Mechanical Engineering MEng
This intellectually challenging MEng course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and provides the full academic requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) status, the highest professional qualification for an Engineer.
Mechanical Engineering is concerned with the design, development, construction, operation and maintenance of just about anything that has moveable parts, from artificial hip joints to oil rigs.
Mechanical engineers are constantly striving to produce safer, more durable, cost effective and efficient machines and mechanical devices, many of these having a direct impact on society and the quality of our lives.
Chartered Engineers are always in very high demand and excellent job opportunities are available in practically every field of work. If you are a team-player who has the ability to work methodically and logically and enjoys the challenge of innovating and problem-solving, this course will lead you into a fulfilling career with excellent prospects.
2. What you will study
- Maths 1A
- Statics and Dynamics
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering
- Professional Skills
- Maths 1B
- Introduction to Design Materials and Manufacture
- Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics
- Product Development
- Maths 2A
- Mechanics of Solids
- The Strategy of Design and Manufacture
- Dynamics Products in Service
- Introduction to Electronics
- Electrical Power
- Maths 3A
- Signal Acquisition, Instrumentation and Control
- Environmental Engineering
- Project Management
- Team Working and Leadership
- Engineering Analysis 1
- Industrial Plant
- Electrical Power and Energy Systems
- Group Project (Engineering Stage 3)
- Principles of Asset Management
- Socially Responsible Management
- Pre-Project Industrial Placement (Double Module)
- Engineering Analysis
- Failure Analysis (remove comma)
- Safety, Risk and Reliability Management
- MEng: Individual Project
- Systems Engineering
- Plant Performance
- Control and Instrumentation
- Engineering Analysis 3
- Quality Management for Engineers
- Post-Project Industrial Placement (Double Module)
3. Entry requirements
SQA Higher ABBB to include Maths and Physics and/or Technological Studies, plus Standard Grade 3 English if not held at Higher.
GCE A Level BBC to include Maths and Physics or Engineering or Design and Technology, plus GCSE in English or English Language.
Irish Leaving Certificate: AB2B2B2 at Higher level to include Maths and either Physics or Technological Studies, plus Ordinary Level English C1 if not held at Higher.
IB Diploma 29 including Maths and Physics/ Technological Studies at Higher Level. One of these must be at Grade 6 and one at Grade 5. English is required at a minimum of Standard Level Grade 4.
Alternative Qualifications Equivalent overseas qualifications, SQA, BTEC, S/NVQs will be considered. Applications are welcomed from students with alternative qualifications and relevant work experience.
* All entry requirements listed here should be used as a guide and represent the minimum required to be considered for entry. Applicants who are made a conditional offer of a place may be asked to achieve more than is stated.
English language requirements for those whose first language is not English.
4. Placements and accreditations
The MEng ‘fast track' version of the course involves summer industrial placements following years 3 and 4, enabling completion of the MEng in 48 months. Eligibility for this route will be confirmed at the end of year 2 and is conditional on academic performance (students must perform well academically in all aspects of the course) and a suitable placement being available. Placement positions are not guaranteed for any of the courses.
The course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
5. Student Funding
If you are a Scottish resident or EU national you are not liable to pay fees and should apply to SAAS for funding.
Students from other parts of the UK should visit the appropriate website:
Locally-based companies recognise the value of an engineering education at Robert Gordon University and they have made available a number of different scholarships for the financial support of selected undergraduate students. The following scholarships are available to students on this course: Talisman, Wood Group, Bureau Veritas, Petrofac and AMEC.
6. Course Fees
For Academic Year 2013/2014
- £1820 per academic year
Rest of UK Students
- £6,750 per academic year
- £8,500 per year 3 and 4 for accelerated MEng
- £12,500 per academic year
- £18,750 per year 3 and 4 for accelerated MEng
For Academic Year 2012/2013
- £11,100 per academic year
- £5,550 Summer placement
For Academic Year 2011/2012
- £1820 per academic year
- £10,750 per academic year
- £5375 Summer placement
All course fees are reviewed annually and subject to change. Published fees apply to the course's mode of delivery.For further information see Student Finance pages
7. How to apply
All applicants must apply online at www.ucas.com/students/apply.
Once you register and create your username and password you are guided through the process of applying. After submission, log in to your UCAS Track account and you can see the progress of your application, view and respond to your offers.