|Position:||NRP Professor in Computational Systems|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Ayse Göker is a Professor of Computational Systems at the School of Computing and Digital Media, theme leader in Digital Technologies at the IDEAS Research Institute, and an NRP Chair. She is currently working on the SocialSensor project.
- PhD Information Science, City University, London (1994) - "An investigation into the application of machine learning for information retrieval".
Supervisors: Prof. Stephen Robertson and T.L. McCluskey.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science, City University, London (1988).
Since the early 1990s Professor Goker's research has focused on developing novel search techniques and environments, with an emphasis on personalised and context-sensitive information retrieval. This included the mobile environment through the AmbieSense project, which later was commercialised. She is on the Editorial Board of JASIST, is editor of a book “Information Retrieval: Searching in the 21st Century”, by Wiley, 2009, and holds a lifetime Enterprise Fellowship from the Royal Society of Edinburgh and Scottish Enterprise. She was selected for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Entrepreneurship Development Program in Boston, USA. She has been the Chair of the British Computer Society’s Specialist Group in Information Retrieval, BCS IRSG, (2000-2005), and a finalist in the Blackberry Women & Technology Awards (2005) for best woman in technology (Academia).
Professor Göker has over 20 years research experience in areas including context-learning algorithms, web user logs, personalisation, mobile information systems, and social media. Her work throughout has had a strong user-centred approach to algorithm and search system design, development and evaluation.
SocialSensor (2011 - 2014)
EU-IST Integrated Project
PI for City University London, now RGU. 1 million Euros. Total budget: 10+ million Euros.
Partners include: Yahoo, IBM, Alcatel-Lucent and other European universities. More details of the project and a full list of partners can be found at http://www.socialsensor.eu/. Internal collaborators include academics from journalism.
Focused on novel search, index, and accessing techniques for real-time multimedia content with integration of events in social media.
EPSRC & Technology Strategy Board (TSB), 2010 - 2012
PI for City University London, £112,000.
Partners: Direct Traffic Media (Search Engine Optimisation company), Media Reach (media advertising company).
Investigating the image search and retrieval behaviour of professionals. Developing hybrid approaches from content-based image retrieval and text-based information retrieval techniques to retrieve or filter photographs. Relevant to areas such as news, advertising, blogs, and other social media.
EPSRC & Technology Strategy Board (TSB), £180,000 (2012 - 2014)
Co-PI for City University London.
Partners include: Direct Traffic Media (Search Engine Optimisation company), Media Reach (media advertising company).
Creating, searching, and finding ‘briefs’ for photo retrieval.
Ambiesense EU IST project
IST Programme, 2001-2004
Project leader & PI for RGU and Co-proposer.
€534,000 RGU budget. Total Project Budget: 5.7 Million Euros. Partners: SINTEF Telecom & Informatics (coordinator), Siemens AG., Lonely Planet Publications, Oslo Airport, Reuters Ltd. NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Sevilla Global, YellowMap, CognIT.
Combining environmental context information and individual user context information to develop personalised interactive information services for mobile users. This project researched the future of the Ambient Intelligence Landscape - a landscape where computing surrounds mobile users whilst on the move. It develops ambient, personalised, and context-sensitive information spaces for mobile citizens. The project focuses on travellers and tourists as end users.
AmbieSense: Business Support Application
Scottish Enterprise and Grampian Funding
Principal proposer / project leader: £20,000 (Oct 2004 - Apr 2005). Co-proposer: Stuart Watt.
Continuity funding towards commercial demo for potential investors. Project involves financial contribution and support from SINTEF ICT as part of continued collaboration.
Senior Visiting Fellowship in Communications
The Royal Academy of Engineering, supported by Vodafone Group Foundation
Business Support Application - Scottish Enterprise and Grampian Funding.
Principal proposer / project leader: £4,000 (Feb 2004 - 2006). Co-proposer: Stuart Watt; Fellow: Hans Myrhaug.
Facilitating Information Retrieval by User-Adaptive Learning
EPSRC Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK, 2000.
Principal Investigator / principal proposer (project leader): £60,000. Collaborator: Reuters Ltd.
Using users’ roles and search contexts in order to improve information retrieval system results. Involves Bayesian approaches.
Other Research Projects and Working Group participation
- EU-IST FP7 Webinos Integrated Project, currently in negotiation phase. Total Budget 10 million Euros approximately. R&D for secure Web OS and mobile cloud/platform. Partners from telecom industry, handset manufacturers, SMEs, and universities.
- TMB: TeleMedicine Booth (2005) - In response to the steady reduction in medical services to remote areas, a telemedicine booth (a site where a variety of technologies can be brought together) has been proposed to support generic health workers provide acceptable and effective care to isolated patients in Scotland. Contributing with large scale demonstration expertise, and knowledge in mobile computing and information access.
- INEX (Initiative for the Evaluation of XML Retrieval (2003 - 2006). The widespread use of the extensible Markup Language (XML), especially the increasing use of XML in scientific data repositories, Digital Libraries and on the Web, has arisen in this initiative for developing a test framework for the participants to evaluate their systems.
- WebCluster, IR Group, RGU and Ubilab – Union Bank of Switzerland. (1998 - 1999). Based on using clustering techniques to provide mediated access / portals to the Web.
- User Context Learning for Intelligent Information Retrieval, IR Group, RGU and Reuters Ltd. Based on approach involving Bayesian techniques and user log data for Web users.
- Mira working group concentrating on the evaluation on Multimedia Information Retrieval Systems, in particular interactive systems. (Mira - Evaluation Frameworks for Interactive Multimedia Information Retrieval Applications.) (1999)
Awards, Honors, Prizes, Fellowships
- MIT EDP Team Winner (2009) (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Entrepreneurship Development Programme, business plan competition, team member in top 3 winning groups)
- Royal Society of Edinburgh Enterprise Fellow (2005 - )
- Blackberry Women in IT 2005 – Finalist (Academia)
- Honorary Reader, School of Computing, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen (2007 - )
- Teaching Award (2009) – nominee, for quality and innovation, by students, City University
- British Council FCO Sponsorship for the majority of the duration of the PhD course
- Robert Kitchin Award (1989, and 1990) during PhD
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Sponsorship (1992) for Course in Electronic Data Processing, Tokyo, Japan
- Rotary Group Study Exchange Bursary (1995) to Washington D.C., and Maryland
- Professor, School of Computing, Robert Gordon University, 2012 –
- Senior Lecturer, School of Informatics, City University London, 2006-2012
- Honorary Reader, School of Computing, The Robert Gordon University, 2007– present
- Reader, School of Computing,The Robert Gordon University, 2005-2006
- Senior Lecturer, School of Computing, The Robert Gordon University, 2001-2005
- Lecturer, School of Computing & Mathematics, The Robert Gordon University, 1998-2001
- Co-Deputy Chair, Bilkent University, Turkey, 1997-1998
- Assistant Professor, Bilkent University, Turkey, 1994-1998
- Research Assistant, Centre for Interactive Systems Research, City University, 1988-1992
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Information Science, City University, 1988-1993
- Graduate Student Representative, School of Informatics, City University, 1988-1991
- Industrial Placement Trainee, Systems Development, BP Oil Ltd., 1986-1987
- Chair of BCS-IRSG (British Computer Society - Information Retrieval Specialist Group, April 2000 - 2005)
- BCS-IRSG Committee Member (1999 -)
- JASIST (Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology) Editorial Board Member (2008 – present)
- ACM-SIGIR (Specialist Interest Group in Information Retrieval) Annual Conference Committee / Reviewer (2001 – )
- IRSG/ECIR (European Conference in Information Retrieval) Programme Committee / Reviewer (1999 – )
- Journal of Information Retrieval – Web Information Retrieval, Special Issue (2004).
- Journal of Information Processing Management (2004 - 2005)
- IIiX 2006 – Second Symposium on Information Interaction in Context, Committee / Reviewer
- ACM-SAC (Symposium on Applied Computing) (2002, 2003)
- Norwegian Research Council R&D Proposal Reviewer (2004 – )
- EU-IST R&D Project Reviewer (2005 – )
- UK ESRC Project Reviewer (2012 – )
- IIiX 2006 –Symposium on Information Interaction in Context, Committee
- UM2005 International Conference on User Modeling, Organising Committee, and Publicity Chair
- UM2003 International Conference on User Modeling, Organising Committee
- UM2002 Workshop on User Modeling, Machine Learning and Information Retrieval, Organising Committee
- UM2001 Workshop on User Modeling, Machine Learning and Information Retrieval, Organiser
- CoLIS 2005 Conceptions of Library and Information Science, Doctoral Consortium Program Committee
- IRSG 2000 (Now ECIR – European Conference in Information Retrieval), Programme Chair
- Journal of the ASIST (American Society for Information Science & Technology, 2008 – present)
- BCS / BCS IRSG Karen Sparck Jones Award Chair (2009 - 2013)
- Google EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) Faculty Summit Zurich, Switzerland (2009)
- IIiX (Information Retrieval and Interaction in Context) 2008 Panel Member
- IiiX 2008 Tutorial – Mobile Information Retrieval
Book / Monograph
- Goker, A., and Davies, J. Information Retrieval: Searching in the 21st Century. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., ISBN-13: 978-0470027622, November 2009.
- Goker, A. Information in Context: The Mobile Environment. ELPUB 2011, 15th International Conference on Electronic Publishing Digital Publishing and the Mobile Environment, (Keynote) 2011.
- Goker, A. Mobile Information Retrieval. BCS IRSG Industry Day (Invited talk), 2009.
Conferences, Journals, Workshops, Reports
- Göker, A., Butterworth, R., MacFarlane, A., Ahmed, T.S. and Stumpf, S., (2016). Expeditions through image jungles: The commercial use of image libraries in an online environment. Journal of Documentation, 72(1), pp.5-23.
- Konkova, E., MacFarlane, A. and Goker, A., Analysing Creative Image Search Information Needs. Knowledge Organization Journal.
- Palomino, M., Taylor, T., Göker, A., Isaacs, J. and Warber, S., (2016). The Online Dissemination of Nature–Health Concepts: Lessons from Sentiment Analysis of Social Media Relating to “Nature-Deficit Disorder”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(1), p.142.
- Pedersen, S., Baxter, G., Burnett, S.M., MacLeod, I., Goker, A., Heron, M., Isaacs, J., Elyan, E. and Kaliciak, L., (2015). Twitter response to televised political debates in Election 2015.
- McLaverty, P., MacLeod, I., Tait, E., Baxter, G., Göker, A. and Heron, M., (2015). New Radicals? Digital Political Engagement in Post-Referendum Scotland.
- Gaber, M.M., Cocea, M., Wiratunga, N. and Goker, A. eds., (2015). Advances in social media analysis (Vol. 602). Springer.
- Kaliciak, L., Myrhaug, H., Goker, A. and Song, D., (2015), July. Adaptive relevance feedback for fusion of text and visual features. In Information Fusion (Fusion), 2015 18th International Conference on (pp. 1322-1329). IEEE.
- Martin, C., Corney, D., and Goker, A. (2015). Mining newsworthy topics from social media. In Advances in Social Media Analysis. In Studies in Computational Intelligence 602, Gaber et al (Eds) pp.21-44. Springer, 2015.
- Kaliciak, L., Myrhaug, H., Goker, A. and Song, D., (2015). Early Fusion and Query Modification in Their Dual Late Fusion Forms. ISIF Journal of Advances in Information Fusion.
- Kaliciak, L., Myrhaug, H., Goker, A. and Song, D., (2014), July. On the duality of specific early and late fusion strategies. In Information Fusion (FUSION), 2014 17th International Conference on (pp. 1-8). IEEE.
- Konkova, E., Goker, A.S., Butterworth, R. & MacFarlane, A. (2014). Social Tagging: Exploring the Image, the Tags, and the Game. Knowledge Organization, 41(1), pp. 57-65.
- Schifferes, S., Newman, N., Thurman, N., Corney, D.P.A., Goker, A. and Martin C. (2014). “Identifying and verifying news through social media: Developing a user centred tool for professional journalists,” Journal of Digital Journalism.
- Kompatsiaris, I.; Diplaris, S.; Corney, D.; Heise, N.; Klusch, M.; Jaho, E.; Geurts, J.; Liu, Y.; Petkos, G.; Papadopoulos, S.; Sarris, N.; Goker, A.; Spangenberg, J. (2014): Real-Time Social Media Indexing and Search. Proc. International Broadcasting Convention (IBC), 12-16 September, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Faily, S., Lyle, J., Fléchais, I., Atzeni, A., Cameroni, C., Myrhaug, H., Göker, A. and Kleinfeld, R., 2014. Authorisation in Context: Incorporating Context-Sensitivity into an Access Control Framework. In: 28th British HCI Group Annual Conference on People and Computers: Sand, sea and Sky. 9-12 September 2014 Southport, UK. British Computer Society.
- Cifuentes J.D.M, Myrhaug, H., Göker, A., and MacFarlane (2014) "Curiosity driven search: When is relevance irrelevant?", IIIX 2014 Information Interaction in Context, 26-30 August, Regensburg, Germany.
- Corney, D., Martin, C., Göker, A. (2014) "Spot the ball: Detecting sports events on Twitter", ECIR2014 (Advances in Information Retrieval), Amsterdam, Holland, Apr. 2014, pp. 449-454. Pre-print.
- Corney, D., Martin, C., Göker, A. (2014) "Two sides to every story: Subjective event summarization of sports events using Twitter," ICMR2014 1st Workshop on Social Multimedia and Storytelling, Glasgow, UK, Apr. 2014. Pre-print.
- Martin, C. and Göker, A. (2014) "Real-time Topic Detection with Bursty N-grams", Proceedings of the SNOW 2014 Data Challenge, Seoul, Korea, April 8, 2014, pp 9-16.
- Konkova, E., Goker, A., Butterworth, R., and MacFarlane, A. (2014). Social tagging: Exploring the image, the tags, and the game. Knowledge Organization, Vol. 41, No., 1, 2014. pp 57-65.
- Schifferes, S., Newman, N., Thurman, N., Corney, D.P.A., Goker, A. and Martin C. (2014) "Identifying and verifying news through social media: Developing a user-centred tool for professional journalists," Digital Journalism.
- Martin, C., Corney, D., Goker, A., and MacFarlane, A. (2013) "Mining Newsworthy Topics from Social Media", BCS SGAI Workshop on Social Media Analysis, Cambridge, December 2013. Full proceedings.
- Corney, D., Martin, C., Göker, A., Spyromitros-Xioufis, E., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Y., Aiello, L., and Thomee, B., "SocialSensor: Finding diverse images at MediaEval 2013," in MediaEval Workshop, Barcelona, Spain, Oct. 2013.
- Martin, C., Corney, D.P.A., Göker, A. (2013) "Finding newsworthy topics on Twitter", IEEE Computer Society Special Technical Community on Social Networking E-Letter, vol. 1, no. 3, September 2013.
- Corney, D., Martin, C., Göker, A., Spyromitros-Xioufis, E., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Y., Aiello, L., and Thomee, B. (2013). "SocialSensor: Finding diverse images at MediaEval 2013," in MediaEval Workshop, Barcelona, Spain, Oct. 2013.
- Schifferes, S., Newman, N., Thurman, N., Corney, D.P.A., Goker, A. and Martin C. (2013) "Identifying and verifying news through social media: Developing a user-centred tool for professional journalists," The Future of Journalism Conference, 12-13 September 2013, Cardiff, UK.
- Aiello, L., Petkos, G., Martin, C., Corney, D., Papadopoulos, S., Skraba, R., Göker, A., Kompatsiaris, I., Jaimes, A. (2013). "Sensing trending topics in Twitter." IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 15(6)
- Diplaris, S., Petkos, G., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Y., Sarris, N., Martin, C., Goker, A., Corney, D.P.A., Geurts, J., Liu, Y., Point, J-C. (2012) "SocialSensor: Surfacing Real-Time Trends and Insights from Multiple Social Networks," presented at the 2012 NEM Summit, Istanbul, Turkey, 16-18 October, 2012.
- Diplaris, S., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, I., Goker, A., Macfarlane, A., Spangenberg, J., Hacid, H., Maknavicius, L, and Klusc, M. SocialSensor: Sensing User Generated Input for Improved Media Discovery and Experience. WorldWideWeb Conference 2012 (WWWW), Lyon, France.
- Diplaris, S., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Petkos, G., Goker, A., Corney, D., Martin, C., Geurst, J. SocialSensor: Real-time Multimedia Indexing and Search in the Social Web. NEM - Summit (Networked and Electronic Media), Istanbul, Turkey, 2012.
- Butterworth, R., and Goker, A. The potential of a 'high density' image retrieval interface. HCIIR 2011 (Human Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval, Oct 2011, Google Mountainview, CA.
- Lyle, J., Faily, S., Flechais, I. Paul, A. Goker, A., Myrhaug, H., , Desruelle, H., and Martin, A.: On the Design and Development of webinos: A Distributed Mobile Application Middleware. In proceedings of DAIS - 12th IFIP International Conference on Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems, Stockholm, 14-15 June 2012.
- Butterworth, R. and Goker, A. The potential of a ‘high density’ image retrieal interface. 5th Workshop on Human Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval, Google Mountainview, CA, USA.
- Goker, A., Myrhaug, H., and Bierig, R. Context in Information Retrieval. In: Goker, A., and Davies, J. (Eds) Information Retrieval: Searching in the 21st Century. John Wiley and Sons., 2009, pp. 131-158.
- Mountain, D., Myrhaug, H., and Goker, A. Mobile Search. In: Goker, A., and Davies, J. (Eds) Information Retrieval: Searching in the 21st Century. John Wiley and Sons, 2009, pp.103-130.
- Goker A. and Myrhaug H. Evaluation of a mobile information system in context. Information Processing & Management Journal, Special Issue on "Evaluating Interactive Information Retrieval Systems" Eds: Borlund P., and Ruthven I. 44(1), November 2007, 327-338.
- Bierig R., and Goker A. Time, location and interest: an empirical and user-centred study. Proceedings of the international conference on Information Interaction in Context. 2006. p 79-87.