|Position:||Academic Lead for Internationalisation (Senior Lecturer)|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263276|
Pamela began her career in education in 2002 at RGU as a lecturer in nursing and then course leader in the School of Nursing & Midwifery. Her teaching spanned across undergraduate and post graduate courses and a CPD remit that was focussed on developing education for CPD, remote healthcare education as well as leadership and quality improvement. Between 2013 and 2017 she worked in the role of Academic Lead for Enterprise supporting the commercial activity of nursing and the allied health professions for the Faculty of Health and Social Care. This involved leading on all local, national and international business facing activity and managing and developing opportunities from enquiry, negotiation, through to project delivery and evaluation. This includes Public/ Private Sector, Hospitals, Oil, Gas & Renewable Industry, Academic Institutions and SME business. Her current role, as the Academic Lead for Internationalisation is to advance the international agenda of the School by contributing at strategic, operational and project management levels. Pamela has travelled extensively and involved in business interests in the Middle East, Australia and Asia.
As Deputy Director of the Scottish Centre for Evidence-based, Multi-professional Practice: A Joanna Briggs Institute (JBI) Centre of Excellence, Pamela is involved in delivering comprehensive systematic review training and undertaking systematic reviews and she is a JBI certified systematic reviewer and trainer. She has published widely on topics including medication error, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), dementia, chronic low back pain, clinical competencies, skills fade, working with translators and breast-feeding support. Pamela currently completing a PhD on COPD in working age people and has extensively published and presented papers at national and international conferences. She is a peer-reviewer for several nursing and systematic review journals and an honorary examiner for the Faculty of Health Sciences in the University of Adelaide and external examiner for Kingston University and St Georges and also University West of Scotland.
- 2013 Cooper, K., (PI), Stewart, A, and Kirkpatrick, P. A Report on the health effects of long ladder climbing in wind turbine workers. RenewableUK. [£9412]
- 2013 - 2014 Kirkpatrick, P. (PI) Chest Heart & Stroke Scotland for project entitled “Psychosocial and physical factors of working age people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease”. [£4712]
- 2009 - 2010 Kirkpatrick, P. (PI), Wimpenny, P. and Wilson, E. - QNIS £2000 Partnership in Research Award for a Systematic Review; £2000 funding by JBI. A qualitative review on the experiences of support for individuals, their families and carers living with one or more long term condition (LTC) being cared for by nurses in the community. June 2009 - December 2010. [£4000]
- KIRKPATRICK, P., COOPER, K., MAEHLE, V. and PETERS, M., 2017. Sustaining employment with COPD: a scoping review protocol. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports (under peer review).
- COOPER, K., MAEHLE, V. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2017. Absolute clinical skill decay in the medical, nursing and allied health professions: a scoping review protocol. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports 15(6), pp. 1522-1527.
- MCCULLOCH, S., ROBERTSON, D. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2016. Sustaining adults with dementia or mild Cognitive impairment in employment: a systematic review of qualitative evidence. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 79(11), pp. 682-692.
- MACVICAR, S., KIRKPATRICK, P., HUMPHREY, T. and FORBES-MCKAY, K., 2015. Supporting breastfeeding establishment among socially disadvantaged women: a meta-synthesis. Birth, 42(4), pp. 290-298.
- HAKONSEN, S.J., PEDERSEN P.U., THOMSEN, T., BATH-HEXTALL, F., KIRKPATRICK, P. and CHRISTENSEN, B.N., 2015. Diagnostic accuracy of a validated screening tool for monitoring nutritional status in patients with colorectal cancer. A systematic review. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 13(4), pp. 141-187.
- STEPHEN, A., BRUCE, D. BERMANO, G. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2015. Competencies for the multi-disciplinary team caring for severely obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery. A systematic review. Appetite, 87, p. 385.
- COOPER, K. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2014. The effectiveness of peer support interventions for community dwelling adults with chronic non-cancer pain: A systematic review. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 12(5), pp. 319-348.
- MACVICAR, S. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2014. The effectiveness and maternal satisfaction of breast feeding support for women from disadvantaged groups. A comprehensive systematic review. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports; 12(6), p. 420.
- COOPER, K., STEWART, A. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2013. Health effects associated with working in the wind power generation industry. Report for RenewableUK.
- COOPER, K., STEWART, A. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2013. Health effects associated with working in the wind power generation industry. A systematic review protocol. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 12(11), pp 327-373.
- STEPHEN, A., BERMANO, G., BRUCE, D. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2013. Competencies and skills to enable effective care of severely obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery: a systematic review protocol from a multidisciplinary health care perspective. A systematic review protocol. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 11(8), pp. 84-96.
- SMITH, S. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2013. The use of solution-focused brief therapeutic communication in patients with COPD. Primary Health Care, 23(10), pp. 27-32.
- KIRKPATRICK, P., WILSON, E. and WIMPENNY, P., 2012. Research to support evidence-based practice in COPD community nursing. British Journal of Community Nursing, 17 (10), pp 486-492.
- KIRKPATRICK, P., WILSON, E. and WIMPENNY, P., 2012. Support for older people with COPD in community settings. A systematic review of qualitative research. The Joanna Briggs Library of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 10(57), pp. 3649-3763.
- WEBSTER, B., KIRKPATRICK, P. and MARTINDALE, S., 2012. Advancing continuous professional development for remote health care practitioners. The Journal of the Institute of Remote Healthcare Journal, 3(1), pp. 3-9.
- MCKIE, A., BAGULEY, F., GUTHRIE, C., JACKSON, C., KIRKPATRICK, P., LAING, A., O’BRIEN, S., TAYLOR, R. and WIMPENNY, P., 2012. Exploring clinical wisdom in nursing education. Nursing Ethics, 19(2), pp. 252-267.
- WASTI, S.P., VAN TEIJLINGEN, E., SIMKHADA, P., RANDALL, J., BAXTER, S., KIRKPATRICK, P. and SINGH, S.G.C., 2011. Factors impacting on adherence of antiretroviral treatment for people living with HIV/AIDS in Asian developing countries. A systematic review. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 3(11), pp. 1-11.
- SMITH, S., ADAMS, D., KIRKPATRICK, P. and MCROBIE, G., 2011. Using solution-focused conversations to support patients. Nursing Standard, 25(52), pp. 42-47.
- EBOH, W. O., KIRKPATRICK, P., CAIE, L. and MCROBIE, G., 2010. Practice evaluation of the prescribing practices of diabetic specialist nurses for oral hypoglycaemic medication for people with Type 2 Diabetes. Aberdeen: NHS Grampian.
- KIRKPATRICK, P., WILSON, E. and WIMPENNY, P., 2010. Support for older people with COPD in community settings. A systematic review of qualitative research. Report for the Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland and Joanna Briggs Institute.
- KIRKPATRICK, P. and VAN TEIJLINGEN, E., 2009. Lost in translation: Reflecting on a model to reduce translation and interpretation bias. The Open Nursing Journal, 3, pp. 25-32.
- PANT, P., POOBALAN, A., KIRKPATRICK, P. and SINGH, V., 2015. Emerging non-communicable disease in Nepal. In: S. WASTI, E. VAN TEIJLINGEN, and P. SIMKHADA, eds. The dynamics of health in Nepal. Kathmandu, Nepal: Himal Press.
- PEARSON, A., WHITE, H., BATH-HEXTALL, F., SALMOND, S., APOSTOLO, J., KIRKPATRICK, P. and LOCKWOOD, C., 2014. A mixed methods approach to evidence synthesis. New York: Wolters Kluwer/MR Books.
- PEARSON, A., WHITE, H., BATH-HEXTALL, F., SALMOND, S., APOSTOLO, J. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2014. Methodology for JBI mixed methods systematic reviews. In: The Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers Manual 2014.
- EWEN, J. and KIRKPATRICK, P., 2009. Personal and oral hygiene. In: H. IGGULDEN, C. MACDONALD and K. STANILAND, eds. Clinical skills: the essence of caring. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- KIRKPATRICK, P., 2011. "Ever tried gluing a balloon back together?" The Challenges of Living with COPD. Joanna Briggs Institute International Convention. Adelaide: Australia.
- CURRIE, DR. K., KIRKPATRICK, P., BIGGAM, DR. J., CORCORAN, DR. T., and GRUNDY, DR. M., 2011. Conference core paper presentation: Evaluating the evolution of action learning sets to support advanced nursing practice. NET Conference. September. Churchill College, Cambridge.
- KIRKPATRICK, P. AND WILSON, E., 2011. Conference Presentation: Keeping People at Home: Support for Older People with COPD in Community Settings. Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland Conference. Edinburgh.
- KIRKPATRICK,P.and WIMPENNY, DR. P., 2010. Conference presentation: Decisions, decisions, decisions!!! - Negotiating the maze of a qualitative systematic review. ('Best Paper' Award). 7th Biennial Joanna Briggs Colloquium. Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- KIRKPATRICK, P. and WIMPENNY, DR. P., 2010. Conference presentation: Roles and systems for routine medication administration to prevent medication errors in acute care settings: A systematic review. 7th Biennial Joanna Briggs Colloquium. Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- VAN TEIJLINGEN, PROF. E., SIMKHADA, DR. P., PITCHFORTH, DR. E., SIMKHADA, B., WOODES-ROGERS, S., KIRKPATRICK,P. and STEPHEN, DR. J., 2010. Conference paper: Working with interpreters: reflections on qualitative research in Asia. 8th Biennial International Qualitative Research Conference. Bournemouth University, England.
- KIRKPATRICK, P., 2008. Conference presentation: The sexual and reproductive health (SRH) of young women in rural villages in a hill region in Nepal. The International Confederation of Midwives Conference. Glasgow.
- Leading, managing and advancing nursing practice
- Research, evidence based practice & systematic reviews
- Long term conditions
- Work based learning
- Masters and Honours dissertation supervision