|Position:||Learning Excellence Leader|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263702|
Theo is Learning Excellence Leader for the School and lectures in Architecture and Architectural Technology modules.
Theodoros Dounas is an award-winning chartered architect and academic, investigating in computation and fabrication in architecture and design, with practice experience in complex buildings of all scales. He has been practising since 2004 with buildings, studies and competitions undertaken all over the world but mainly in Greece and China. He is the founding partner of the studio 'Adventurous Architecture'. He is currently Learning Excellence Leader at the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and the Built Environment in Aberdeen, Scotland.
He lived and worked in China for six years where he was one of the founding members of a new school of Architecture in Suzhou. He has been teaching in architecture schools and colleges in Europe and China for 13 years and has experience with basic and applied research in architectural design. His design and research work has been published internationally and he has received awards for teaching, research and architectural design. His main research deals with fabrication methods and conceptual computer generative tools in architectural design.
His latest projects include an innovative co-working space in Shanghai and an elevator test Tower in Kunshan.
- Generative systems in Architecture
- Shape grammars
- Lightweight structures
- Dream of the Red Chamber: A project combining innovative teaching and generation of space through dancing.
- Urban Speculative Densities: A project investigating tools to increase and manipulate urban density, in China and in the UK
- Virtual Reality and Heritage: the use of novel, accessible Virtual reality and Augmented Reality techniques to make heritage sites and buildings more accessible to the public.
- Lightweight Fabrication: Textile as concrete reinforcement.
ARB RIAS RIBA TCG (TEEGreece)
External / Professional Roles
- Chartered Architect, UK
Architects' Registration Board Member, July 2017 - present
Royal Incorporation of Architects Scotland Member, August 2017- present
Royal Institute of British Architects Member, August 2017 - present
- Chartered Architect Engineer, Greece & EU
Over sixty Architectural studies, multiple awards at national and international level competitions.
March 2004 -present
- Blender Education Review Board, Founding Member
The board acts as a co-ordination point for education in Blender 3d software worldwide while also acting as a qualifications board for new teachers of blender
- CAADRIA "Association for Computer Aided Architectural Design in Asia" (includes Asia -Pacific Region) – Member & Member of the Paper Review Panel
- eCAADe association "Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe" - Member & Member of the Paper Review Panel
- SIGraDI association 'Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital' member of the paper review panel,
- Technical Chamber of Greece, Member
- Greek Architects' Association, Member
- External Assessor, Promotions Panel, School of Architecture, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
June 2015 - present
- External Assessor, Promotions panel, Department of Architecture, University of Thessaly, Greece
September 2016 - present
Books & Essays:
Dounas, T.(2016), 'Style: In Defence of Constructivism' essay- ebook in the series 'Style:In defence of ...' edited by A.Williams, published by Machine Books. Series co-authors include Patrik Schumacher, Karl Sharro, Annie Warburton, Amin Taha, Robert Adam, Tim Abrahams. 2016
- Williams, A;Dounas, T (eds) (2012): 'Masterplanning The Future: Modernism: East, West & Across the World' proceedings for an international conference held at Xi'anJiaotong - Liverpool University, Suzhou, PR China, October 2012, ISBN978-1-903094-01-3
- Dounas,T (ed)(2007): 'Trainer's Manual for Blender 3d', Editor of the manual and contributor for the animation section of the manual. Interspace Association and MEDIA program, Sofia, Bulgaria, 50 pages December 2007
Contribution in books
- Dounas, T; Kassios, A; Tsopanoglou, G : 'The screen' s Urban Reflection' - project included in the book: Yu-Tung-Liu(ed) Defining Digital Architecture, Publisher dialogue Magazine, Meei Jaw Publications co, Ltd Taipei,Taiwan, ISBN 957-98090-4-6, September 2002
Peer reviewed publications
- Dounas, T. Spaeth, AB. Wu, H. Zhang, CK. (2017) Speculative Urban Typologies, CAADRiA 2017 conference, Xian Jiaotong Liverpool University, Suzhou, China.
- Xiao, L. Dounas,T, Spaeth AB, Galobardes, I, Bissonauth, C. (2017-forthcoming): Robotic Simulation of Textile as Concrete reinforcement and formwork, CAADRIA 2017,Suzhou, China
- Dounas, T. Spaeth,AB. Wu, H. Zhang, CK. (2017): Dense urban typologies and the Game of Life, CAADFutures 2017, Future Trajectories of Computation in Design, Istanbul, Turkey
- Dounas, T. Spaeth,A.B (2016) 'Ubiquitous Digital Repositories In the Design Studio - A Case study 'Herneoja, Aulikki; Toni Österlund and Piia Markkanen (eds.), Complexity & Simplicity - Proceedings of the 34th eCAADe Conference - Volume 1, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland, 22-26 August 2016, pp. 241-249 ISBN 978-94-91207-10-5
- Spaeth, A.B.Dounas, T. Kieferle, J. (2016) 'Complexity and Simplicity - Tensions in teaching computation to large numbers of architecture students' Herneoja, Aulikki; Toni Österlund and Piia Markkanen (eds.), Complexity & Simplicity- Proceedings of the 34th eCAADe Conference - Volume 1, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland, 22-26 August 2016, pp. 229-236 ISBN978-94-91207-10-5
- Dounas, T. and Spaeth, A.B (2014) 'Universal Dovetail Joint'CAADRIA 2014 conference, Kyoto Japan,
- Rethinking Comprehensive Design: Speculative Counterculture, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA2014) / Kyoto 14-16 May 2014, pp. 409–418 ISBN 978-98-81902-65-8 May 2014
- Dounas, T. (2013) 'Some notes on the incompleteness theorem' CAAD Futures 2013 conference, paper published in Springer-Verlag 'Communications in Computer and Information' Series 2013, Global Design and Local Materialization [Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures / ISBN 978-3-642-38973-3 Shanghai,China, July 3-5, 2013, pp. 368-376 July 2013
- Dounas, T. (2012) 'Tactics of interactivity in Virtual Reality: Learning from 3d game tools' in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia / Chennai 25-28 April 2012, pp. 223–232 April 2012
- Dounas, T.;Boubari, E.; Xanthopoulou, S.; Iliadi, N. (2011) 'Virtual and Augmented Reality:Architecture's expansion beyond physical reality -Architecture's recovery as a regulatory environmental factor' in 11th Panhellenic Architecture Conference, Athens, Greece March 2011
- Dounas, T;Sigalas, A. (2009) 'Blender, an Open Source Design Tool: Advances and Integration in the Architectural Production Pipeline source'. In Gulen Galdas,Birgul Colakoglou(ed) Computation: The New Realm of Architectural Design [27theCAADe Conference Proceedings] eCAADe Publications, Istanbul, Turkey pp.737-744 ISBN 978-0-9541183-8-9 September 2009
- Dounas T. (2009)'Animation as a Framework for Generative Design' In Gulen Galdas, BirgulColakoglou(ed) Computation: The New Realm of Architectural Design [27th eCAADeConference Proceedings] eCAADe Publications, Istanbul, Turkey pp. 213-218 ISBN978-0-9541183-8-9 September 2009
- Dounas, T. (2008)'Dynamic Algebras and Grammars'. In M. Muylle (ed) Architecture in Computro [26th eCAADeConference Proceedings], eCAADe Publications, Antwerpen, Belgium, pp. 429-436. ISBN978-0-9541183-7-2 September 2008
- Dounas,T.; Kotsiopoulos M.A. (2008) 'Dynamic (Shape) Grammars' In Beyond Computer-Aided Design [Proceedings of the13th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia] CAADRIA publications, Chiang Mai, Thailand, pp. 22-28 April 2008
- Dounas,T. (2008) 'Algebras, Geometries and Algorithms, Or How Architecture fought the Law and the Law Won', In Kostas Terzidis (ed) First International Conference on Critical Digital: What Matters(s)? - Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Boston, Cambridge USA, pp. 111-114 April 2008
- Dounas,T. (2007),'Generative Systems Based on Animation Tools: Shaping Alternatives to Structure and Form in Architectural Design' In Joachim Kieferle (ed) Predicting the Future [25theCAADe Conference Proceedings] eCAADe Publications, Frankfurt am Main, Germany,pp. 245-251 ISBN 978-0-9541183-6-5 September 2007
- Dounas,T.; Kotsiopoulos M.A. (2007),'Generative Systems Based on Animation Tools:Structure and Form of Core Ideas in Architectural Design' in Digitization and Globalization,CAADRIA 2007 [Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, CAADRIA Publications, Nanjing,China, April 2007
- Dounas,T.; Kotsiopoulos A.M (2006), 'Generation of alternative designs in architectural problems using Shape Grammars defined with animation tools - A computer implementation of shape grammars using modelling and animation software',In V.Bourdakis, D.Charitos (ed) Communicating Space(s) [24th eCAADe Conference Proceedings] eCAADe Publications, Volos, Greece, pp. 302-307 ISBN 0-9541183-5-9 September 2006
- Dounas,T (2013) 'Some notes on the incompleteness theorem' in 'Global Design and Local Materialisation' from 'Communications in Computer and Information Science,Volume 369, Publisher Springer-Verlag, pp. 368-375 ISBN 978-3-642-38974-0
Architectural Design Studies: publications
- Two awarded architecture studies from Architecture competitions: 'Central Square in the city of Kavala, Greece' and 'Urban Design Competition in Central Square, Kilkis, Greece' in 'ARXITEKTONES' magazine published by the Architect's association in Greece. pp.59 & 74 respectively February 2009
- Architectural study 'Multi unit housing in Asvestohori, Thessaloniki, Greece' In the catalogue of 5th Young Greek Architects biennial. December2007
- Two Architectural Studies, House 'Valerianos' [Realized] and 'Screen's Urban Reflection' in the catalogue "META" 5th Architectural exhibition, in Thessaloniki, Greece October2005
- Winner, Backbone Scientific and Education talents 2015
Suzhou SIP Nominated by the University for prominent contributions in Teaching and Research, 36.000RMB per year. 2015
- Winner 'Innovative teaching practice at Xi'an JiaoTong - Liverpool University'
Teaching development fund project 'Digital sketching as a generative system' nominated by the year 4 students and colleagues, 2015
- Named 'Urgently Needed Talent' by Jinji Lake Double Hundred Talents Award Programme
Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, China. Duration one year, salary supplement of 42.000RMB/ 4.200GBP per year. 2013
- First Prize for most Creative Architectural Design and Second Prize for most creative structural design
Co-Awarded with Students and colleague C.M.Herr in the International Earthquake Safety Design Competition IDEERS, Taipei, Taiwan ROC, September 2012
- Awarded the 'Young Caadria Award' 2007
Caadria 2007 conference: "Generative Systems based on animation tools: Structure and Form of core ideas in Architectural Design" paper published in the proceedings of CAADRIA 2007, April 2007
- 'Ivan Petrovich Award' runner up for 2nd best presentation by a young researcher.
eCAADe 2006 Conference: Communicating Space(s) – Presented paper on generative systems for production of alternative designs from a given design, September 2006
Architectural Design Awards
- Finalist: Kleemann Elevator testing tower, offices and factory
Invited competition, winner, preliminary study, Kunshan, China November 2015
- 'Selected Award' Shortlisted out of 120 competitors, Interior Architecture Design
Co-working spaces Shanghai, AIM-competition, with Adventurous Architecture, August 2015
- Awarded Third Prize, Urban & Architectural Design Competition
Central Square 'Kapnergati' in the city of Kavala, Greece, in collaboration (50%) with TRP architecture- Architect Nikos Soulakis February 2008
- Awarded Second Prize, Urban Design Competition in Central Square, Kilkis, Greece
Participation as special collaborator in 3d representation and Graphics, in collaboration with Architects Mitsoni Katerina and Athanasios Polyzoidis, July 2007
- Awarded at the 5th Biennale of young Greek architects
the architectural study 'Multiunit Housing in Asvestohori, Thessaloniki', Athens Greece, December 2007
- Awarded First Prize, Architectural competition for the study of an athletic stadium in Thessaloniki in collaboration with "ANCA Architects"
Kassios A and Tsopanoglou G, March 2003
- Awarded Second Prize, International student competition "Balkan city-Stage for the 21st Century"
Multimedia centre in Thessaloniki, ?n collaboration with Kassios A and Tsopanoglou G, September 2000