Residential Child Care Course BA
BA Residential Child Care
The BA Residential Child Care course content is mapped to the Standard for Residential Child Care in Scotland (2013) and will be a recognized Level 9 qualification for all Residential Child Care workers in Scotland*
The course is designed for employment based students - See entry requirements section for further details.
2. What you will study
The course will focus on a number of themes including:
- The centrality of relationships
- Human Growth and Development
- Adversity and Resilience
- Group processes and practice
In addition, the development of new skills will be supported by the creative use of activities to demonstrate how bonds between the service user and worker might be strengthened.
The Course will:
- Draw on models and theory from North American, European and Scottish traditions or Residential Child Care
- Provide an holistic focus on the individual, family and community
- Explore emotional, psychological, physical, spiritual and sexual development
- Emphasise group care and community based practice with a critical and reflective approach to application
3. How you will learn
The Course Delivery will include:
- Eight 3-day block periods of teaching
- Workbooks and supporting material and information accessed via the University's Virtual Learning Environment ( Campus Moodle)
- Two sixty day placements, one or both of which can take place in your own employing agency
Agencies supporting individuals to undertake this qualification will be expected to identify a Mentor
4. Entry requirements
Course entry is at Stage 2 (SCQF Level 8) and so applicants will be expected to have attained an HNC or SVQ3 or equivalent.
Eligibility for advanced entry by portfolio into SCQF Level 9 for those with a related degree or a SVQ4 or equivalent.
Applicants whose first language is not English should have an IELTS of 6.0 overall, with no component lower than 5.5.
We accept a variety of in-country and secure English language tests, find out more:
* All entry requirements listed here should be used as a guide and represent the minimum required to be considered for entry. A small number of courses require higher levels, but this will be stated explicitly on your offer letter.
5. Placements and accreditations
There are two sixty day placements in a residential child care service setting.
This course is approved by the SSSC (Scottish Social Services Council)
6. Student Funding
This is a full cost course. SASS grants may be available.
7. Course Fees
For Academic Year 2017/2018
- £2810 per academic year
For Academic Year 2016/2017
- £2730 per academic year
For Academic Year 2014/2015
- £2634 per academic year
Course fees are reviewed periodically and so are subject to change for new applicants. All tuition fees are fixed for the duration of a course at the rate confirmed in your offer letter. You will also be liable to pay a graduation fee of £40 before receiving a University award.For further information see Student Finance pages
8. How to apply
Applicants should Apply Online.
For more information contact:
Completion of the BA Residential Child Care confers eligibility for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) as a Manager/Supervisor in Residential Child Care Services from October 2017 and for Residential Child Care Workers from October 2019.
Back to distance and flexible learning