The European Commission provides funding through the Erasmus+ Programme which is designed to aid students who wish to study or work in another Erasmus participating country as part of their degree.

Under the Erasmus+ Programme, tuition fees will be waived by the host university.  Grants are awarded to students in order to aid them with the following costs of their exchange:

  • Travel
  • Language Tuition
  • Living
  • Accommodation

You may be entitled to an Erasmus grant, which you would receive from your home university, if eligible.

Students who are not on the Erasmus scheme may have to pay tuition fees.  Please contact the Erasmus Institutional Co-ordinator ( for further details.

Entering the Country

Students from EU Member States can enter the UK with either a 10 year passport or a National ID card.  However, if carrying a National ID card only, it is advisable that students also carry a letter of invitation from the host university so that, in the unlikely event that they do get stopped on entering the country, they can produce this as proof that they intend to undertake a period of study in the UK.

Students from other countries, such as Turkey, may require a visa to enter the UK.  Information on visas and how to apply for them are available online from the UK Visas and Immigration website

If you are coming to RGU to undertake an exchange period, and have non-EU nationality , you will need a visa to enter the country.

If you will be attending RGU for one semester only (i.e. a period of less than 4 months), you should apply for a short term study visa 

Further information on the Short Term Study Visa, including how to apply

If you will be attending RGU for a whole Academic Session, you should apply for an Tier 4 (General) student visa

Further information about the Tier 4 visa, including how to apply


RGU: Accommodation endeavours to provide accommodation for all European exchange students who book in advance as long as they have submitted a fully completed application form and Learning Agreement by 01 June for Semester 1 and 01 November for Semester 2. Please note that University accommodation is very popular, so you are strongly advised to book your accommodation as early as possible. If accommodation is requested at short notice, the University cannot guarantee to offer campus accommodation but it will help students to obtain private accommodation.

N.B. Any University accommodation rented out to European students can only be rented for a minimum of one whole semester, i.e mid-September to December and January to May.

If you wish to stay in University accommodation, you must do so by applying online at Roomonline
Please note that you will not be able to apply for accommodation online until such time as you have received a letter of acceptance from the University.

It is a requirement that all students staying in University accommodation pay a non-refundable rental advance of £250, this advance counts toward the total amount of accommodation fee's due for the period of lease. The easiest way to pay this is through Roomonline

Information on the various different types of accommodation that are available

The University flats are fully furnished, heated and are self catering. This means that 3 - 8 students each have their own bedroom but share cooking facilities and in some cases they share shower and bathroom facilities. Student Accommodation also provides a coin operated washing machine and dryers. Students have to provide their own bedding, cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils.

The Student Accommodation Service is also able to assist you with other arrangements such as bed and breakfast, private flats etc., if you prefer not to stay in University accommodation or arrive before the semester starts.

If you have any enquiries about accommodation then do not hesitate to email RGU: Accommodation or telephone on +(44)(0)1224 262129 or +(44)(0)1224 262130.

Living Costs

It is estimated that for stay in Aberdeen of 4 months, you may need approximately £3,000 and £3,500 to cover living costs depending on your individual lifestyle and the duration of your stay. These costs would include accommodation, food, books and travel expenses.

Disability and Dyslexia Service

It is important for disabled students to know that adjustments an be made to facilitate your studies.  The Disability and Dyslexia Service offers confidential advice and support to disabled students and prospective students.

The Disability and Dyslexia Centre, part of the Student Services' Department, is validated by the Scottish Government to undertake assessment of needs and has many years' of experience of supporting students.  Further information can be found on the Disability and Dyslexia Service webpages.