Volunteering OpportunitiesTuesday, 02 April, 2013
Volunteering Opportunities for RGU Students this September
- Do you want to help our new students?
- Do you wish to volunteer for us and give something back to the student community?
- Do you have one to two hours a week spare to help introduce a new international student to University life: perhaps show them round the campus and offer advice on how best to settle in?
Did you know that…
“73% of employers would employ a candidate with volunteering experience over one without”
Volunteering gives you an opportunity to make a difference, meet new people and learn valuable skills, which will enhance your CV and increase your employability. Best of all volunteering is very varied and you can find an opportunity that suits you as an individual!
Student Buddy Scheme
The Student Services Department is now recruiting Buddies to support the September 2013 intake of new international students.
Volunteering as a Student Buddy is a unique and rewarding opportunity to help new students adapt to life in the University and to Aberdeen more generally.
You should be able to commit to one to two hours a week, for up to two months, to meet with a new student and answer their questions. Buddies can also meet new students at special social evenings, and also engage with them on the Buddy Scheme Facebook page.
Email CV and covering letter fully explaining why you wish to be a Student Buddy to BuddiesScheme@rgu.ac.uk, or alternatively in hardcopy to the Student Help Point.
Closing date: 1 July 2013
What are the rewards?
- Valuable volunteering experience
- Enhance your CV
- Work towards a Volunteer Award
- Make new friends
What sort of person are we looking for?
We are looking for students with:
- Excellent communication skills
- A demonstrable knowledge of RGU as well as the City of Aberdeen
- A genuine desire to help new students
Volunteers must also be reliable and professional in their approach to work.
What Previous Volunteers Have Said
“All in all, it was a terrific experience and am glad I volunteered!”
“My volunteering experience has been very positive, fun and fulfilling. I had a brilliant time, met some great people and will continue to look for volunteering opportunities wherever I go next. The experience has truly been inspiring and contributed significantly to my incredible time at RGU, and I would encourage anyone interested to pursue it!”