ISAK Anthropometry Course
These courses are ideal for sport and exercise professionals, sport scientists, physiotherapists, nutritionists and dietitians who require accurate anthropometric assessment and profiling. Successful attendees will gain an international ISAK anthropometry qualification (valid for 4 years) in the accurate measurement of body composition.
The University offer both ISAK level 1 and level 2 courses, and an opportunity for re-accreditation for those whose accreditation is due for renewal or has lapsed for less than 2 years.
The courses are delivered by ISAK-certified trainers and are hosted at the Robert Gordon University's Garthdee campus.
All anthropometry equipment is provided and final assessment is in the form of a practical exam.
2. What you will study
The course includes:
- Direct lecturing, practical training and technique coaching by qualified ISAK instructors
- 125 page 2011 current edition ISAK manual (Stewart, A., Marfell-Jones, M., Olds, T. & de Ridder, H. (2011). International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment. International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, Lower Hutt, New Zealand) for detailed measurement descriptions.
- A practical final exam that includes provision of volunteers to be measured
- Proforma sheet templates for transcribing measurement data
- Excel spreadsheet tool for post-course measurements
- Copies of all lecture materials
A precise timetable will be sent to participants once enrolled.
3. How you will learn
The course format consists of theoretical and practical components. It includes lectures and interactive seminars/demonstrations delivered over 6 hours, and participants working in small groups measuring and being measured as an integral part of the learning process.
Level 1 is undertaken over 3 consecutive days, whilst level 2 is undertaken over 4 days. Re-accreditation requires attendance for only 1 day.
All course elements take place at the Garthdee Campus:
School of Pharmacy & Life Sciences
Sir Ian Wood Building
Robert Gordon University
School of Health Sciences
Health and Social Care Building
Robert Gordon University
Course Instructors and Examiners
4. Entry Requirements
A willingness to dress appropriately and to be measured by other candidates is essential. Attendees are each rto provide the following:
- Appropriate loose clothing that allows for measuring during practice (e.g. Running shorts, training top, vest etc) worn to enable easy access to shoulder, abdomen, arm and leg regions.
- A clipboard and ball point / felt tipped pens (at least 4) / dermographic pencil or eye-liner
- Cleansing wipes to remove penned marks
Additionally, the following items are recommended:
- Laptop / netbook / tablet / USB memory pen drive
- Your own anthropometry equipment if you prefer (clearly labelled if so)
- Business cards (many useful contacts are generated in ISAK courses)
- Reference texts:
- Stewart, A.D. & Sutton, L. (Editors). Body Composition in Sport Exercise and Health. Abingdon, UK: Routledge (220 pp).
- Anthropometrica, by Kevin Norton and Tim Olds, published in 1996, reprinted 2000, 2001 by University of New South Wales Press;
- Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics in Sport, Edited by Tim Ackland, Bruce Elliott and John Bloomfield; Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Those wishing to undertake the level 2 qualification must have successfully completed a level 1 ISAK course, evidenced by production of their ISAK certificate.
5. How to apply
To enquire about other courses, please contact:
- Susan Lennie,
Level III Instructor,
Tel: 01224 262863.
The course fee for the ISAK Anthropometry course are:
- External Candidate: £325
- External Candidate (student): £275
- RGU Staff: £220
- RGU Student (PALS/Health Sciences): £125
Please note that student status will be monitored.
Fees include all your instruction together with any printed materials that are required to complete the course.
For Bed & Breakfast accommodation, see the Scottish Accommodation Index website.
We have provided a list of various hotels that offer RGU Corporate rates. To be eligible for these rates when booking, please quote “RGU/Robert Gordon University”.
- Radisson Park Inn, Justice Mill Lane
- Norwood Hall, Garthdee
- Jury’s Inn, Union Square
- Douglas Hotel, Market Street*
If staying in the city centre, information about transport to and from the Garthdee campus is also available.
* No corporate rates but the pricing is very competitive
Back to subjects