Nexen Petroleum U.K. Limited Scholarship
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the United States and Western Canada.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands and shale gas / oil They have major positions in some of the world’s most significant conventional offshore basins – the UK North Sea, West Africa and Gulf of Mexico. From Europe to Africa to North America, their conventional business forms the heart of their current production and cash flow as well as some of their best prospects going forward.
UK North Sea
Nexen is one of the largest oil producers in the UK North Sea. They have more than doubled their proved reserves in the North Sea since 2004 and continue to actively explore in the region.
The Nexen Petroleum U.K. Limited Scholarship offers one first year student funding support of £2,000 per year up to a maximum of 4 years.
The award is performance linked and students must progress on to a MEng programme after their second year of study.
The scholarship is open to 1st year students studying the following courses:
- BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng/MEng Mechanical and Electrical
Only applicants domiciled in the UK, having a UK passport and classified as paying “home fees” are eligible to apply for the Nexen Petroleum U.K. Limited Scholarship.
The Scholarship will be awarded on the basis of:
- Academic merit (a minimum of 2/1 primary degree)
- Reside in a low income household (in receipt of Educational Allowance or eligible to claim SAAS bursary i.e. household income below £34,000)
- The scholar commits to attending one summer placement over the course of their degree
It is intended that each scholarship will consist of mentoring, support for dissertations and projects, including a potential for a work placement.
In respect of personal characteristics, applicants should be able to demonstrate that they:
- Are enthusiastic, highly motivated and determined to succeed academically and professionally;
- Have a strong commitment to self-development and take a pro-active and committed approach to their education;
- Good communication & interpersonal skills
- Have an awareness of, and interest in, their chosen field of study
How to apply
The selection process begins with students completing an online application form which will be considered by a panel consisting of representatives from the University and Nexen.
In making the decision, the selection panel will take into account the applicant’s educational background and achievements, other relevant information given in their application form. Short listed candidates will be invited to attend an interview at Nexen and the award winner will be selected from amongst this group of students.
Renewal of the award after each year is dependent on continued good academic performance, and is subject to terms and conditions as specified by Nexen.
Application and reference form for the Scholarship can be downloaded below:
Completed application forms should be submitted to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is Monday 16 October 2017. All applications must be received by that date in order to be considered for the scholarship.