Display screen equipment (dse) and workstations
Procedure and Information on DSE use at work
What is DSE?
Devices or equipment with an alphanumeric or graphic display screen and includes PC/Mac monitors, laptops, touch screens, smartphones and tablets.
Purpose of this procedure and information
To identify and protect employees who regularly use DSE as a significant part of their normal work. This may be quantified as continuous periods of an hour or more for most days at work.
responsibilities to employees
- Analyse workstations to assess and reduce risks to your health
- Make sure controls are in place
- Provide information / training
- Provide eye and eyesight tests on request
- Provide special spectacles if needed solely and specifically for DSE use
- Review DSE assessments if the equipment, environment or personnel change
Good DSE Practice
Eye and Eyesight testing
The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 entitles all employees identified as “DSE Users” to an eye and eyesight test.
DSE Work does not cause damage to eyes or eyesight. Eye tests are provided to employees to ensure that users can comfortably see the screen and work effectively without visual fatigue.