Databases Construction & Use 15 credits at SCQF 11
Databases Construction & Use [BSM053]
This module will give you the ability to explain the key concepts of database design and manipulation, using the relational model.
It will develop your skill in the practical implementation of database applications in a relational database management system (RDBMS). It will enable you to explore the main features of a DBMS and different models of database architecture (hierarchical, network, relational, object−oriented).
On completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Design a normalised database in relational form.
- Demonstrate database table creation and analyse effective database querying in SQL.
- Implement, test and evaluate a relational database application using a DBMS.
- Explain the main features of a DBMS and analyse the principles used in DBMS design.
- Evaluate critically the different forms of DBMS architecture.
2. What you will study
- Creating and Linking database tables
- Network and hierarchical data models
- The object-oriented data model
- RDBMS and conceptual modelling
- Retrieving data using queries
- Conceptual Modelling
- Changing data using queries
- E-R model to relational model
- Form Creation
- Normal forms
- Access Basic
- Database Administration
3. How you will learn
You will learn through a mix of online lectures, interactive work and self-guided study. Attendance at the University is therefore not required.
4. Entry Requirements
The course is ideal for students who possess an undergraduate honours degree in any discipline or who have relevant work experience.
All international students, for whom English is not their first language, will need either IELTS 6.5 or its equivalent in TOEFL.
5. Placements and Accreditations
This module is part of the MSc Information Management course, which is accredited by CILIP.
6. How to apply
For general enquiries please call 01224 262209 or email email@example.com
All learning outcomes will be assessed by an exercise requiring the design and creation of a database.
8. Fees and payment options
The fee for this course is £950.
Find out more about how to pay for your course.
Back to professional development