|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263509|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Course Leader MArch/BSc Part II.
- Architecture Design Studio Tutor
- Lecturer in History and Theory of Architecture
- Part I, Part II RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of Bath
- BSc General Architectural Studies, University of Bath
- Diploma in English Studies (Language and Literature) Cambridge University
Research Interests / Professional Background
- Director of Architect’s Practice EIGHTYSEVEN
- Architecture Design
- History & Theory of Architecture
- Renaissance & Classicism
- Contemporary Spanish Architecture
- 20th Century Parliamentary Architecture
- The Palace of the Aljafería
Additional Information / Media Work / Funding
- Referee for successful AHRB grant (£40,000.00)
- 2013: Royal Scottish Academy Opportunities Exhibition, Northern Light (1 panel) Exhibited (with EIGHTYSEVEN)
- 2013: Royal Scottish Academy Exhibition, 2 Studios Exhibited (with EIGHTYSEVEN)
- 2012: NEOS (North East Open Studios) Exhibitions (with EIGHTYSEVEN)
- 2010: Launch of EIGHTYSEVEN website showcasing design work
- 2008-09: Bathing Beauties, seaside development competition exhibited at several locations in UK
- 2006: Artist Studio built design featured in Timber Skins Exhibition, Scott Sutherland School
- 1998: Curator, The Scottish Parliament Architectural Competition, Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.
- 1995: Curator, Competition entries exhibited, RIAS Gallery.
- 1994: Researcher, Leon Battista Alberti, The Intellectual as Architect, Palazzo del Té, Mantua, The Alberti Group/Olivetti.
- 1991: Work exhibited, Royal Academy, London
Author, “On the Making of Architectural History”, book review of What is Architectural History by Andrew Leach, in Architecture Research Quarterly vol. 15, no. 1 (Spring 2011) pp. 81-83.
Author, book review: Modern Architecture through Case Studies, by Peter Blundell-Jones, Architectural Press, Oxford 2002; and Modern Architecture through Case Studies 1945-1990, Peter Blundell-Jones and Eamonn Canniffe, Architectural Press, Oxford 2007, in Architecture Research Quarterly vol. 12, no. 2, 2008, pp. 183-186.
Translator (from Spanish) book chapter “Spain” in Andrew Peckham, Torsten Schmiedeknecht, Charles Rattray auths. & eds. Rationalist Traces, AD vol. 77 Issue 5 Wiley, London. ISBN 0470028378, 9780470028377
Co-Author, book chapter (with Charles Rattray) “Prologue”, to An Architect’s Guide to Fame ed. by Paul Davies & Torsten Schmiedeknecht, Architectural Press, Oxford, pp. xv-xxiii. ISBN 0 7506 5967 X.
Author, educational research report: Efficient Learning in the Architecture Design Studio; Early Years, Report for CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment),
Author, book review: Building Ideas. An Introduction to Architectural Theory Jonathan A. Hale, Wiley, Chichester, 2000, Published by CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment)
Author, book review: Introduction to building Derek Osbourn & Roger Greeno, Pearson/Prentice Hall, London, 3rd Edition 2002, Published by CEBE (Centre for Education in the Built Environment)
Translator, paper (from Italian) “From the Vault of the Heavens”, Marco Jaff, NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective, April 2003
Author, paper “The Diminution of the Classical Column: Visual Sensibility in Antiquity and the Renaissance”,NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective, April 2003
Journal (guest) Editor, NEXUS Network Journal Architecture and Mathematics, Special Issue on Optics and Perspective, April 2003
- Speculations on the Origin of Perspective, Richard Talbot
- Distance to the Perspective Plane, Tomás García-Salgado
- Perspective as a Symmetry Transformation, György Darvas
- From the Vault of the Heavens, Marco Jaff
- The Diminution of the Classical Column: Visual Sensibility in Antiquity and the Renaissance, David Vila Domini
- Book reviews
Author (with R. Bailey) paper, “Building Identity; The Scottish Parliament” I Architektoniki os Techne (Architecture as Art) no. 8, August 2003, pp. 28-30 published by the Association of Architects in Thessaloniki (Result of research funded by Carnegie Travel Grant)
Author, book review "Review of Vermeer's Camera by Philip Steadman and Secret Knowledge by David Hockney" Nexus Network Journal, vol. 4, no. 4 (Autumn 2002),
Author, book review "Vermeer's Camera: the Truth behind the Masterpieces", by Philip Steadman; and "Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters", by David Hockney, Architecture Research Quarterly Vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 373-375. 2001.
Author, paper, "Column Marginalia", Architecture Research Quarterly 4, 3, pp. 286-288.
Curator (Exhibition), Editor (Catalogue), The Scottish Parliament Architectural Competition, Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.
Author, paper, Barcelona, Urban and Architecture Developments; the last decades, Mac Journal 3, Mackintosh School of Architecture, Glasgow.
Author, research paper, “The Diminution of the Column in Alberti and Vitruvius; Concerning Optical Corrections”, Edinburgh Architecture Research no. 23, 1996, pp. 24-49.
Editor, academic journal, Edinburgh Architecture Research (EAR) vol. 22, (yearly journal), Department of Architecture, Edinburgh University.
Author, research paper, The Palace of the Aljafería; An Approximation to Beauty, Spazio e Società 67, Milan, July-September 1994