Postgraduate applicants may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan, Living Cost Loan or a Postgraduate Loan.
Students from Scotland
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan
Eligible (Scottish domiciled and EU) students can now apply for a Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan.
Full-time students undertaking an eligible course can apply for a tuition fee loan up to a maximum of £5,500.
Part-time students can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 for the course split across each year of their course. Courses should take no longer than twice the length of the full-time equivalent course. For example, one year full-time courses could attract two years of part-time support and two year full-time courses could attract four years of part-time support. One year full-time courses that have a part time option that take 3 years are not eligible.
Postgraduate Living Cost Loan
Eligible full-time postgraduate students on an eligible course can apply to SAAS for a living cost loan.
To be eligible for the living cost loan students must be:
- undertaking a full-time course
- meet the residence eligibility criteria
- be under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course
The maximum amounts available are:
- full-time one year courses - £4,500
- full-time two year courses - £2,250 per year
Students from England
Students undertaking a full postgraduate master’s course (not a top-up course) may be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan from Student Finance England.
- maximum available is £10,000
- non-means tested
- a contribution to use the loan towards fees, maintenance costs or other costs
- paid directly to the student
Courses can be:
- full-time, lasting 1 or 2 academic years
- part-time, lasting 2 to 4 academic years but must not take more than twice the length of the equivalent full time course