr Ghazi Droubi
- Electrical Engineering - Dr Yashwant Sinha
- Electronic Systems - Dr Sam Burgess
- Electronics And Communications - Dr Sam Burgess
- Environmental Engineering - Dr Cathy McCullagh & Dr Morgan Adams
- Failure Prediction And Damage Assessment Using Ansys Software - Dr Ghazi Droubi
- Flow Assurance - Dr Ghazi Droubi
- Heat Transfer - Dr Draco Iyi
- Lasers & Applications - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Material Engineering - Dr Sha Jihan
- Mathematical And Numerical Model Development - Dr Sheikh Islam
- Mechanical Engineering - Professor J.A. Steel & Dr Jennifer McConnachie
- Micromechanics - Dr Nadimal Faisal
- Mutiphase Flow - Dr Mamdud Hossain
- Oil And Gas Engineering - Dr Ibiye Iyalla
- Oilfield Chemistry - Dr Gbenga Oluyemi
- Optical Fibres - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Optical Security - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Petroleum Engineering - Prof Babs Oyeneyin, Dr Mohamed Amish, Dr Gbenga Oluyemi & Dr Sheikh Islam
- Petroleum Geomechanics - Dr Reza Sanaee & Dr Gbenga Oluyemi
- Photocatalysis - Dr Cathy McCullagh & Dr Morgan Adams
- Power Electronics - Dr Philip Churn
- Renewable Energy - Dr Ghazi Droubi, Dr Yashwant Sinha, Dr Mamdud Hossain, Dr Nazmi Sellami, Dr Draco Iyi, Dr Firdaus Muhammad-Sukki & Dr Sheikh Islam
- Robotics - Dr Wai Keung Fung
- Sensors & Instrumentation - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Soft Matter - Dr Ketan Pancholi
- Structural Integrity - Dr Nadimal Faisal
- Subsea Engineering - Dr Radhakrishna Prabhu
- Telecommunication And Internet Network - Dr Nazila Fough
- Thermal Engineering - Dr Draco Iyi
- Video And Imaging Processing - Dr Yafan Zhao
- Video Communication - Dr Nazila Fough
- Wellbore Stimulation - Dr Reza Sanaee
Normal entry requirements are a first or upper second class honours degree from a University of the United Kingdom, or from an overseas University, or degree equivalent qualification, subject to the approval of Robert Gordon University. Applicants holding qualifications other than those above shall be considered on their merits and in relation to the nature and scope of the proposed research programme.
Applicants holding qualifications other than those above shall be considered on their merits and in relation to the nature and scope of the proposed research programme. Applicants will normally register for an MSc/PhD or MRes/PhD with transfer to PhD dependent on satisfactory progress. However, applicants who already possess a Master’s degree which includes a significant research component could be registered directly for a PhD, subject to a satisfactory research proposal, and clear evidence of research expertise.
Any applicant whose first language or language of previous University-level instruction is not English must normally demonstrate competence in English. This should be a score of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
We accept a variety of in-country and secure English language tests, find out more:
Our Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSP) is available for students who have not yet reached the required English level and those who would like to improve their language competency.
Please note, some courses may require a higher standard of English than stated in this page. Contact email@example.com for further information.
FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2020/2021
- £4,407 per academic year
- £2,645 per academic year
Part-time MRes/MSc by research
- £2,205 per academic year
- £16,510 per academic year
- £9,906 per academic year
Part-time MRes/MSc by research
- £8,255 per academic year
FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2019/2020
- £4,327 per academic year
- £2,600 per academic year
- £16,110 per academic year
- £9,666 per academic year
The following course-related costs are not included in the course fees:
- The cost of books that you may wish to purchase
- Costs associated with your placement / study abroad
- Accommodation and Living costs
Robert Gordon University is delighted to offer a 20% loyalty discount on course fees for all alumni who have graduated from RGU.
Postgraduate students will normally make their own arrangements for payment of fees. However, there are a limited number of SAAS funded places on certain postgraduate courses.
There are also sources of funding that are applicable to categories of student.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AWARDS
You may also qualify for a scholarship or financial award:
For new intakes course fees are reviewed and published annually for each mode of delivery. Tuition fees are fixed for the duration of a course at the rate confirmed in the offer letter. For further information see:
All applications should be made via the University's online application for research students.
Our Research degrees usually start in February and October each year. There is no official deadline for you to submit your application, though we recommend you submit it as early as possible in order to ensure we can help you join us at your preferred time.
- Two academic references
- A transcript or mark sheet for all graduate qualifications
- A draft research proposal, or at least a short summary to indicate the potential area of research (Refer to Section 8 of the Application Form)
For applicants whose first language or language of university education is not English, applications must include:
- Certificate of English language competency score of IELTS 6.5 in each of the four test components (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking).
- Students who can demonstrate successful completion of tertiary (university or college) studies in a country whose national language is English, may be exempted from this requirement.