|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263509|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Part II MArch: Design Studio Module Coordinator and Studio Tutor
- History and Theory of Architecture: Lecturer and Module Coordinator AC1006, AC2003
- Open Day Coordinator
- Part I, Part II RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of Bath
- BSc General Architectural Studies, University of Bath
- Diploma in English Studies (Language and Literature) Cambridge University
Research Interests / Professional Background
Director of Architect’s Practice EIGHTYSEVEN: www.87architecture.com
- Architecture Design
- History & Theory of Architecture
- Renaissance & Classicism
- Contemporary Spanish Architecture
- 20th Century Parliamentary Architecture
- The Palace of the Aljafería
Additional Information / Media work / Funding
2010 Launch of EIGHTYSEVEN website showcasing design work: www.87architecture.com
2008-09 Bathing Beauties, seaside development competition exhibited at several locations in UK
2006 Artist Studio built design featured in Timber Skins Exhibition, Scott Sutherland School
1998 Curator, The Scottish Parliament Architectural Competition, Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.
1995 Curator, Competition entries exhibited, RIAS Gallery.
1994 Researcher, Leon Battista Alberti, The Intellectual as Architect, Palazzo del Té, Mantua, The Alberti Group/Olivetti.
1991 Work exhibited, Royal Academy, London
- 2010, Author, book review: What is Architectural History?, by Andrew Leach, Polity, Cambridge 2010, in Architecture Research Quarterly vol. 15, no. 1, 2010, pp. 81-83.
- 2008, Author, book review: Modern Architecture through Case Studies, by Peter Blundell-Jones, Architectural Press, Oxford 2002; and Modern Architecture through Case Studies 1945-1990, Peter Blundell-Jones and Eamonn Canniffe, Architectural Press, Oxford 2007, in Architecture Research Quarterly vol. 12, no. 2, 2008, pp. 183-186.
- 2007, Translator (from Spanish) book chapter “Spain” in Andrew Peckham, Torsten Schmiedeknecht, Charles Rattray auths. & eds. Rationalist Traces, AD vol. 77 Issue 5 Wiley, London. ISBN 0470028378, 9780470028377
- 2005, co-Author, book chapter (with Charles Rattray) “Prologue”, to An Architect’s Guide to Fame ed. by Paul Davies & Torsten Schmiedeknecht, Architectural Press, Oxford, pp. xv-xxiii. ISBN 0 7506 5967 X.
- Author, educational research report: Efficient Learning in the Architecture Design Studio; Early Years, Report for CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment), http://cebe.cf.ac.uk/projects/edg/edg04/resources/DavidVila/DavidVila.pdf
- 2004, Author, book review: Building Ideas. An Introduction to Architectural Theory Jonathan A. Hale, Wiley, Chichester, 2000 Published by CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment) http://www.cebe.ltsn.ac.uk
- Author, book review: Introduction to building Derek Osbourn & Roger Greeno, Pearson/Prentice Hall, London, 3rd Edition 2002 Published by CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment) http://www.cebe.ltsn.ac.uk
- 2003, Referee for successful AHRB grant (£40,000.oo)
- Translator, paper (from Italian) “From the Vault of the Heavens”, Marco Jaff NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective April 2003 (WEB http://www.nexusjournal.com/Jaff.html ), Autumn 2003 (print)
- Author, paper “The Diminution of the Classical Column: Visual Sensibility in Antiquity and the Renaissance” NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective April 2003 (http://www.nexusjournal.com/VilaDomini.html), Autumn 2003 (print)
- Journal (guest) Editor NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective April 2003 (http://www.nexusjournal.com/index_v5n1.html), Autumn 2003 (print)
• Editorial; http://www.nexusjournal.com/Letter_editor_v5n1.html
• Speculations on the Origin of Perspective, Richard Talbot
• Distance to the Perspective Plane, Tomás García-Salgado
• Perspective as a Symmetry Transformation, György Darvas
• From the Vault of the Heavens, Marco Jaff
• The Diminution of the Classical Column: Visual Sensibility in Antiquity and the Renaissance, David Vila Domini
• Book reviews
- Author, paper “Building Identity; The Scottish Parliament” I Architektoniki os Techne (Architecture as Art) no. 8, August 2003, pp. 28-30 published by the Association of Architects in Thessaloniki
- 2002, Author, book review "Review of Vermeer's Camera by Philip Steadman and Secret Knowledge by David Hockney" Nexus Network Journal, vol. 4, no. 4 (Autumn 2002), http://www.nexusjournal.com/reviews_v4n4-Domini.html
- 2001, Author, book review Vermeer's Camera: the Truth behind the Masterpieces, by Philip Steadman; and Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters, by David Hockney Architecture Research Quarterly Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 373-375. 2001.
- 2000, Author, paper "Column Marginalia", Architecture Research Quarterly 4, 3, pp. 286-288.
- 1998, Curator (Exhibition), Editor (Catalogue) The Scottish Parliament Architectural Competition, Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.
- 1997, Author, paper Barcelona, Urban and Architecture Developments; the last decades, Mac Journal 3, Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow.
- 1996, Author, research paper “The Diminution of the Column in Alberti and Vitruvius; Concerning Optical Corrections” Edinburgh Architecture Research no. 23, 1996, pp. 24-49.
- 1995, Editor, academic journal Edinburgh Architecture Research (EAR) vol. 22, (yearly journal), Department of Architecture, Edinburgh University.
- 1994, Author, research paper The Palace of the Aljafería; An Approximation to Beauty, Spazio e Società 67, Milan, July-September 1994