“We were very impressed by the high standards and level of ability shown by the Robert Gordon University students. The legal profession in Aberdeen is thriving and it’s great to know there’s such a great wealth of graduate talent ready to make its mark on the legal sector.”
Bruce Smith Chairman of Paull and Williamsons
Board of Governors
The Board of Governors is responsible for the overall strategic direction and governance of the University.
The Board's many powers, functions, duties and responsibilities are set out in the University's Statutory Instrument, the Statement of Primary Responsibilities and the Governors' Handbook.
- Statutory Instrument: Robert Gordon University (Scotland) Order of Council 2006 (PDF 55KB) which includes the remit and composition of the Board of Governors.
- Statement of Primary Responsibilities for Governors (PDF 55KB) and also the Code of Conduct for Board of Governors (PDF 91KB).
- Board of Governors' Handbook: August 2016 (PDF 1.70MB)
- Skills Matrix (PDF 100KB)
- HE Governance (Scotland) Bill (PDF 390KB)
Details about the University's two principal committees (Board of Governors and Academic Council) can be found on our Committee pages.
Profiles of Current Governors
Board of Governors Minutes and Meetings
The Board is constituted in accordance with the University's formal committee structure.
Chair: Ms Jennifer Craw
Secretary: Ms Hilary J Douglas
Powers, Functions, Composition and Duties of the Board
Information on the remit, composition, statement of primary responsibilities and code of conduct of the Board of Governors is available on the Governance webpage
Profiles of the Board of Governors
- Board Minute of 30 June 2016 (PDF 270KB)
- Board Minute of 31 March 2016 (PDF 290KB)
- Board Minute of 17 December 2015 (PDF 350KB)
- Board Minute of 1 October 2015 (PDF 255KB)
- Thursday 6 October 2016 in N204, Sir Ian Wood Building, Riverside East
- Thursday 15 December 2016 in H230, Faculty of Health and Social Care
- Thursday 23 March 2017 in H230, Faculty of Health and Social Care
- Thursday 29 June 2017 in H230, Faculty of Health and Social Care
These meetings will commence at 1.00 pm.
Board of Governors Recruitment
The university is currently looking to appoint a number of Independent Governors over the next two years.
Board of Governors Advertisement (PDF 30KB)
Download a brochure for more information about these vacancies:
Board of Governors Recruitment Brochure (PDF 4MB)
Board of Governors Recruitment Brochure (ISSUU)
The Nominations Committee is also keen to receive nominations and build up a pool of potential external Committee members and Board applicants for the future. It is important to note that anyone nominated in this capacity, who then wishes to apply for future Board membership, would need to submit a separate application for this purpose in their own right.