|Position:||Undergraduate Programme Leader,Teaching Fellow|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
I am the Undergraduate Programme Leader for the School of Computing Science and Digital Media. Prior to this, I was the Subject Leader for Mathematics and Statistics, I teach modules in both the Computing and Mathematics disciplines.
I am a university Teaching Fellow.
BSc (Hons) in Mathematics, PGCE in Secondary Mathematics Education, MSc in Nuclear and Particle Physics, PhD in Mathematical Physics
My current teaching responsibilities include being part of the teaching teams for:
- CM1013 Collaborative and Professional Skills
- CM1014 Problem Solving and Modelling
- CM1015 Software Design and Development
- CM2900 Quantitative Methods for Engineers
- CM2901 Mathematics 2
- CM3065 Programming the iPhone
In recent years, I have also taught on a number of other modules including:
- CM1016 Computer Information Systems
- CM1901 Mathematics 1A
- CM1902 Mathematics 1B
- CM3900 Mathematics 3
- CM4907 Applied Cryptography and Secure Systems
Pedagogical Research Interests:
As a university Teaching Fellow, I have an active interest in pedagogical research in a variety of areas of teaching and learning.
- Epistemological and Ontological Commitments of Computing Students
- Concepts of Academic Tenacity, Attention and Focus
- Open-Ended/Ill-Structured Problems
- Pedagogical aspects of technology-assisted teaching and learning
- Professional Competencies and Graduate Attributes
- Reflective Learning in Professional Practice
- Assessment and Feedback Issues
- The First Year Student Experience
- Novice Programming Environments
- Application of Contributing Student Pedagogies
- Development of Intercultural Competences in Computing
In a previous life, I was a mathematical physicist and still retain an interest in the following:
- (Quantum) Group theory
- Geometry (Differential, noncommutative, ... )
- Statistical Mechanics and Information Geometry
- The Philosophy of Science
- Recreational Mathematics
Peer Reviewed original articles
- Mats Daniels, Roger McDermott, Tony Clear and Åsa Cajander. (2014). Collaborative Technologies in Global Engineering: New Competencies and Challenges. International Journal of Engineering Education, volume 31, number 1, pp 267-281, 2015.
- Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, and Roger McDermott. (2012) On Valuing Peers – Theories of Learning and Intercultural Competence". Computer Science Education. pp 319-342
- Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, Roger McDermott and Brian von Konsky (2011). Assessing Professional Skills in Engineering Education. Australian Computer Science Communications, volume 33, number 2, pp 145-154.
Peer Reviewed conferences
- Roger McDermott, Mats Daniels and Åsa Cajander. (2015). Perseverance Measures and Attainment in First Year Computing Science Students. ITiCSE 2015, Vilnius, Lithuania.(in Press).
- Marta Lárusdóttir, Mats Daniels, and Roger McDermott. (2015). "Quality assurance using international curricula and employer feedback." In Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology, vol. 160. 2015.
- Roger McDermott, Julian Bass, and Jay Prakash Lalchandani. (2014) "The learner experience of student-led international group project work in software engineering." In Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2014 IEEE,pp. 1-8. IEEE, 2014.
- Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, Anne-Kathrin Peters, Roger McDermott. (2014) Critical Thinking, Peer-Writing, and the Importance of Feedback. IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Madrid, Spain. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 2014.
- Roger McDermott, Mats Daniels, and Marta Lárusdottír. (2014) "Subject-Level Quality Assurance in Computing–Experiences From Three National Perspectives." In 44th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference.2014. IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 2014
- Roger McDermott , Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, and Ian Pirie. (2013) Contemplations on Results from Investigating the Personal Epistemology of Computing. IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE, Oklahoma City, USA. pp 825-831, IEEE,Piscataway, NJ, 2013.
- Mats Daniels, Åsa Cajander and Roger McDermott. (2013). Using open-ended group projects in HCI courses. Workshop at INTERACT, Cape Town, South Africa. In Challenges from the Future: Bridging the gaps through HCI education, University of Cape Town,South Africa, 2013.
- Roger McDermott, Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, and Ian Pirie. (2013) Investigation into the Personal Epistemology of Computer Science Students. ACM Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Canterbury, England. pp 231-236, ACM Press, New York, 2013.
- Åsa Cajander ,Tony Clear, Mats Daniels, Roger McDermott, Mats Kullhed and Cary Laxer. (2012) Categorizing How Students Use Collaborative Technologies in a Globally Distributed Project. IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE, Seattle,USA.
- Roger McDermott, Mats Daniels, Åsa Cajander, Tony Clear, Mats Kullhed and Cary Laxer. (2012) Student Reflections on Collaborative Technology in a Globally Distributed Project. IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE, Seattle,USA. In Proc. 42nd ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, pp 365-370, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2012.
- Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, Mats Cullhed, Tony Clear, Roger McDermott, and Cary Laxer (2012). Categorizing how students use collaborative technologies in a globally distributed project.. In Proc. 42nd ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, pp 1325-1330, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2012.
- Helena Bernáld, Åsa Cajander, Mats Daniels, Can Kultur, C, Anette Löfström, Roger McDermott, and Lori Russell. (2012). In Advances in Design for Cross-Cultural Activities: Part I, pp 351-361, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2012.
- Carter,Janet, Dennis Bouvier, Rachel Cardell-Oliver, Margaret Hamilton, Stanislav Kurkovsky, Stefanie Markham, O. William McClung et al. "Motivating all our students?." (2011). SIGCSE conference proceedings and publications,43: 182-196, December 2011
- Audrey Fryer, Roger McDermott. (2011) "Stakeholder Responses to the Development of Professional Skills through the use of Live Projects", Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Conference of the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences, University of Ulster, Aug 23rd –25th 2011.
- Roger McDermott, Garry Brindley, Gordon Eccleston, and Audrey Fryer. (2011). "Using Screencasts to Teach Elementary Programming", Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Conference of the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences, University of Ulster, Aug 23rd – 25th2011.
- Roger McDermott, Garry Brindley, Gordon Eccleston, (2010). "Developing tools to encourage Reflection in First Year Students Blogs", (2010). In Proceedings of the fifteenth annual conference on Innovation and technology in computer science education, pp. 147-151. ACM, 2010.
- Roger McDermott, Garry Brindley, Gordon Eccleston, (2009). "Developing Tools for Reflection on Learning in First Year Student Blogs", (Proceedings of the Tenth Annual Conference of the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences, University of Kent at Canterbury, Aug 25th– 27th, 2009.
- Roger McDermott, Garry Brindley, Gordon Eccleston, (2008). "Embedding Institutional Curricular Priorities in the First Year - A Case Study From RGU",(2008). Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Conference of the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Information and Computer Sciences, Liverpool Hope University, Aug 26th – 28th, 2008.