|Position:||Lecturer, School of Engineering|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Research (Member of IDEAS Research Institute, Robert Gordon University)
- Member of Undergraduate Marketing Team
Dr Sheikh Islam is a lecturer at the School of Engineering of the Robert Gordon University. Dr. Islam gained his PhD from Robert Gordon University through research on computational fluid dynamics modelling of Proton exchange membrane fuel cell. His research interests include PEM fuel cell as an energy storage device, CFD modelling of multi-phase flows, CFD modelling of wind turbine & heat transfer from finned tube banks, Thermosyphon & fluidized bed heat exchanger for industrial application. Dr. Islam is involved in applying computational modelling techniques and optimization to solve some of the most challenging and interesting problems related to emerging energy sources such as fuel cell and wind/ tidal turbine.
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, The Robert Gordon University, November 2012 – Present
- Project Research Assistant, ASTUTE (Advanced Sustainable Manufacturing Technologies), Swansea University, Swansea, January 2012 - November 2012
- Visiting Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering and Construction, Aberdeen College, Aberdeen, February 2011 - July 2011
- Teaching Assistant, School of Engineering, The Robert Gordon University, February 2009 – July 2011.
- Team Leader Operations, BAT (British American Tobacco) Bangladesh Company Limited. March 2006 - August 2006.
- Research Assistant, Kongju National University, Thermo-fluid lab, Department of Mechanical Engineering, March 2004– February 2006.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, April 2003 – February 2004
- Fuel cell & Energy storage device ( Numerical and analytical model development for performance optimization and multiphase flow through porous medium)
- Renewable energy (Wind / Tidal Turbine: Development of new design and performance optimization)
- Thermosyphon & fluidized bed heat exchanger design (For process heating and waste gas heat recovery - Mathematical and Numerical model development)
- Oil and Gas Industry (Flow through porous media, Sand Transport in flowline)
Lecture undergraduate students in the following modules:
- EN1702 - Thermofluids 1
- EN2702 - Thermofluids 2
- EN2700 - Mechanical Engineering Design 2
- EN2703 - Mechanical Engineering Design 1
- EN3700 - Industrial Plant
- EN4500 - Engineering Analysis 2
- EN4701- Failure Analysis
- ENM 615 - Safety and Reliability Management (Module Coordinator)
- EN5501 - Advanced Thermofluids
Project supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students in mechanical, oil and gas engineering.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK, 2012
- M.Sc. Space Science, University of Würzburg, JMUW, Germany, 2009
- M.Sc. Space Technology, Luleå University of Technology, LTU, Sweden, 2008
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Kongju National University (KNU) Republic of Korea, 2006
- B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Eng. & Tech. (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2003
- Jun, Y.D. and Lee, K.B, Islam S. Z., Ko, S.B., Fouling reduction Characteristics of a No-Distributor-Fluidized-Bed heat exchanger for Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Heat Transfer Engineering, Taylor & Francis, Inc., USA, 2008, 29:9, 822-829, doi:10.1080/01457630802053884
- Hossain, M., Islam S. Z. and Pollard, P., Numerical study of the effect of effective diffusivity coefficient and permeability of gas diffusion layer on fuel cell performance, IMECHE Journal of Power and Energy, 2012, 226(7), pp.907-921. doi:10.1177/0957650912454402
- Hossain, M., Islam S. Z. , Davies, A. C. and Adom, E., Water dynamics inside a cathode channel of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell, Renewable Energy, Elsevier, 2013, 50, pp. 763-779. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.08.041
- Hossain, M., Islam S. Z. and Pollard, P., Investigation of species transport in a gas diffusion layer of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell through two-phase modelling. Renewable Energy, Elsevier, 2013, 51, pp. 404-418. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.10.008
- Jun, Y.D. and Lee, K.B, Islam S. Z., Ko. S.B., Kader M. F., Study of the Effect of Particle Size on the Heat Transfer in a Fluidized Bed Heat Exchanger, 12th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics, 18-21 August, 2008, Daejeon, South Korea. (T-3A-2)
- Adom, E, Islam, S. Z., P. Kew, Boiling heat transfer on the outside of a miniature diameter compact tube bundle. Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, 2010.London, U.K, Vol. III, pp 2331-2336, ISBN: 978-988-182810-8-9
- Islam S. Z., Hossain, M., Pollard, P., A parametric study to predict performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cell. 4th World Hydrogen Technologies Convention, September 2011, Glasgow. UK. (Paper No: 0130)
- Hossain, M., Islam S. Z., Investigation of the performance of PEM fuel cells through CFD modelling. 10th Hypothesis Hydrogen Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 11-12 June 2013.