|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262384|
- BSc Geology and Petroleum Geology
- MA Higher Education Learning and Teaching
- PhD – Beginning February 2017
I've been a part of the School of Engineering team since 2003 when the School began delivering distance learning MSc courses in Energy related subjects. I began as an external distance learning lecturer for modules in Reservoir Geology, Petroleum Geology and Fluids and Formation Evaluation. Prior to this I was a geologist in Innovative Engineering Systems Ltd and Core-Laboratories. After working at University of Portsmouth, I joined RGU as a full time member of staff taking the lead in distance learning and pastoral care of distance learning students in 2009. I completed my MA in Higher Education Learning and Teaching, with my thesis entitled "Retention of Postgraduate Distance Learning Students". I became the Learning Enhancement Coordinator for the postgraduate programme in 2011 and in 2013, I took on the role of Learning Enhancement Coordinator for both undergraduate and postgraduate study. I developed the Engineering Continuing Professional Development Framework (MSc Engineering) which became available in January 2015. I am the course leader for the MSc Energy and Sustainability and collaborate with colleagues in developing new courses. In 2016 I became a Senior Lecturer and Head of Teaching and Learning in the School. I am the School contact for National Student Survey.
- Geologist with Core-Laboratories
- Geologist with Innovative Engineering Systems Ltd
- North Africa Consultancy Group Coordinator with Corex UK Ltd
- Research Assistant Aberdeen University
- Research Assistant University of Portsmouth
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- MSc Energy and Sustainability Course Leader
- Learning Enhancement Coordinator
- School Appraisal
- Course Validations
- Teaching geology, geoscience, petroleum geology
- Engineering Education Research
- Graduate Level Apprenticeship Development
- Convener of the School's Teaching and Learning Group
- Vice Convener of the University's Teaching and Learning Sub Committee
Research and Consultancy Interests
- Mental Health in Engineering
- Engineering pedagogy
- Criteria-based assessment
- Virtual worlds for learning
- Enhancement of teaching and learning
- Geology, Geoscience and Petroleum Geology
- Engineering Education
Professional Body Membership
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Contributes to QAA Enhancement Themes as part of University projects
- Contributes to SPARQS project “Engaging Online and Distance Learning Students in Quality”
- Reviewer for the Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice
- Tait, J & Sun, Y. 2014. "Providing Online ‘Live’ Support for Distance Learning Students: A Case Study in School of Engineering, RGU” RGU 1st Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Tait, J & Sun, Y. 2014 “Would Online Live Induction be Helpful for Distance Learning Programmes in the School of Engineering, RGU?” RGU Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Sun, Y. Tait, J. 2014 Poster Presentation: Providing Scaffolding for Online Forum Assessment: Overcoming None or Overwhelming Criteria. RGU Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Hausler, T. Tait, J. Wyatt, A. 2015 Poster presentation: Posters vs Reports – Trialling a New Assessment Format RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Faisal, N. Kidd, G. McConnachie, J. Maxwell, G, Steel, JA. Tait, J. 2015 Poster presentation: RGU’s Engineering Fast-Track Meng Summer Placements RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Hetherington, C. Tait, J. 2015 Poster presentation: The RGU Virtual Rig. RGU’s Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Murison, G. Tait, J. 2016 Poster Presentation: Engineering Snapshot: EN1600 Professional Skills RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2016 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Tait, J., Hetherington, C. and Tate, A. (2017) Enhancing Student Employability with Simulation: The Virtual Oil Rig and DART, Poster Presentation, 3rd International Enhancement in Higher Education Conference: Inspiring Excellence - Transforming the Student Experience, 6th-8th June 2017, Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, UK. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, UK.
- Tait, J. (2017) Developing the Professional Engineering Framework for Postgraduate Engineers, Poster Presentation, 3rd International Enhancement in Higher Education Conference: Inspiring Excellence - Transforming the Student Experience, 6th-8th June 2017, Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, UK. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, UK.
McCafferty, J. "Retention of Postgraduate Distance Learning Students", Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland, August 2010.