Gown hire for Students
All students graduating in person should order the appropriate academic dress. This consists of a gown, hood and (in most cases) a cap.
Under the gown, male students should dress in dark suits and white shirts. Female students should dress in black or white dresses, skirts or trousers and blouses.
Alternatively, national dress (including the kilt, with any style of jacket) may be worn. You should arrive at the ceremony wearing the academic dress.
Gowns, hoods and caps for students are supplied by Ede and Ravenscroft Ltd. Before you order you need to know your height, chest measurement and head circumference. You will pay for the gown hire at the time of ordering. Please order your gown 4 weeks before the ceremony (date to be confirmed).
Order by visiting their website at:
- or by calling direct on 01223 861854 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Facilities for the deaf and hard of hearing or those with speech impairment are available using your textphone - dial 18001 01223 861854 to access the RNID Typetalk System.
Style of Academic Dress
Recipients of University or SQA HND/HNC awards should be dressed according to the following styles, adopted by the University and the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
Master of Pharmacy, Master of Engineering and Graduate Certificate in Management Studies are undergraduate courses, and graduands from these courses should choose a bachelor gown, hood and cap.
- SQA HNC/HND: Black cloth in traditional Bachelor style, worn 12" off ground
- University Diplomas and Certificates (CertHE/DipHE): Black cloth in traditional Bachelor style, worn 12" off ground
- Bachelors: Black cloth in traditional Bachelor style, worn 12" off ground
- Postgraduate Diplomas and Certificates: Black cloth in traditional Masters style, worn 8" off ground
- Masters: Black cloth in traditional Masters style, worn 8" off ground
- MPhil: As Masters but with 2 1/2" facings of white University silk
- PhD: Black panama in traditional style, fronts and sleeves with white University silk
- SQA HNC: Blue fully lined in gold with an overlap of gold and SQA crest
- SQA HND: Blue fully lined in gold with an overlap of white and SQA crest
- University Diplomas and Certificates (CertHE/DipHE): Simple shape of black, part lined in white University silk
- Bachelors: Full shape of black, part lined in white University silk
- Postgraduate Diplomas and Certificates: Simple shape of black, fully lined in white University silk
- Masters: Full shape of black, fully lined and bound cape edge in white University silk
- MPhil: Full shape of black, fully lined and bound cape edge in white University silk
- PhD: Full shape of black panama, fully lined and bound cape and cowl in white University silk
- Bachelors: Black cloth mortar board
- Masters: Black cloth mortar board
- PhD: Black cloth bonnet with cord and tassels of white
Students who are already University graduates may wear the dress to which they are entitled including hood, or may wear the appropriate gown and be hooded with the newly acquired degree or diploma. University degree students may carry black caps.
- A gold medallion on a blue ribbon, worn at Graduation recognises students with sporting achievements.
- A gold medallion on a red ribbon, worn at Graduation recognises students with outstanding society's achievements.
Collection and Return
Ede and Ravenscroft will be in the Boys Brigade Hall, 44 Skene Terrace for the collection and return of gowns, hoods and hats.
Those graduating on Tuesday 14 July can collect their outfits from 10.00am on the day, with returns no later than 5.30pm.
Those graduating at all other ceremonies can collect between 4.30pm and 5.30pm the afternoon before their ceremony, or from 8.00am on the day of their ceremony. Graduands must return gowns by 5.30pm on the day of their ceremony.