The Cognitive Engineering Group's research is characterised by a focus on imaging, graphics, visualisation, cognitive modelling and user interaction.
The group formed relatively recently to foster synergy between researchers in graphics, video, visualisation and human factors engineering, and to encourage collaboration with the Centre for Video Communications in the School of Engineering.
- dePICT (Developing the ICT Business Base)
3D modelling and visualisation:
- Computer Facial Modeling and Animation
- Virtual Sculpting using Implicit Objects
- Visualisation of Human Gait Data
Human cognition in visualisation and Virtual Reality (VR):
- Application of VR to exposure therapy for anxiety and phobias — the role of presence
Modelling of human cognitive processes and cognitive architectures:
- Optimisation of Adaptive Control of Thought — Rational (ACT-R) for simulating human computer interaction in healthcare
- Human errors in colour perception in Telehealth diagnosis
- Human factors models for enhanced computer based training
- Fully Configurable Video Coding
- Fast video coding: estimation based control of video codec complexity
- Perceptually optimised video coding
- Video Telephony for the Deaf: Analysis and Development of an Optimised Video Compression Product
- Eye Movement Analysis and its Application to Videotelephony
- Brain Volumetric Analysis from MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Professor David Alexander, Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, RGU
- Dr. Albert Burger, Medical Research Council, Human Genetics Unit (Edinburgh) and Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
- Dr. Paul Cockshott, Department of Computing Science, University of Glasgow
- Dr. Gus Ferguson, Biomedical Informatics Systems Engineering Laboratory (BISEL), Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
- Dr. James Ferguson, Scottish Centre for Telehealth, Aberdeen; Accident and Emergency Department, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
- Dr. Susan Klein, Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, RGU
- Bruce Milne, VISCOM (Video and Multimedia) Ltd., Aberdeen
- Pietro Murano, Computer Science Research Centre, Interactive Systems and Media, University of Salford
- Professor Gordon Peterkin, Scottish Centre for Telehealth, Aberdeen
- Professor Ian Ricketts, department of Applied Computing, University of Dundee
- Dr. Paul Siebert, 3D-MATIC Research Laboratory, Department of Computing Science, University of Glasgow
- Dr. Arthur D Stewart, School of Health Sciences, Robert Gordon University
- Professor Nicholas Tarrier, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester
- Dr. Ray White, Biomechanics, School of Health, and Social Sciences, University of Sunderland
- Professor Qingchuan Zhang, Department of Modern Mechanics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)
Dr. Elyan is an active researcher at the Institute for Innovation, Design & Sustainability at Robert Gordon University. His principal research interests are in the areas of 3D object Modelling and Recognition.
Research Professor in the School of Computing at Robert Gordon University, and Director of the Computational Systems Joint Research Initiative.
Dr Kannangara is Leader of the Centre for Video Communications. He is a researcher and developer in video coding and communications and has made a significant contribution to the video communications industry through published research and development. His research interests include, low-complexity video coding, perceptually optimised video coding and fully configurable video coding.
Dr Muir is a Senior Lecturer (Knowledge Exchange) in the Department of Information Management. Her research interests include Perceptually Optimised Video Communication Systems, Information Systems Design and Usability and Information Accessibility.
Research interests in Video CODEC optimisation, Power and coding performance optimisation for video communications, Variable-complexity video coding, Error-resilience video coding.
Cognitive Modelling and Control of Human Error Processes in Human-Computer Interaction with Safety Critical IT Systems in Telehealth.
- Xiangyang Ju
- Iain Richardson
- Robert Noble
- Aggelos Liapis
- Jeanette Rey
- Lin Shang
- Stuart Watt
- Kefeng Zhang