|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262351|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Energy, Environment and Sustainability Theme Leader, Institute of Design, Environment and Sustainability (IDEAS)
- 2nd Year Tutor
- Convener of the Departmental Research Committee
- Member of Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee
- Member of Undergraduate Course Panel
- Member of Teaching and Learning Committee
- PgCertHELT Department for the Enhancement of Learning, Teaching and Assessment, Robert Gordon University, 2009
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK, 1999
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Eng. & Tech. (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1996
- B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Eng. & Tech. (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1993
Research Interests / Professional Background
Dr. Hossain’s interests include fuel cell modelling, advanced combustion modelling, CFD modelling of multi-phase flows in oil and gas and turbulence-device interaction in tidal stream. Recently, Dr. Hossain has focused his research in Computational Energy Systems. In particular, he is involved in applying computational modelling techniques to solve some of the most challenging and interesting problems related to emerging energy sources such as fuel cell and tidal energy. His recent work includes Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of PEM fuel cell to investigate transport limitations funded by Northern Research Partnership.
Dr. Hossain has extensive collaboration with industry working on investigation of the flow dynamics in a pressure control device under a Catalyst Award in collaboration with Phuel Oil Tools Ltd. Dr. Hossain has also worked as a Co-I for a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project to investigate the coalescing process of oil droplets in collaboration with Opus Plus Ltd. More recently, Dr Hossain has worked with industrial and academic partners in producing scoping reports for National Subsea Research Institute (NSRI) on multiphase flow modelling. Dr Hossain has substantial reputation supported by numerous publications in the field of CFD, combustion, tidal energy and fuel cell.
Additional Information / Media work / Funding
- Flow Modelling Scoping Study, Flow Modelling Scoping Study, National Subsea Research Institute, £2705, 2011.
- Water Dynamics inside a Cathode Channel of a Fuel Cell, IDEAS Summer Student Project, £1440, PI: Mamdud Hossain, Co-I: Eben Adom.
- Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack Modelling for Dynamic Load using Multiphase CFD, Northern Research Partnership, £25,225, November 2008- November, 2001. PI: Mamdud Hossain, Co-I: Mohan Kolhe, University of Dundee.
- CFD Modelling of a Pressure Control Device, Scottish Enterprise and Phuel Oil Tools Ltd, Catalyst Award, £3000, January 2007-June 2007. PI: Mamdud Hossain.
- Mare’s Tail, Knowledge Transfer Partnership, £127472, July 2007-June 2009, PI: Babs Oyeneyin, Co-I: Mamdud Hossain
Professional Body Membership
- Chartered Engineer and a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
1. Hossain, M., Islam, S. Z. and Pollard, P. (2013) Investigation of species transport in a gas diffusion layer of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell through two-phase modelling, Renewable Energy, 51, 404-418. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.10.008.
2. Hossain, M., Davies, A., Adom, E. (2013) Water dynamics inside a cathode channel of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell, Renewable Energy, 50, 763-779. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.08.041.
3. Hossain, M., Islam, S. Z. and Pollard, P. (2012) Numerical study of the effect of effective diffusivity coefficient and permeability of gas diffusion layer on fuel cell performance, Proc. IMechE, Part A: J. Power and Energy, 226(7) 907-921. doi:10.1177/0957650912454402.
4. Hossain, M., Acar, M. and Malalasekera, W. (2009). Modelling of the through-air bonding process. Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 4(2), 1-8.
5. Ravikanti, M, Hossain, M. and M., Malalasekera, W. (2009). Laminar flamelet model prediction of NOx formation in a turbulent bluff-body combustor. Proc. IMechE, Part A: J. Power and Energy, 223(A1), 41-54.
6. Ravikanti, M., Malalasekera, W., Hossain, M. and Mahmud, T. (2008). Flamelet based NOx-radiation integrated modelling of turbulent non-premixed flame using Reynolds-stress closure. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 81, 1-2, 301-319.