|Position:||IHWR Principal Member; Reader|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262885|
Roles and responsibilities
- Reader at the Institute for Health and Wellbeing Research (IHWR).
- Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Theme Leader at Institute for Health and Wellbeing Research
Key research interests
Dr Bermano's research interests lie in the understanding of the relationship between diet and human health. Her research interests include:
- Identification of the mechanisms involved in nutrient-gene interactions at molecular, cellular, tissue levels.
- The nutritional link between disease and development in an animal or human studies
- Rational approaches for the design of corrective dietary regimes
Dr Bermano's current work focuses on
- The understanding of the relationship between dietary intake of the essential micronutrient selenium; and
- Development of cancer in the gastro-intestinal tract.
Dr Bermano's qualifications include a degree in Food Science and Nutrition from the University of Milan, Italy (1991) and PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Aberdeen in 1997.
- Barron,G. A.;Bermano,G.;Gordon,A.;Kong Thoo Lin,P. Synthesis, cytotoxicity and DNA-binding of novel bisnaphthalimidopropyl derivatives in breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells (2010). European journal of medicinal chemistry. 45, 4, 1430. doi:10.1016/j.ejmech.2009.12.047.
- Bermano,G.;Smyth,E.;Goua,M.;Heys,S. D.;Wahle,K. W. Impaired expression of glutathione peroxidase-4 gene in peripheral blood mononuclear cells: a biomarker of increased breast cancer risk (2010). Cancer biomarkers : section A of Disease markers. 7, 1, 39. doi:10.3233/cbm-2010-0146.
- Raquel T. Lima, Gemma A. Barron, Joanna A. Grabowska, Giovanna Bermano, Simranjeet Kaur, Nilanjan Roy, M. Helena Vasconcelos and Paul Kong Thoo Lin Cytotoxicity and cell death mechanisms induced by a Novel Bisnaphthalimidopropyl Derivative against the NCI-H460 non-small lung Cancer Cell line. (2012). Anticancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry. In press,
- Weichhaus,M.;Broom,I.;Bermano,G. The molecular contribution of TNF-alpha in the link between obesity and breast cancer (2011). Oncology reports. 25, 2, 477. doi:10.3892/or.2010.1099.
- Weichhaus,M.;Broom,J.;Wahle,K.;Bermano,G. A novel role for insulin resistance in the connection between obesity and postmenopausal breast cancer (2012). International journal of oncology. , , . doi:10.3892/ijo.2012.1480.
- Weidmann,A. E.;Cunningham,S.;Gray,G.;Hansford,D.;Bermano,G.;Stewart,D. Views of the Scottish general public on community pharmacy weight management services: international implications (2012). International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. doi:10.1007/s11096-012-9624-4