BIM @ RGU
A blog reflecting the work of the visualisation research group at RGU
These modules have been developed to enable students to respond to demands of a rapidly changing industry. Those changes are being driven by government strategy, the demands of building information modelling (BIM) and the widespread use of architectural visualisation techniques. The modules are available to take as credit bearing CPD.
The modules will allow you to develop a deep understanding of visualisation techniques, their implications for design, construction and collaboration, and the ways in which they will affect your discipline area and working practice in the future. The modules contain hands-on experience with a range of software packages, providing a foundation upon which students can develop their ideas and project work. Building on our expertise in a range of visualisation fields, modules deal specifically with building information modelling, design visualisation, urban visualisation, virtual collaboration and information visualisation.
BIM courses at RGU:
This module develops critical awareness of building information modeling, and the tools and processes involved.
You will develop an understanding of Building Information Modelling (BIM), and its implications for the built environment across all phases of the life cycle, including design, construction and occupation.
Current PhD Students:
Computer Mediated Collaborative Environments to support Co-operative Design of the Built Environment
Development of a risk response model to handle delays of construction projects in the United Arab Emirates
[available on Openair]
The impact of digitalisation on the management role of architectural technology
[available on Openair]
The impact of CAAD on design methodology and visual thinking in architectural education
[available on Openair]
- Laing, R., Leon, M., Mahdjoubi, L. and J. Scott (2014) Integrating Rapid 3D Data Collection Techniques to Support BIM Design Decision Making, Procedia Environmental Sciences, 22, 120-130. doi
- Leon, M., Laing, R., Malins, J. and H. Salman (2014) Development and Testing of a Design Protocol for Computer Mediated Multidisciplinary Collaboration during the Concept Stages with Application to the Built Environment, Procedia Environmental Sciences, 22, 108-119. doi
- Salman, H., Laing, R. and A. Conniff (2014) The impact of Computer Aided Architectural Design programs on conceptual design in an educational context, Design Studies, available online.
- Tait, E. and Laing, R. (2014) Community engagement and participation with 3D cultural heritage visualisations’, Working Papers of the Communities & Culture Network+, 3(April), available online.
- Mahdjoubi, L., Moobela, C. and R. Laing (2013) Providing real-estate services through the integration of 3D laser scanning and building information modelling, Computers in Industry, doi.
- Mantle, E.J. and R. Laing (2013) Processing of high definition scan data for use within building conservation practice, Journal of Building Survey, Appraisal and Valuation, 1(4), 345-358.
- Laing, R. and J. Scott (2011) 3D high-definition scanning: Data recording and virtual modelling of the built heritage, Journal of Building Appraisal, 6(3-4), 201-211. Available online.
- Conniff, A., Craig, T., Laing, R. and Galan-Diaz, C. (2010) A comparison of active navigation and passive observation of desktop models of future built environments, Design Studies. doi
- Salman, H, Laing, R and A Conniff (2008) The Changing Role of CAAD in the Architectural Design Studio, The Built & Human Environment Review, 1, 25-39.
Books and book chapters (peer reviewed)
Harty, J. and R. Laing (2010) Removing barriers to BIM adoption: clients and code checking to drive changes, in, J. Underwood and U. Isikdag, eds, Handbook of Research on Building Information Modeling and Construction Informatics: Concepts and Technologies. First edn. Hersey, New York, USA: Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global), pp. 546?560.
- Leon, M., Doolan, D.C., R. Laing, Malins, J. and H. Salman (2014) Application of interactive surfaces to support computer mediated collaborative design environment, Proceedings of 18th International Conference Information Visualisation, University of Paris Descartes.
- Leon, M and R. Laing (2013) Cloud and Computer Mediated Collaboration in the Early Architectural Design Stages?A study of early design stage collaboration related to BIM and the Cloud, Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, UWE Bristol.
- Leon, M. and R. Laing (2012) The review of BIM as an effective tool for Collaborative Design during the early design stages, Proceedings of First UK Academic Conference on BIM, Northumbria University, 5-7th September.
- Harty, J. and R. Laing (2008) The impact of coded digital design of architectural process and management, Proceedings of BuiltViz’08, London, 9-11th July.
- Salman, H., Laing, R. and A. Conniff (2006) CAAD Visualisation techniques mediate the conceptual design process as a thinking tool, in Bourdakis, V. and D. Charitos (Ed.) eCAADe 24 Proceedings of the 24th conference in computer aided architectural design in Europe, Volos, 6-9 September, pp. 700-708.
Bring your own heritage
A project led by RGU in partnership with Moray Council to investigate how libraries can harness new technology to enhance community heritage projects.
A platform to assist professional designers when in remote collaboration during the creative stages of the design process.
Join us on Twitter:
BLK360 rguvisualisation.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/blk… https://t.co/REnLVNWUnj