Information Retrieval & Reuse
This research has developed innovative digital technologies for building and applying intelligent information systems for real-world problems, in particular decision support, product design, project planning, recommender systems and information management.
The main focus is on the retrieval and reuse of information using case based reasoning, where problems are solved by retrieving and reusing similar experiences that are stored in a case base.
Research has developed knowledge-light learning techniques that use only the existing cases to learn explicit knowledge to improve the design and maintenance of the case-based system. Novel complexity-based editing tools have been effective in discovering new cases, reducing redundancy and removing faulty cases. A software tool has been developed that transforms a database of cases into a fully-fledged case-based system including optimised retrieval and reuse.
A suite of text mining software components has been developed to extend the open-source jCOLIBRI framework. Concept discovery algorithms establish similar context within textual content. Semantic knowledge is extracted from concepts and organised into domain-specific taxonomies. Recent projects have turned their attention to multimedia data for image management and music recommendation. Information interaction is also used to incorporate usage into the indexing of multimedia cases.
Information retrieval research has focused on information seeking. A document collection model has been developed that summarises the underlying knowledge structures and represents a user’s search process and space. Research on context-sensitive Information retrieval has explored “entanglements” between users, textual and multimedia content and retrieval contexts.
Academic collaborations involve: IIT Madras, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Northern Research Partnership (NRP), Scottish Informatics & Computer Science Alliance (SICSA), Scottish Academy of Fashion (SAF).
- AHRC - STAR Accessing Implicit Knowledge of Textiles and Design (AHRC with Heriot-Watt & Johnstons)
- Living History (Horizon with Historic Scotland & AmbieSense)
- Case-Based Workflow Creation and Adaptation
- Knowledge Extraction from Text (SICSA)
- Content-Based Video Retrieval
- Hybrid User Profiling and Adaptation (NRP with Yahoo!)
- Audio Feature Extraction for Music Recommendation
- Context-sensitive High-order Language Model (RSE/NSFC with Tianjin)
- QONTEXT Information Access and Retrieval (EU FP7 Marie-Curie)
- AutoAdapt for Assisted Information Seeking (EPSRC with Essex & OU)
- Context-Sensitive Information Retrieval (EPSRC with Glasgow & OU)
- Textual Revision Applications in NLG and Textual CBR (NRP)
- Project Planning for Well Engineering (KTP with XCD)
- CBR for Remote Patient Health-Care Monitoring (KTP with AxSys)
- Complexity Modelling for CBR Systems
- Knowledge Acquisition for Textual CBR (UKIERI with IIT Madras)
- CBR for Anomaly Report Processing (with ESA)
- Propositional Semantic Indexing for Textual Documents
- Sentiment Analysis from Textual Documents
- SmartCAT Case Authoring Tool from Textual Documents
People in the Information Retrieval and Reuse Group
Lecturer, Graphics & Animation Route Leader & MSc Project Co-ordinator
Director of IDEAS Research Institute. Her research interests include case-based reasoning, knowledge discovery, automated knowledge acquisition and refinement, and data/text mining.
Research interest focuses on Textual Case-based Reasoning and related areas.
Senior Member of the Institute for Design, Environment and Sustainability.
Reader in Computing. Her research interests are in knowledge discovery from data and text and Case-based Reasoning (CBR) Systems
Hybrid User Profiling and Adaptation for Personalised Search in Social Media Environment.
Research into CBR in workflow creation and modification.
Researching Content-based Video Retrieval through Spatial-Temporal Information.
Conducting research into context-sensitive information retrieval based on quantum theory.
- Stella Asiimwe
- Muhammed Basharu
- Ganesan Bathumalai
- Ralf Bierig
- Sutanu Chakraborti
- Hannah Cumming
- David Harper
- Daqing He
- David Hendry
- Bin Hu
- Jacek Jarmulak
- Joemon Jose
- Ivan Koychev
- David Lee
- Bo Hu
- Keith Matthews
- Mourad Mechkour
- Peter Milne
- Rahman Mukras
- Gheorghe Muresan
- Sri Nuti
- Bayo Omomowo
- Amandine Orecchioni
- Apkar Salatian
- Rainer Schmidt
- Yixing Sun
- Zia Syed
- Fiona Walsh
- Murat Yaciki
- Jan-Jaap Ydens
- Dietrich Wettschereck