|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262561|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lecturer in Surface Chemistry and Drug Delivery at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
Current Research Interests
Dr Thompson's research interests include:
- Polymer-drug conjugates
- Drug micro- and nano-encapsulation
- Polyelectrolyte delivery systems
- Oral protein delivery
Dr. Thompson teaches a variety of undergraduate modules across all four years on the MPharm course. He also the module coordinator for both Project modules on the MPharm.
- MPharm (Hons) 1st Class, RGU 2002
- PhD in Pharmaceutics, RGU 2007
Dr Thompson has been an undergraduate, postgraduate and research fellow within the School and a lecturer in Pharmaceutical Science since July 2009. He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Member of the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Key Publications (Present - 2008)
- Ibie, C. O., Thompson, C. J. and Knott, R., 2015. Synthesis, characterisation and in vitro evaluation of novel thiolated derivatives of polyallylamine and quaternised polyallylamine. Colloid and Polymer Science 293(6), 1737-1748.
- Ibie, C. O., Knott, R. and Thompson, C. J., 2015. In-vitro evaluation of the effect of polymer structure on uptake of novel polymer-insulin polyelectrolyte complexes by human epithelial cells. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 479, 103-117.
- Thompson, C. J. and Ibie, C. O., 2011. The oral delivery of proteins using interpolymer polyelectrolyte complexes. Therapeutic Delivery 2(12), 1611-1631.
- Chemically Modified Polyelectrolytes for Intestinal Peptide and Protein Delivery, by C. Thompson and W. P. Cheng. In: Peptide and Protein Delivery, C Van der Walle (Ed.). Elsevier: London, 2011.
- Thompson C. J., Cheng W. P., Gadad P., Skene K., Smith M., Smith G., McKinnon A., Knott R., 2011. Uptake and Transport of Novel Amphiphilic Polyelectrolyte-Insulin Nanocomplexes by Caco-2 Cells-Towards Oral Insulin. Pharmaceutical Research, 28(4), 886-896.
- Cheng, W. P., Thompson, C., Ryan, S. M., Aguirre, T., Tetley, L. and Brayden, D. J., 2010. In vitro and in vivo characterisation of a novel peptide delivery system: Amphiphilic polyelectrolyte-salmon calcitonin nanocomplexes. Journal of Controlled Release 147(2), 289-297.
- Thompson, C. J., Tetley, L. and Cheng, W.P., 2010. The influence of polymer architecture on the protective effect of novel comb shaped amphiphilic poly(allylamine) against in vitro enzymatic degradation of insulin:Towards oral insulin delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 383, 216-227.
- Thompson, C. J., Tetley, L. and Cheng, W.P., 2009. The influence of polymer architecture on the protective effect of novel comb shaped amphiphilic poly(allylamine) against in vitro enzymatic degradation of insulin towards oral insulin delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 376, 46–55.
- Thompson, C. J., Uchegbu, I. F., Tetley, L. and Cheng, W.P., 2009. The use of novel combed shaped amphiphilic polymers for oral delivery of insulin. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 376 (1-2), 46-55.
- Thompson, C.J., Hansford, D., Higgins, S., Rostron, C., Hutcheon, G.A. and Munday, D.L., 2009. Preparation and evaluation of microspheres prepared from novel polyester-ibuprofen conjugates blended with non-conjugated ibuprofen. Journal of Microencapsulation 26(8), 676-683.
- Thompson, C. J., Ding, C. X., Qu, X. Z., Yang, Z. Z., Uchegbu, I. F., Tetley, L. and Cheng, W.P., 2008. The effect of polymer architecture on the nano self-assemblies based on novel comb-shaped amphiphilic poly(allylamine). Colloid and Polymer Science 286(13), 1511-1526.
- Thompson, C.J., Hansford, D., Higgins, S., Rostron, C., Hutcheon, G.A. and Munday, D.L., 2008. Synthesis and evaluation of novel polyester-ibuprofen conjugates for modified drug release. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 34(8), 877-884.