Collect your gown from the Beach Ballroom. Enter the venue when the doors open, one hour before the beginning of the ceremonies.
On arrival your guests will be shown to their seats and you will be directed to Student Check-in to register your attendance and be allocated a seat number (which you will then be directed to).
Graduands (those graduating) and guests should be seated no less than 20 minutes before the start of the ceremony. If graduands arrive later they may not be able to take part in the ceremony as expected.
What to expect during the ceremony
- University Staff will indicate when to leave your seat with your fellow students. Take only your hat with you
- Your hood should already by on. Keep your hat in your left hand
- University Staff will indicate to you when to move towards the right of the stage and will direct you onto the stage at the appropriate time
- Your name will be called by the Dean of Faculty or Head of School
- Cross the stage as directed
- Stand in front of the Chancellor/Vice Chancellor who will confer the award
- If you are being presented with a degree then you will be capped. The Chancellor/Vice-Chancellor will use his own cap to confer the degree
- Face the audience with your back to the stage
- Continue across the stage and collect your scroll
- Leave by the steps stage left and return to your seat
Guests with cars should leave adequate time to find parking spaces. There is plenty of free parking in the vicinity of the Beach Ballroom.
If stairs present a difficulty for you alternative access to the stage can be made if you tell us in advance.
Please note this at your online registration, along with any other concerns you may have about the ceremony, and the Student Administration staff will contact you. You should note at the same time if the venue presents any potential difficulties for any of your guests.
Notes for Guests
Guests are asked to keep mobile phones switched off. Please be aware of other guests when taking photos. No food or drink can be consumed during the ceremony.
If guests do not present a ticket at the front door, they may not be admitted. Any spare seats will be allocated on the day and will depend on overall attendance numbers.
Children are welcome, but it is worth noting that the ceremony lasts for approximately 90 minutes. We suggest that guests with young children arrive in good time to secure seats near an exit in case they become restless.
Parents with young children will be asked to leave prams and buggies in storage areas as directed by staff. This is to prevent the blocking of fire routes.
If the child is under two then they can sit on a guest's knee. Children over that age will require a ticket due to fire regulations.
Please avoid bringing any large bags or pieces of luggage to the ceremony. This is to prevent the blocking of fire routes or tripping in the aisles.
You will be given your graduation certificate at Student Check-in. Your certificate will be in a polythene pocket. This is a precautionary measure to prevent the certificate being damaged.
During the ceremony you will be presented with an embossed scroll holder in which you can store your certificate for posterity. The certificate includes gold embossing and is printed on high quality archival parchment paper.