Nursing and Midwifery Students
Assistance available to students undertaking the Bachelor of Nursing or Midwifery course is a non income-assessed bursary only.
The rates for 2015-16 are:
Year of study
Students on these courses are not eligible for student loans, a Young Students’ Bursary or an Independent Students’ Bursary.
Further details on all support available:
You can apply for an allowance for your husband, wife, civil partner or partner and for any child you are legally responsible for.
Single Parents' Allowance
You may be entitled to an extra allowance of £1,305 if you are single, widowed, divorced, separated or no longer live with a partner and bringing up children on your own.
Childcare Allowance for Parents
The childcare allowance is payable to any student who is a parent and wants to claim formal childcare costs.
If you have to pay all or part of the cost for registered or formal childcare, you can receive up to £1,216 a year, depending on the cost of childcare. 'Formal' childcare includes childminders, after-school clubs and providers of day-care and education.
Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)
If you have a disability you may be eligible to claim for certain extra expenses you have to pay because you are on the course.
Further details can be obtained from our Disability and Dyslexia Service.
Expenses for clinical placement
Clinical placement is the part of the course that consists of supervised practice in clinical areas.
You can claim expenses for some extra travel and reasonable accommodation costs.
Short Term Emergency Loans
You can apply to the University for an Emergency Loan if you suddenly find yourself in financial difficulty.
As these funds are extremely limited, the maximum loan that can be made is capped at £600.
Short-term emergency loans are available on a discretionary basis to assist students with an immediate financial crisis.
Short-term emergency loans are not grants and must be repaid nor are they a solution to long term underfunding or cash-flow problems.
You should familiarise yourself with the following terms and conditions before applying for an emergency loan:
- Emergency loans are only issued to students registered on a Full Time Course
- Emergency loans are only issued for essential maintenance costs such as food; travel to and from University, essential medical costs and essential consumables/toiletries.
- Emergency loans are small and cannot assist with rent payments.
- Emergency loans will not be issued to fund tuition fees, library fines or any other fines which could have been avoided.
- Emergency loans will not provide financial support for laptop purchases, gym memberships and course costs (field trips, books, materials).
- Emergency loans are not normally issued during the summer vacation.
- If you are in the final year of your course you are not eligible to apply for an emergency loan after your course end date regardless of graduation date.
- Additional information may be requested to support your application. It will not be possible to proceed with an emergency loan if you do not provide the required evidence (e.g. continuous bank statements for the four week period preceding your application)
You can apply for a short-term emergency loan by attending a drop in session at the Student HelpPoint in Garthdee on a Monday and Thursday from 9.30am – 2.00pm.
Short-term emergency loans are interest free. A repayment date will be agreed during the meeting, taking into account when future income is expected.
Students who fail to repay an emergency loan may:
- experience registration delays
- be refused future hardship funding
- be referred to the University's External Debt Collection Agency to recover the outstanding sum and this may adversely affect your credit rating. You will also be liable for any additional recovery costs.
At RGU we recognise that being a student can be expensive.
That's why we offer a range of scholarships. Winning a scholarship can be an easy way of boosting your income, leaving you free to concentrate on your studies. It’s also an excellent way to gain practical experience through the industry mentoring and placement opportunities which many of our corporate scholarships offer.