|Position:||Professor Intelligent Systems Research|
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and Teaching
- Moderator MSc Big Data Analytics (IIT – SL)
- PhD in Informed Selection of Training Examples for Knowledge Refinement, Robert Gordon University (2001)
Nirmalie’s research interests include both theoretical and practical aspects of machine learning and intelligent systems with particular focus on Case-based Reasoning (CBR), Text Mining and Machine Learning. Current application focus is on digital health and algorithms for self-management and intervention.
The underlying aim of her research is to reduce the demand on manual intervention through the development of knowledge-rich representations for intelligent monitoring and decision support systems that reason with data, text and multimedia content. A common theme applicable across all content is to exploit similarity knowledge for effective modelling and semantic indexing.
She is an executive member of the British Computer Society’s Specialist Group on AI since 2002 and was editor of their Expert Update magazine (2005-2010). She has organised many research workshops on textualCBR, webCBR, SocialMedia Mining and more recently on Evolving systems and Deep Learning. She was also chair of the international CBR conference in 2011. Externally, Nirmalie has been a member of the programme committees of ECCBR, ICCBR, ECML/PKDD, IJCAI and FLAIRS. She also pioneers the cause for women in computing and co-chaired the Scottish women in computing research and networking 2015 event in Aberdeen. She currently has several PhD and funded research projects related to knowledge modelling and representation from time-series and social media data.
BCS Specialist Group on AI
- M.M. Gaber, M. Cocea, N. Wiratunga & A. Goker. Advances in Social Media Analysis. In: Studies in Computational Intelligence. 2015. Springer. isbn 9783319184579 10.1007/978-3-319-18458-6 
- N. Wiratunga & S. Delany. The 2015 Doctoral Consortium International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, Workshop Proceedings 7th DC-ICCBR, Frankfurt, Germany, September 28th, 2015. Ceur-WS.org.  A.
- Ram & N. Wiratunga. Case-Based Reasoning Research and Development: 19th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, Proceedings 19th ICCBR 2011, London, UK, September 12-15, 2011. Springer. isbn 978-3-642-23291-
- Sadiq Sani, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Stewart Massie & Kay Cooper. SELFBACK: Physical activity recognition for self-management of low back pain In Proceedings 36th BCS-SGAI International Conference on Innovative Techniques and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 2016. pp. 281-294, Springer, 2016.
- Anil Bandhakavi, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Stewart Massie & P. Deepak. Lexicon generation for emotion detection. Special Issue of IEEE Intelligent Systems Journal on Affective Computing and Sentiment Analysis, 2017. IEEE Article in press.
- A. Muhammad, N. Wiratunga & R. Lothian. Contextual sentiment analysis for social media content. Knowledge Based Systems Journal, special issue on Knowledge-Based Natural Language Processing, 2016. Elsevier. doi:10.1016/j.knosys.2016.05.032.
- Yoke Yie Chen, Xavier Ferrer, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Enric Plaza. Sentiment and preference guided social recommendation Proc. of the 19th Int. Conf. on CBR: 79-94. Springer 2014
- Sani, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Stewart Massie and Rob Lothian. Similarity and Weighting Framework for Classification. Proc. of the 19th Int. Conf. on CBR: 304–318. Springer 2014.
- Martijn van den Branden, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Dean Burton and Susan Craw. Integrating case-based reasoning with an electronic patient record Journal of Artificial intelligence in Medicine.doi:10.1016/j.artmed.2010.12.004.
- Ibrahim Adeyanju, Nirmalie Wiratunga, Juan Recio-Garcia, Rob Lothian, Learning to Author Text with textual CBR. In proceedings of 19th European Conference on AI, pp. 777-782, IOS press, 2010.
- Chakraborti, S., Mukras, R., Lothian, R., Wiratunga, N., Watt, S. &Harper, D (2007). Supervised Latent Semantic. Indexing Using Adaptive Sprinkling. 20th International Joint Conference on AI (IJCAI'07), pp 1582-1587
Additional Information / Media Work / Funding
- Horizon2020 “SelfBACK: A decision support system for self-management of low back pain” 2016-2020. Collaborators NTNU, University of Glasgow, Kiolis France, Det Nationale Forsknings Centre for Arbejdsmiljo, Health Leads Netherlands and Syddansk Universitet
- Innovate UK / Knowledge Transfer Partnership "Computational modeling of emotion and sentiment to improve on-line customer experience and satisfaction" 2017-2019. Collaborator: Sentisum Ltd
- Geographical Ontology refinement and alignment initiative, 2015-2018. Collaborator: British Geological Survey
- SBRI InnovateUK Personalised diabetes education and care - a systemic approach, Stage 1, 2016. Collaborators: UHI, OpenBrolly and NHS Highlands
- Innovate UK/Technology Strategy Board “Intelligent Performance Monitoring for Computer-Assisted Interviewing”, 2012-2015. Collaborator: Pexel Ltd Glasgow.
- British Council UKIERI Research Cooperation Standard Award “Knowledge Acquisition Tools for Textual Case-Based Reasoning”, 2007-2011. Collaborators: Indian Institute of Technology Chennai, IBM-India, European Space Agency.
- Northern Research Partnership PhD Studentship “Case-Based Text Revision: Applications in NLG and Textual CBR”, 2007-2010. Collaborator: University of Aberdeen
- EPSRC/TSB Knowledge Transfer Partnership “CBR for Remote Patient Health-Care Monitoring”, 2007-2009. Collaborator: AxSys Technology Ltd Glasgow.
Current Research Students
- Kyle Martin Case-Based Real-time Adaptive Engineer Site Support System, PhD expected 2019 (BT award). Collaborator: Dr Gilbert Owusu, BT
- Ike Ikechukwu Nkisi-Orji Semantic Information Retrieval for Geoscience Resources, PhD expected 2017 (BUFI award). Collaborator: Rachel Heaven, BGS
- Jeremie Clos Social Argumentation Mining Principal Supervisor, PhD expected 2017 (SICSA award).
- Anil Bandhakavi Emotion Discovery from Heterogeneous Text Collections Principal Supervisor, PhD expected 2017 (IDEAS).
- Yoke Yie Chen Aspect-based Sentiment Analysis in Social Recommender Systems Principal Supervisor, PhD expected 2017 (PETRONAS Funded).
Completed Research Students:
Jose Lloret CAWIML: A Computer Assisted Web Interviewing Mark-up Language MRes (KTP Funded).
Aminu Muhammad Contextual Lexicon-based Sentiment Analysis for Social Media, PhD, 2016.
Sadiq Sani Sub Sampling for Semantic Indexing for Textual CBR, PhD, 2014.
Ibrahim Adeyanju Case-Based Text Revision: Applications in NLG and Textual CBR, PhD, 2010.
Rahman Mukras Representation and Learning for Sentiment Analysis from Text, PhD, 2009.
Sutanu Chakraborti knowledge acquisition for case-retrieval nets, PhD 2007.