Management Certificate Online Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate Management Studies
This course is designed for people with employment experience, who do not have a first degree, to gain access to Masters degree courses in Management at Aberdeen Business School. It is delivered completely online and allows those who work full-time or part-time to study at times which suit their own schedules.
The Graduate Certificate Management Studies provides a foundation in management subjects for students with managerial experience and who wish to achieve an undergraduate qualification in management or progress to a postgraduate management course at Aberdeen Business School. It provides students with the knowledge of core management topics and also experience of academic study in preparation for postgraduate study.
This is a management development programme suitable for:
- Non-graduates with a minimum of 5 years management experience who wish to progress to postgraduate study in management
- Managers who wish to update their professional business and management skills
The course is an access to Masters and also a route for graduates of a non-business/management discipline who wish a pre-Masters course in business/management.
The award of a Graduate Certificate in Management Studies is equivalent to SVQ level 4/SCQF level 9 management training. The four modules are studied one at a time, over one academic year, and are assessed by a course work assignment at the end of each module.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD): Individual modules of the course may be studied on a CPD basis with credits awarded for successfully completed modules.
2. What you will study
You will study the following modules:
- Management of People: Development of HR skills and an understanding of how people work together
- Management Environment: This is an introduction to business and management, and examines the key issues associated with the internal and external environment within which organisations operate.
- Managing Finance: Understanding of the published financial statements of an organisation as well as internal management accounting requirements
3. How you will learn
This course is a distance learning course taught through CampusMoodle, the university’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which offers students flexibility of where and when they can study. Distance learning allows students to continue to work full-time without the need for a career break and provides the opportunity to enhance careers through academic study and practical translation of the theory. This can also be a great chance to meet like-minded individuals across a number of industries and develop networking opportunities all via technology.
CampusMoodle offers full open access to tutors and other class members. Students have the benefit of being part of a group of learners with the invaluable opportunity to participate in active, group-related learning within a supportive online community setting. The online campus provides students with course materials which include:
- Online activities
- Discussion forums - student and tutor led
- Up-to-date web technology for delivery methods
- User friendly material
All students are required to fully participate in their online learning experience and engage with the learning process. As online learners, students are part of a 'virtual cohort' and the communication and interaction amongst members of the cohort is a significant aspect of the learning process with a particular emphasis on group-related activities. However, a collaborative learning environment also requires that students become independent 'open learners' and take responsibility for when, where and how their learning occurs.
Once you have received an offer for the course and before enrolment, all successful applicants are offered the chance to log into our virtual learning environment, CampusMoodle. This gives you the opportunity to view course information, ask questions and find out more before you start the course.
4. Entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements, but a minimum of 5 years managerial or supervisory experience is required.
All international students for whom English is not their first language must provide evidence of linguistic ability, by gaining either IELTS 6.5 or its equivalent in TOEFL prior to receiving an unconditional offer of a place on the course. Full information on this can be found on English Language Requirements.
5. Placements and accreditations
Placements are not available on this course as most of our graduate certificate students are already in employment.
The Graduate Certificate Management Studies is not externally accredited, however, successful completion of this course provides access to a range of our Masters level courses, many of which carry professional body recognition and accreditation.
6. Student Funding
- Scottish students can apply to SAAS for any part time funding available. Contact SAAS directly
- English students can apply for loan funding through Student Finance England.
- All students are eligible to pay their fees on an installment basis according to the University payment system.
- Many of our existing students on this course are funded wholly or partially by their employer. Arrangements can be made for the employer to be invoiced.
For further information please contact us or visit Student Finance
7. Course Fees
For Academic Year 2013/2014
- £2,660 entire course
- £680 per 15 credit module for CPD students
For Academic Year 2012/2013
- £2,565 entire course
- £630 per 15 credit module for CPD students
All course fees are reviewed annually and subject to change. Published fees apply to the course's mode of delivery.For further information see Student Finance pages
8. How to apply
Students are grouped into cohorts with the next cohort commencing in September 2013. Applications for admission to the course are NOW OPEN. These should be received by 31 August 2013 to allow sufficient time to process.
Students are required to enrol at least a week prior to the first academic module in order to undertake an on-line induction.
All applications can be made through Apply Online www.rgu.ac.uk/applyonline/
Course Enquiries and Contact
For further course information contact the course leader:
Tel: +44 (0)1224 263861