|Position:||Research Theme Leader|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263884|
Duties and Responsibilities
Professor Simon Burnett is the Research Theme Leader for Information and Communications. He is a Reader and Research Co-ordinator specialising in Information Management.
He also founded the Centre for Knowledge Management (CKM) in 2000, launched in response to the growing importance and development of the knowledge economy. The primary aim of the centre was to assist organisations in unlocking their untapped potential to achieve competitive advantage through the effective management of knowledge. Expertise was drawn from a wide range of experience within learning organisations, gaining an understanding of the way in which information is communicated. And also experience in identifying and measuring competencies and capabilities within organisations, and in offering solutions to more efficient methods of information and knowledge flow. Some of the output at the centre can be seen under CKM Research and Consultancy.
The centre was one of a series of initiatives and developments at Aberdeen Business School reflecting our close ties with the industrial and professional infrastructure at local, national and international levels.
Professor Burnett is currently an Associate Director of the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science
External / Professional Roles
- Subject external examiner (Business Information Systems) and Award Board External for Business programmes, London South Bank University.
- Keynote Speaker, IT as a Utility – Libraries of the Future: Community Engagement, March 2014, University of Aberdeen, UK.
- Programme Committee Member, ISIC (2014)
- Conference Paper Reviewer, IFKAD (2014)
- Information Development (2012-present), Journal Referee
- External Reviewer, South Africa National Research Foundation (2011)
- Journal Referee, IFKAD (2011-present)
- Journal Referee, KMR&P (2011-present)
- Committee Member, 6th International Conference on Knowledge Management (2009)
- Member, Scottish Knowledge Management Network (2009-present)
- Journal Referee, LIBRI (2006-present)
- Local committee member, i3 Conference (2009-present)
- External Examiner, University of the West of Scotland (2008-2013)
- External Auditor, DSTL Knowledge Services Group (2003)
- Core member of the CILIP competitiveness and the knowledge based economy policy advisory group (2002)
Publication List (Peer Reviewed)
- Grinnall, A. and Burnett, S., 2015. First catch your fish: designing a “low energy fish” label. Sustainability, 7(5), pp.6086-6101.
- Cleverley, P.H., Burnett, S. and Muir, L., 2015, Exploratory information searching in the enterprise: a study of user satisfaction and task performance. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology
- Cleverley, P.H. and Burnett, S. , 2015. The best of both worlds: highlighting the synergies of combining knowledge modelling and automated techniques to improve information search and discovery in oil and gas exploration. Paper presented at Knowledge Organization – making a difference. The impact of knowledge organization on society, scholarship and progress. ISKO UK biennial conference, 13th – 14th July 2015, London.
- Cleverley, P. and Burnett, S. (2014) Retrieving haystacks: a data driven information needs model for faceted search. Journal of Information Science (Paper accepted for publication).
- Smith, R., Pedersen, S. and Burnett, S. (2014) Towards an Organizational Folklore of Policing: The Storied Nature of Policing and the Police Use of Storytelling. Folklore 01/2014; 125(2).
- Pedersen, S., Burnett, S., Smith, R. and Grinnall, A. (2014). The impact of the cessation of blogs on others within the police blogosphere. New Technology, Work and Employment. In press.
- Burnett, S., Williams, D. and Grinnall, A. (2013). The strategic role of knowledge auditing and mapping: an organisational case study. Knowledge and Process Management, 20(3), pp. 161-176. doi:10.1002/kpm.1416.
- Burnett, S., Grinnall, A. and Williams, D. (2013). What have we learned so far? The development and application of an organisational learning narrative. Knowledge Management Research & Practice (Special Edition), in print.
- Horsburgh, B., Craw, S., Williams, D., Burnett, S., Morrison, K. and Martin, S. (2013) User Perceptions of Relevance and Its Effect on Retrieval in a Smart Textile Archive. Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development: Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 7969, 2013, pp 149-163.
- Burnett, S. (2012). Explicit to Tacit: the Role of Explicit Knowledge Resources in Technological Innovation in the UK oil and gas industry. Libri, 62(2),pp.145–156.
- Pedersen, S., Burnett, S., Smith, R. and O’Neill, A. (2012). Motivations for police blogging and how fear of being ‘outed’ can force a blogger to cease. Selected Papers of Internet Research. [online]. ir 13.0. Available from: http://spir.aoir.org/index.php/spir/article/view/9/pdf.
- Deverell, A. and Burnett, S. (2012). Need-to-know cultures. An investigation into intra and extra organisational knowledge sharing cultures in local government in the UK. Knowledge and Process Management, 19 (3) pp. 131–141.
- Burnett, S. and Williams, D. (2012). The Role of Knowledge Transfer in Technological Innovation: An Oil and Gas Industry Perspective. Knowledge Management Research and Practice, Knowledge Management Research & Practice, December 2012.
- Burnett, S. and Illingworth, L., (2008). Anonymous knowledge sharing in a virtual environment: a preliminary investigation. Knowledge and Process Management, 15(1), pp.1-11.
- Burnett, S., Williams, D., & Webster, L., (2005). Knowledge support for interdisciplinary models of healthcare delivery: a study of knowledge needs and roles of Managed Clinical Networks. Health Informatics Journal, 11(2), pp.146-160.
- Burnett, S., Illingworth, L., & Webster, L., (2004). Knowledge auditing and mapping: a pragmatic approach. Knowledge and Process Management, 11, pp.1-13.
- Burnett, S., Brookes-Rooney A., and Keogh, W. (2002). Brokering Knowledge in Organizational Networks: The SPN Approach. Knowledge and Process Management, 9 (1), pp1-11.
- Illingworth, L., Williams, D., & Burnett, S., (2002). The costs and benefits of the Internet as a marketing and communications tool: the attitudes, perceptions and experiences of the non-profit environmental sector in Scotland. Aslib Proceedings, 54(2), pp.280-293.
- Brooks-Rooney, A., Burnett, S. and Keogh, W. (1999) Sharing Knowledge of Exceptional Achievements to Accelerate Change and Enhance Competitiveness. SPE Paper No. 56975.
- Burnett, S., Williams, D. and Illingworth, L. (2013) Reconsidering the Knowledge Audit Process: Methodological Revisions in Practice. Knowledge and Process Management, 20(3), pp. 141-153.
Other Published Works (Editor Reviewed)
- Burnett, S., Pedersen, S., Smith, R. and O’Neill, A. (2012). Venting, joining and educating: Motivations for knowledge sharing in the UK police blogosphere. Business Information Review, 29(1) pp.57–63
- Burnett, S., Pedersen, S. and Smith, R. (2012) Storytelling through blogging: a knowledge management and therapeutic tool in policing. SIPR Newsletter, September 2011.
- Burnett, S. (2007). Managing Knowledge: An Essential Reader (2nd edition), Library Review, Vol. 56 (6), pp.518 – 521.
- Burnett, S., & Smith, R., (2003). Beyond the first generation KM. Knowledge Management, 6(7), pp. 18-19.
- Cleverley, P.H. and Burnett, S. , 2015. The best of both worlds: highlighting the synergies of combining knowledge modelling and automated techniques to improve information search and discovery in oil and gas exploration. Paper presented at Knowledge Organization – making a difference. The impact of knowledge organization on society, scholarship and progress. ISKO UK biennial conference, 13 – 14 July 2015, London.
- Cleverley, P. and Burnett, S. Facilitating Serendipity: The role of multi-query text co-occurrence facets in enterprise search and digital library results. 10th International Conference on Knowledge Management, Antalya, Turkey. November 2014 (Paper accepted).
- Burnett, S. Keynote. Libraries of the Future: Community Engagement. Aberdeen, UK. March 2013.
- Burnett, S. Know Who or Know How: Knowledge Contributions in UK Police Blogs. i3, Aberdeen, UK. June, 2013.
- Burnett, S. The Strategic Role of Knowledge Auditing and Mapping: An Organisational Case Study. IFKAD, Matera, Italy. June 2012.
- Burnett, S. Explicit to Tacit: the Role of Explicit Knowledge Resources in Technological Innovation in the UK oil and gas industry. i3, Aberdeen, UK. June, 2011.
- Burnett, S. Telling Stories about Innovations. KMSS02, Sophia Antipolis, France, September 2002.
- Burnett, S. Knowledge Mapping and Auditing. KMEurope 2002, London, November 2002.
- Burnett, S. Developing New Models and Latest Thinking in the Valuation and Measurement of Intellectual Capital. IKON, Amsterdam, June 1999.