|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262370|
Dr Officer is a senior lecturer at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences.
He has research interests in the area of lanthanide complexes, environmental tracers and taggants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Module coordinator for modules: Spectroscopy
- Lecturer on the Masters of Pharmacy programme; Medicinal Analysis and Aseptic Control and Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy.
- Lecturer on the PgD / MSc Instrumental Analytical Sciences course; Spectroscopy; Oilfield Chemicals; Environmental Analysis; and DNA Analysis, Proteomics and Metabolomics.
- Lecturer on the BSc (Hons) Forensic Science and Analytical Science course; Oilfield Chemicals, Spectral Analysis & Interpretation.
Dr Officer gained his 1st Class BSc Honours degree in Applied Chemistry in 2001 before completing his PhD entitled “Alternative Strategies for Security Labelling/Encoding of Paper and Plastic Products” in 2005 from The Robert Gordon University. After which he carried out his postdoctoral research advancing the technology developed from his PhD and helped expand the applications into the biomedical and environmental fields. This involved working on various projects funded by industry (NCR Financial Solutions Group Ltd, Dundee, ITI Techmedia and Prime Technologies LLC) which led to filing three patents. He was then appointed as a lecturer in the School of Pharmacy & Life Sciences in 2008.
Dr Officer has research interests in the area of lanthanide complexes, environmental tracers and taggants.
Most recently Dr Officer has been leading a project in collaboration with the James Hutton Institute on the development of a novel environmental tracer. Previously he was part of a team working on a Proof of Concept (PoC) programme funded by the Scottish Enterprise entitled “Smart Self-Sterilising Coatings for Food Preparation Surfaces” where he was developing thin film coatings which can kill bacteria in a number of different applications including kitchen work surfaces. He is also interested in continuing work using fluorescent taggants based on rare earth doped materials in the biomedical and environmental fields.
- 2008 ‘Genesparks’, Proof of Concept Project funded by Scottish Enterprise for £229,000 – As part of the research team.
- 2008 Phase 3 – Smart Sterilising Coating, funded through PoC+ / PRP submission, co-investigator - £69,460
- 2007 Phase 2 - Self Sterilising Coatings, funded through PoC+ / PRP submission, part of the research team - £103,759
- 2006 ITI Techmedia funding for ~£213,000 named researcher
- 2006 Prime Technology, USA funded project for ~£250,000 named researcher.
- 2006 Lanthanide Phase 1 completion, funded by Prime Technology LLC, part of the research team - £16,933
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC)
- CRUICKSHANK, L., OFFICER, S., POLLARD, P., PRABHU, R., STUTTER, M. AND FERNANDEZ, C., 2015, Rare Elements Electrochemistry: The Development of a Novel Electrochemical Sensor for the Rapid Detection of Europium in Environmental Samples Using Gold Electrode Modified with 2-pyridinol-1-oxide, Analytical Sciences, 31(7), pp. 623-627. doi:10.2116/analsci.31.623.
- HAUSER, F.M., KNUPP, G. and OFFICER, S., 2015, Improvement in fingerprint detection using Tb(III)-dipicolinic acid complex doped nanobeads and time resolved imaging, Forensic Science International, 253, pp. 55-63. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2015.05.010
- TIM CUSHNIE, T.P., ROBERTSON, P.K.J., OFFICER, S., POLLARD, P.M., MCCULLAGH, C. and ROBERTSON, J.M.C., 2009, Variables to be considered when assessing the photocatalytic destruction of bacterial pathogens, Chemosphere, 74(10), pp. 1374-1378. doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.11.012.
- TIM CUSHNIE, T.P., ROBERTSON, P.K.J., OFFICER, S., POLLARD, P.M., PRABHU, R., MCCULLAGH, C. and ROBERTSON, J.M.C., 2009, Photobactericidal effects of TiO2 thin films at low temperatures—A preliminary study, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, doi:10.1016/j.jphotochem.2010.06.027.
- TIM CUSHNIE, T.P., ROBERTSON, P.K.J., OFFICER, S., POLLARD, P.M., PRABHU, R., MCCULLAGH, C. and ROBERTSON, J.M.C., 2009, Photobactericidal effects of TiO2 thin films at low temperatures—A preliminary study, Proceedings of SP3 – The Third International Conference on Semiconductor Photochemistry
- POLLARD, P., ADAMS, M., ROBERTSON, P.K.J., CHRISTIDIS, K., OFFICER, S., PRABHU, G.R., GOW, K., and MORRISON, A.R., 2008, Environmental Forensic Investigations: The Potential Use of a Novel Heavy Metal Sensor and Novel Taggants, In: K. RITZ, L. DAWSON and D. MILLER, ed. Criminal and Environmental Soil Forensics. Aberdeen: Springer. pp. 477-490.
- OFFICER, S., CUSHNIE, T., ROBERTSON, P.K.J., ROBERTSON, J.M.C., Coating Process and Coated Products, Patent Filed January 2008
- ROSS, G.A., HUNTER, C., OFFICER, S., PRABHU, G.R. and POLLARD, P., Security Labelling, Patent EP 1491350, 2004
- OFFICER, S., ROSS, G.A., HUNTER, C., POLLARD, P. and PRABHU, G.R., Security Labelling, Patent US 2004262547, 2004
- PRABHU, G.R., OFFICER, S., POLLARD, P. and HUNTER, C., Taggant Coated Glass Beads, Patent Filed 24/12/04
- OFFICER, S., PRABHU, G.R., POLLARD, P., HUNTER, C. and ROSS, G.A. “Novel online security system based on rare-earth-doped glass microbeads”. in Optical Security and Counterfeit Deterrence Techniques V, edited by R.L.van Renesse, Proceedings of SPIE-IS&T Electronic Imaging, SPIE Vol. 5310, 387-395, 2004