|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 26 3800/3853|
Laura Muir on Linkedin
Role and Responsibilities
Dr Laura Muir is a Senior lecturer in the department of Information Management with departmental responsibility for knowledge exchange activity. She is also Course Leader for the MBA Information Management course and the Document Control Foundation short course which are available for study online by distance Learning.
Key External/Professional Roles
Secondment to industry (2013-2014)
Member of Ofcom (Office of Communications) Advisory Committee on Older and Disabled People (ACOD) and Convenor of ACOD Research Sub-group, 1 April 2007 – 31 March 2011
Member of Scottish Parliament Cross-Party Working Group on Digital Participation, December 2009 - date
Key Internal Roles
Laura is a member of the research team at the Centre for Video Communications (School of Engineering) and contributed to the Computer Science and Informatics Unit of Assessment in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. She is also a member of the following university boards:
RGU Environmental Sustainability Working Group and Convenor of the Waste Management Sub-group, October 2007 – date.
RGU Research and Knowledge Transfer Committee, April 2008 - date.
RGU Disability Steering Group, September 2002-date.
RGU Disability Contact's Networking Group, September 2002 - date.
Dr Muir's research is included in the ‘Information and Communication’ theme of the Institute of Management, Governance and Society (IMaGeS) and in the 'Digital Technologies' theme of the Institute for Innovation, Design and Sustainability (IDEAS) . She is a member of the research team at the Centre for Video Communications (School of Engineering) and contributed to the Computer Science and Informatics Unit of Assessment in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. Her research interests include:
- Information systems design and usability
- Information accessibility
- Perceptually optimised video communication
- Usability and Accessibility of academic e-book content
- Information Management Benchmarking
- Design and development of e-books for scholars
Laura also supervises doctoral research students and is currently supervisor for Gratiela Lobo.
Recently Funded Projects
- Lead Academic, Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP): OPITO Ltd and Robert Gordon University (Department of Information Management Aberdeen Business School), Workforce Planning Decision Support System (2011-2013).
- Lead Academic, Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP): Amor Group and Robert Gordon University. Information Management Energy Forum (2010-2012).
- Co-Investigator, Scottish Enterprise Funded Proof of Concept project, Perceptually Optimised Video Compression (November 2005 – March 2008).
- Principal Investigator, Aberdeen City Council funded British Sign Language DVD project (August – December 2007).
- Thales Scottish Technology Prize 2009 (2nd Place): MUIR, L.J., RICHARDSON, I.E.G. and BHAT, A. VClear: Perceptually Optimised Video Compression.
- CILIP/LIRG Research Award 2008: MUIR, L.J., VEALE, T. and NICHOL, A. An Evaluation of Academic E-Book Accessibility in a Diverse Student Population.
- MUIR, L.J., COUSINS, F., and LAING, A., 2013. The case for a risk-assessed approach to organisational records management in the Oil and Gas sector. Information Research (under review).
- MUIR, L.J., COUSINS, F., and LAING, A., 2013. Benchmarking information management services in the oil and gas sector. Aberdeen Business School Working Paper Series, WP/1/13. Aberdeen: RGU. ISSN:1753-6766 (print), ISSN: 1753-6774 (online)
- MUIR, L.J. and HAWES, G., 2013. The Case for E-book Literacy: Undergraduate Students' Experience with E-Books for Course Work. The Journal of Academic Librarianship 39 (3), 260–274.
- MUIR, L.J., VEALE, T. and NICHOL, A., 2010. Like an open book? Accessibility of e-book content for academic study in a diverse student population. Library and Information Research, 33(105), pp. 90-109
- MUIR, L.J., VEALE, T. and NICHOL, A., 2009. An Evaluation of Academic E-Book Accessibility in a Diverse Student Population. CILIP Umbrella conference, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, 14-15 July 2009.
- MUIR, L.J., VEALE, T. and NICHOL, A., 2009. Like an open book? A student-centred view of e-books and a new model for delivery. Information: Interactions and Impact (i3) conference, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, 22-25 June 2009.
- [RICHARDSON, I.E.G., BHAT, A., MUIR, L.J., ZHONG, Y. and SHAN, K.] ROBERT GORDON UNIVERSITY, 2007. Method and apparatus for processing image data. International Publication No: WO/2007/144640, December 2007. [Patent]
- MUIR, L.J, 2007. Content-Prioritised Video Coding for British Sign Language Communication. PhD Thesis, Robert Gordon University.
- BHAT, A., RICHARDSON, I.E.G. and MUIR, L.J., 2007. Perceptually Optimised Variable Bilateral Filter for Low Bit-rate Video Coding, PGNet Conference, Liverpool, 27 - 28 June 2007.
- MUIR, L.J. and RICHARDSON, I. E. G., 2005. Perceptions of sign language and its application to visual communications for deaf people. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 10 (4), pp. 390-401
- MUIR, L.J., RICHARDSON, I.E.G. and HAMILTON, K., 2005. Visual perception of content-prioritised sign language video quality. Proceedings of the IEE International Conference on Visual Information Engineering, 4-6 April 2005, University of Glasgow, Glasgow. pp.17-22
- MUIR, L.J., RICHARDSON, I.E.G. and LEAPER, S., 2003. Gaze tracking and its application to video coding for sign language. Proceedings of the Twenty-third International Picture Coding Symposium, 22-26 April 2003, St. Malo, France. pp. 321-325
- MUIR, L.J. and RICHARDSON, I.E.G., 2002. Video telephony for the deaf: Analysis and development of an optimised video compression product. Proceedings of the Tenth ACM International Multimedia Conference, 1-6 December 2002, Juan-Les-Pins, France. pp. 650-652
- RILEY, M.J., RICHARDSON, I.E.G., KIPPERMAN, K., MUIR, L. J. and SMITH, G. (1999). High speed bit accurate communication system modelling in C. Proc. DSP World Spring Design Conference, April, Santa Clara, USA
- MUIR, L.J. and RICHARDSON, I.E.G., 2003. Video coding for sign language communication. [presentation] 'Silent Progress' ESRC Seminar, 28 February -1 March 2003, University of Bristol.
- RICHARDSON, I.E.G., ZHAO, Y and MUIR, L.J., 2002. Implementing MPEG-4 Visual in software. IEE Seminar on Visual Media Standards, 25 April 2002, London, UK.